Ignorant Boaters...........

Deepinvet

Featured Posts

Seeing as Phylis appears to have lots of spare time to talk about insurers at present I thought I'd bump this thread so that she could fulfill her promise to enlighten us all on the correct method of operating bridges.

Tony

By all accounts, and despite his widely acclaimed hero status, Tonto was by far academically superior to the Lone Ranger. This was well documented when one night having set up camp in the desert, the Lone Ranger awoke, looked up and gazed fondly at the stars above him. On being mesmerized by the wondrous galaxy overhead, he shook the sleeping Tonto camped next to him and asked him to lift his gaze towards the night sky.

'What does sleeping under such a star lit heaven tell you Tonto? asked the Lone Ranger.

Tonto replied,

'it tells me someone nicked our tent Boss'.

There is also the following (un-confirmed) exchange of dialogue between the two, occasioned by an overwhelming attack by native Americans possessed of superior fire-power:

The Lone Ranger: Looks like we're in trouble Tonto

Tonto: What you mean we, Paleface?

Edited by homer2911

Seeing as Phylis appears to have lots of spare time to talk about insurers at present I thought I'd bump this thread so that she could fulfill her promise to enlighten us all on the correct method of operating bridges.

Tony

I hope it is soon as I will be on the Llangollen next week and think they have the odd bridge or three..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
4 hours ago, Dave_P said:

So we never actually got to find out about the dangers of doing lift bridges the "Mayall Way"?

I believe that Rachel is still collating the documents. She’ll post it here shortly. 

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, WotEver said:

I believe that Rachel is still collating the documents. She’ll post it here shortly. 

25 pages full of promise, but as a newbie, I did learn how to avoid oncoming boats on the Ashby. Shame I don't yet know how to do lift bridges.?

1. Moor up just before lift bridge.

2. Walk across the bridge to the offside and open it.

3. Swear loudly because you forgot to carry the inflatable dinghy from the boat.

4. Swim back to the boat.

5. Take the boat through the bridge and moor it up again.

6. Row the dinghy back to the offside and close the bridge.

7. Walk back to the boat (don't forget the dinghy or you'll be swimming again at the next one) and be on your way.

Works for me.

Or it will if I remember to bring the dinghy to the boat next time. Assuming I've remembered to buy one.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

1. Moor up just before lift bridge.

2. Walk across the bridge to the offside and open it.

3. Swear loudly because you forgot to carry the inflatable dinghy from the boat.

4. Swim back to the boat.

5. Take the boat through the bridge and moor it up again.

6. Row the dinghy back to the offside and close the bridge.

7. Walk back to the boat (don't forget the dinghy or you'll be swimming again at the next one) and be on your way.

Works for me.

Or it will if I remember to bring the dinghy to the boat next time. Assuming I've remembered to buy one.

Here is my idea of how to do it...

1) Alight from boat on landing stage with centre line in one hand, cabin shaft in the other. Do not moor up.

2) Cross bridge holding centre line and open bridge.

3) Pull boat through bridge with centre line.

4) Close bridge

5) Use cabin shaft from bridge to pick up a line from the boat and pull boat back to towpath-side.

6) Alight and continue to next lift bridge. 

In my experience however, it is rarely necessary to do all this. Someone ALWAYS turns up and helps!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

1) Alight from boat on landing stage with centre line in one hand, cabin shaft in the other. Do not moor up.

4) Close bridge

5) Use cabin shaft from bridge to pick up a line from the boat and pull boat back to towpath-side.

In my experience however, it is rarely necessary to do all this. Someone ALWAYS turns up and helps!

That sounds like a reasonable alternative to my (admittedly so far untested) method. I'd be a bit worried about my ability to achieve step 5 of your proposed alternative method though.

I'm not sure I'd be too confident of someone ALWAYS turning up to help if I was going through just after sunset though, so it's good to have a plan B and a plan C.

41 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm not sure I'd be too confident of someone ALWAYS turning up to help if I was going through just after sunset though, so it's good to have a plan B and a plan C.

Curiously, having prepared this method in my head years ago, I have NEVER had the chance to try it out to the bitter end. As I say, someone ALWAYS turns up to interfere lol!

43 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

That sounds like a reasonable alternative to my (admittedly so far untested) method. I'd be a bit worried about my ability to achieve step 5 of your proposed alternative method though.

Maybe I got that bit a little wrong. After pulling the boat through, tie the boat to the bridge again rather than just dropping the line. The line will be underneath the bridge so you'll need to use the cabin shaft to pick up a different line to pull the boat bankside before untying the first line from the bridge and dropping it.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

4) Close bridge

I don't understand what the cabin shaft is needed for?  Aren't you still holding a line?

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curiously, having prepared this method in my head years ago, I have NEVER had the chance to try it out to the bitter end. As I say, someone ALWAYS turns up to interfere lol!

I frequently have to single hand through lift bridges.  Can you send some of these helpers my way?

2 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I don't understand what the cabin shaft is needed for?  Aren't you still holding a line?

Well yes, but it now passes underneath the bridge. So you can't use it to pull the boat to the bank. 

Use the cabin shaft to either pick up another line from the boat whilst standing on the bridge, or to catch the line you are holding and pull it through to the other side of the bridge where the boat now is.