doors in hot weather

peasant

Featured Posts

I apologise if i've missed this as a topic,but I've never heard boaters talking about the fact that internal door fittings tend to miss-align as the boat warps in hot weather.It must come as a shock to those new to boating when it happens.I know they return to normality as the boat cools down.On my bathroom door,the only door where it happens,Ive had to put a hook and eye to keep the door shut.

I have 2 internal doors on my boat which are both bi-fold types. They hang on a rail and I've never know them to warp or mis-align during hot weather. This one is the corridor/bedroom door.

DSC00488.jpg

It must just be a problem with conventional doors in boats or does it happen with sliding doors too?

Edited by blackrose

I apologise if i've missed this as a topic,but I've never heard boaters talking about the fact that internal door fittings tend to miss-align as the boat warps in hot weather.It must come as a shock to those new to boating when it happens.I know they return to normality as the boat cools down.On my bathroom door,the only door where it happens,Ive had to put a hook and eye to keep the door shut.

I suspect it is most likely to be your timber door and frame that are moving/warping due to a change in moisture content and temperature. Unless your steel shell was built by Railtrack ........... :cheers:

I suspect it is most likely to be your timber door and frame that are moving/warping due to a change in moisture content and temperature. Unless your steel shell was built by Railtrack ........... :cheers:

The door from my engine room to bathroom regularly needs a good shove/punch when a hot day is following a cool night.......one of these days I will take the top 1/16" off the door and solve the problem.

Our boat often creaks and groans like an old pirate ship on a morning as the sun rises on a warm spring/summer morning and warms the shell, don't know how much more than 60 ft it becomes in the process... B)

Don't have a problem with ill fitting doors as a result though.

I have 2 internal doors on my boat which are both bi-fold types. They hang on a rail and I've never know them to warp or mis-align during hot weather. This one is the corridor/bedroom door.

DSC00488.jpg

It must just be a problem with conventional doors in boats or does it happen with sliding doors too?

Nice looking fit out...

Our home mooring is in direct sunshine all day. We often get awoken during the summer by the roof hatch banging and creaking as it expands. Never had a problem with doors not fitting though.

As an aside our canopies are much easier to refit in warm weather as the plastic "windows" are more supple and stretch easier.

I have had to fit some of our doors with a summer hinge position and a winter hinge position, so they close properly. I am sure it isn't anything to do with the wood or the humidity; a couple of hours of hot sunshine on the (black) side of the boat, during which time there is much creaking and groaning from the woodwork, is enough to ensure that at least a couple of the doors won't fit. A couple of hours later everything will be fine again.

Our home mooring is in direct sunshine all day. We often get awoken during the summer by the roof hatch banging and creaking as it expands. Never had a problem with doors not fitting though.

As an aside our canopies are much easier to refit in warm weather as the plastic "windows" are more supple and stretch easier.

On hot days, something in our steel shell 'BONG'S' with such a bang that it makes you jump. You can never see any problems though.

Alex

On hot days, something in our steel shell 'BONG'S' with such a bang that it makes you jump. You can never see any problems though.

Alex

Same with ours, I used to think it was boats banging together until one day it happened when my head was resting against the wall, usually late afternoon.

I think the problem of doors sticking is trying to fit them as you would in a house with a small clearance all round, I hung ours so that they closed against the wall rather than in the wall keeping a large overlap to maintain privacy.

Same with ours, I used to think it was boats banging together until one day it happened when my head was resting against the wall, usually late afternoon.

I think the problem of doors sticking is trying to fit them as you would in a house with a small clearance all round, I hung ours so that they closed against the wall rather than in the wall keeping a large overlap to maintain privacy.

A boat can easily expand by a tenth of an inch during the day at roof level and the bottom plate wont because its kept cool by the water.

Alex

Same on mine. When I first moved onboard in the hot summer of 2005 I woke up and thought someone was throwing stones at my boat. The noises aren't as bad now as they were then, so I guess whatever has shifted has done its worst. I've never seen the result of any movement from the inside.

Edited by blackrose

Weird that this topic just came up as I'd hardly consider myself new to boating but found myself puzzled about my external wooden door being misaligned on Saturday morning. Over the years I'm very clear on heavy rain soaking in and warping the wood but have never had a problem with the heat. After a few moments of puzzlement I decided it must be something to do with humidity.