Puffer Parts

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

We've just come back from a few snatched days on the boat, on our way up to Skipton where it's moored we rang Midland Swi...Chandlers to see if they had a 24v Jabsco pump in stock, 'no sorry we will have to order one'. Got to Skipton and rang Puffer Parts to be told she was sure they had one but to hang on while she double checked, back she came to say yes they had. They usually sell about 60 12v models to 5 24v ones each year and order that ratio each time, why can't MC do that? Seems easy enough to me, if a small outfit like PP can do it then MC have no excuse. PP really are the business, no bullshit, just a bit of banter and back chat, the main reason they are so good is the fact they are boaters and know what's needed + they always try to do better next time round, full marks.

No connection to them btw.

Having used both I agree with the sentiment but you are talking about two entirely different businesses.

Going to MC is an exercise in clever marketing where everything is on display in the hope that in looking for the widget you need you will be seduced by many things you don't need or pick up things "just in case". Go into Puffers and you have to ask for whatever it is you want and it is very unlikely you'll depart with anything else.

The other thing about MC is having spent about £300 I asked about a discount for cash "not for an amount that small" I was told. Maybe not such clever marketing after all.

I have had excellent service from Puffer Parts. I have found them to be very knowledgeable and obliging.

That said, I have had excellent service from Midlands too.

I do not know Puffer Parts at all, but I get the feeling that keeping stock (and therefor money!) on the shelf in the form of slow moving stock is not usually good business. Although I concede that they got the business as a result.

Chris

I had a problem a few years ago with a Splitting Diode failing whist half way along the K&A. I phoned Puffer Parts about 4.30pm in the afternoon. and despite the fact that the Post Office Collection had already been, they packed a replacement one and took it to their local Post Office and sent it to my home by first class post. It arrived the next morning and my wife brought it to the boat that afternoon. and I was on my way the next day. Now that was excellent service.

The other thing about MC is having spent about £300 I asked about a discount for cash <snip>

Now to drag this off topic in classic canalworld style, people doing this really wind me up. You asked for a discount in return for paying for the goods you were purchasing. Why, exactly?

I've never understood this line of thinking. Why should 'cash' be any more useful or valuable to Midland Chandlers than a cheque, or a credit or debit card payment? Businesses have to PAY to bank cash yerknow, just like cheques and card transactions. And what if your folding stuff turns out to be hookey? They've lost out big time then haven't they. I reckon there is a strong case for charging extra for accepting payment in cash!

I get this all the time as a tradesman. People asking for money off in return for paying cash with no receipt. The implication is that they think that I'm willing to pocket the cash and not declare the income to HMRC or account for the VAT, and share the extra profit with them in the from of a discount. Pretty insulting really. Is this what you wanted the bloke behind the counter in MC to do? What's in it for him, or me, to make it worth risking a criminal record if caught?

Rant over.

Mike

A feature of Puffer parts a few years ago was possibly the worst on-line web-site ever put before the public at large.

It was virtually impossible to view anything on it, and completely impossible to buy through it!.

PP themselves admitted it was a heap of crap, at least, and were very helpful with a phone order instead, but why put your name to a web-site that is too awful for words!

If they have since sorted out that fiasco, they will have done both themselves and their customers a great favour. It must have been losing them loads of potential business, because if you could actually order anything, their prices were quite keen.

Bought plenty of stuff there, they are always keenly priced, and as its my backyard I just hop off the boat get my stuff and on my way - we're a bit spoiled having them here in the Bradford-Skipton bit of the L&LC. Long may they continue.

I find Midland Chandlers just fine - and I get a decent discount, not for cash but with my Mercia Marina discount card.

But the most helpful award for me this year goes to Millar Marine at Shardlow.

Don't get me wrong I have always had good service from MC but in this instance PP came up with the goods and MC didn't. Maybe PP are not up to speed with the modern internet, perhaps they can't afford the services of a good web designer due to keeping profits to a minimum and passing that on to their customers? It's a pleasure to do business with someone who has their heart in the business and try their very best to keep customers happy. Good old fashioned retailer that tries to give value for money. I always walk out of there with a smile on my face and that says it all IMO.

Don't get me wrong I have always had good service from MC but in this instance PP came up with the goods and MC didn't. Maybe PP are not up to speed with the modern internet, perhaps they can't afford the services of a good web designer due to keeping profits to a minimum and passing that on to their customers? It's a pleasure to do business with someone who has their heart in the business and try their very best to keep customers happy. Good old fashioned retailer that tries to give value for money. I always walk out of there with a smile on my face and that says it all IMO.

Ive used both places and Puffer for me is best, he cant help his accent !!!! Cheaper than swindlers and very quick delivery on most things

Now to drag this off topic in classic canalworld style, people doing this really wind me up. You asked for a discount in return for paying for the goods you were purchasing. Why, exactly?

I've never understood this line of thinking. Why should 'cash' be any more useful or valuable to Midland Chandlers than a cheque, or a credit or debit card payment? Businesses have to PAY to bank cash yerknow, just like cheques and card transactions. And what if your folding stuff turns out to be hookey? They've lost out big time then haven't they. I reckon there is a strong case for charging extra for accepting payment in cash!

I get this all the time as a tradesman. People asking for money off in return for paying cash with no receipt. The implication is that they think that I'm willing to pocket the cash and not declare the income to HMRC or account for the VAT, and share the extra profit with them in the from of a discount. Pretty insulting really. Is this what you wanted the bloke behind the counter in MC to do? What's in it for him, or me, to make it worth risking a criminal record if caught?

Rant over.

Mike

Gosh, struck a nerve there didn't I?

Actually Mike I have some sympathy with your viewpoint. I'm a sole trader myself and used to the "how much for cash" approach but it's more often than not a self employed customer who tries it! Believe it or not, and this is not just because someone on the forum might be with HMRC, I declare every single cash transaction I receive and everything is receipted. I know avoidance of tax is the sole motivation for many but there's more to it than that. If someone pays me in cash I get the money right here right now. I don't have to wait for the cheque to clear, I don't have to waste time/money taking it to the bank, I don't have to pay ridiculous bank charges, I can use it instantly, and I can use it in similar fashion to negotiate a discount when purchasing. Tell me, if a customer asks you whether you prefer to be paid in cash or cheque what do you say? I've never met a self employed person who didn't prefer cash, so a cash transaction has to have some value.

Having said this, asking for a discount on a £25 transaction is a bit much, and yes, that does annoy me a little (Actually I do remember haggling over the price of a pint once so maybe I get what I deserve..)

But I would give a discount for a £300 deal. If you wouldn't we have to agree to differ.

Now obviously a biggish concern like Midland Chandlers is not in the same position as a one man band but I thought at least they would let me have the fiver which a credit card transaction would cost them.

We also run a retail business and I think it's fair enough if someone is buying a lot of stuff and paying with folding to ask for a bit off the total - it also makes people feel good if they think they have struck a deal, and that is what selling is all about.

Another thing is you have an opportunity to demonstrate to a customer that they are dealing with a human being rather than an automaton and that also counts for something these days.

For the cost of a fiver Midland Chandlers lost the opportunity of making me leave the shop feeling I had gained something. A fiver isn't a lot but I could have bought a pint (maybe two...) or a magazine, or something I otherwise wouldn't have bought.

Not convinced? Why not try your own suggestion and start charging customers extra for cash payments...

• Greenie 1

The aim of a seller should be to persuade someone to part with their hard earned money, better if a bit of haggling takes place, that way the seller gets a profit and the buyer gets a discount, everyone's happy, it's all a game but the seller needs the buyer to leave with a smile and therefore come back for more when he checks around later.

Bought plenty of stuff there, they are always keenly priced, and as its my backyard I just hop off the boat get my stuff and on my way - we're a bit spoiled having them here in the Bradford-Skipton bit of the L&LC. Long may they continue.

We also used them lots when we were in W Yorkshire (& here in Scotland till we got our pet chandlery Sidehatch on the mooring) but as for the long may they continue.. the business is up for sale as they've had enough & want out. Anyone with a few grand to spare want an established canalside business??

Richard

A feature of Puffer parts a few years ago was possibly the worst on-line web-site ever put before the public at large.

It was virtually impossible to view anything on it, and completely impossible to buy through it!.

PP themselves admitted it was a heap of crap, at least, and were very helpful with a phone order instead, but why put your name to a web-site that is too awful for words!

If they have since sorted out that fiasco, they will have done both themselves and their customers a great favour. It must have been losing them loads of potential business, because if you could actually order anything, their prices were quite keen.

Obviously Dougie was not there, otherwise he would have told them!

Rant over.

Same as buying something a car for instance on hp the dealers don't want your cash. They want you to sign up for HP because they get quite a substantial commission from the HP company, extra profit on top of the retail price profit.

bizzard.

Mike

Gosh, struck a nerve there didn't I?

Yep!

Tell me, if a customer asks you whether you prefer to be paid in cash or cheque what do you say?

It never gets that far. I make it clear on the phone before I visit a customer that I only accept payment by credit card or debit card. Any arguments about it on the phone and I simply don't go.

I've never met a self employed person who didn't prefer cash, so a cash transaction has to have some value.

Not to me it doesn't. Cash is a pain in the butt! :)

The simplicity of having approaching a thousand payments a year automatically checked and cleared by my card machine on the spot then automatically paid into the bank a few days later, allows me to operate my boiler repair business based on the concept of visiting a house once, and walking away having completed the repair, completed the paperwork and obtained cleared payment with nothing more to do relating to that customer. No re-visits to the house as I carry a full stock of spares for the boilers I fix, and no visit afterwards to the bank to pay in their cheque or cash. My goal on every call is to fix their boiler ina single visit and to be free to forget them as soon as I walk out of their door. I aim to have completed their repair and obtained cleared payment so I can mentally move on and concentrate on the next customer and I achieve this on approximately 95% of my repair visits. I love the efficiency of my methods and my customers seem to as well :)

I maintain a high lead flow in order to operate this style of business and it makes me enough money to pay for my boating hobby. As you can see a fundamental plank of my business model is insisting on payment by card only. I'll accept cash if push comes to shove but I'll not be happy about it having obtained customer's agreement to pay by card on the phone before going. Cheque payment attracts a £50+VAT admin fee to cover the aggravation ands risk now the cheque guarantee scheme has been closed.

I have the feeling Midland Chandlers are equally clear-thinking about their business strategy.

Mike

(Edited to remove an exaggeration.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

• 1 month later...

We've just come back from a few snatched days on the boat, on our way up to Skipton where it's moored we rang Midland Swi...Chandlers to see if they had a 24v Jabsco pump in stock, 'no sorry we will have to order one'. Got to Skipton and rang Puffer Parts to be told she was sure they had one but to hang on while she double checked, back she came to say yes they had. They usually sell about 60 12v models to 5 24v ones each year and order that ratio each time, why can't MC do that? Seems easy enough to me, if a small outfit like PP can do it then MC have no excuse. PP really are the business, no bullshit, just a bit of banter and back chat, the main reason they are so good is the fact they are boaters and know what's needed + they always try to do better next time round, full marks.

No connection to them btw.

Thanks for the kind words as always we will help where we can

and we have been in Business 20 years today!

• 3 years later...

Puffer Parts Yorkshire warehouse will close on 29th August and Elaine and I will retire at long last the business will continue under new ownership from another location to be announced meanwhile we are open till Friday with an awful lot of bargains to clear.

Sincere Thanks to all our customers over the last 23 and a wee bit years clapping.gif

We might mange to use our boat now judge.gif

Iain And Elaine Sutherland

Puffer Parts Yorkshire warehouse will close on 29th August and Elaine and I will retire at long last the business will continue under new ownership from another location to be announced meanwhile we are open till Friday with an awful lot of bargains to clear.

Sincere Thanks to all our customers over the last 23 and a wee bit years clapping.gif

We might mange to use our boat now judge.gif

Iain And Elaine Sutherland

All the best for the future from an occasional customer and a happy one. It's good to hear that the business will continue.