The River Thames.

nb celestine

Featured Posts

Hi.

Over the past few weeks the girlfriend and I have been travelling from Devizes, on the K and A, heading towards North Yorkshire.

Coming down the Thames from Reading on a 3 day licence you pass some really fantastic houses in the multi-millions, some of them, especially around Henley, Windsor, and such places.

Now, my gripe is, trying to find a mooring for a narrowboat was terrible. The first night, after travelling about 9 or 10 hrs we had to tie up to a couple of trees because we couldn't find any moorings.

Once, when we wanted to stop for a drink we ran aground before we could get within 20ft of the visitor moorings.

It seems to me that the people with the posh houses and acres of land are saying," look what we've got. Have a good look Paul then you and your missus can move along out of our sight"

Even right round Windsor Great Park where there was miles of lovely space to moor up, not only would I be trespassing but also in breach of some anti-terrorism law. It makes me sick.

Not that I'm bitter or twisted or anything, you undestand.

Um, sorry you had your trip spoiled but I've done that run three times, always found moorings - OK it was October each time - and enjoyed an evening in an hostelry every night. That anti-terrorism thing - I take it you know who lives at Windsor from time to time?

Too late now, and it won't help with the damaged woodwork, but if you read the No Problem blog back to May something you will see that they have spent some time travelling up the Thames, and I don't recall them struggling unduly for moorings. They travel at a slower pace, but even so, any good point they find is a possible for you. Unless I've read it wrong, and the good points are only there if you stop by midday!!

HTH

Edited by Davidss

I've travelled the Thames from Oxford to Lechlade and then back to Brentford in August and had no trouble finding moorings. At one we needed to use the plank. My major gripe was that it rained incessantly.

The Thames is a bit different from the canals. Above Staines bridge Riperian rights mean that landowners adjacent to the river own the bank and that's also the case on the Thames path side. This has resulted in some people fencing off the bank on the river side of the Thames path in a kind of land grab.

Anyway, the best advice is to find a mooring early in the afternoon. Don't expect to travel until late in the evening and then find somewhere as it can mean messing around in the dark.

Edited by blackrose

I've just come off the Thames (and the Wey) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I moored on the Regatta course at Henley (£3), right outside Hampton Court (free), and at Kingston (lots of room, free). There was also lots of room at Weybridge and Staines. I have a short boat, but I didn't see anyone have any problems even with full length narrowboats. Was it a fine weekend? Apparently it gets rather busy then.

Hi.

Over the past few weeks the girlfriend and I have been travelling from Devizes, on the K and A, heading towards North Yorkshire.

Coming down the Thames from Reading on a 3 day licence you pass some really fantastic houses in the multi-millions, some of them, especially around Henley, Windsor, and such places.

Now, my gripe is, trying to find a mooring for a narrowboat was terrible. The first night, after travelling about 9 or 10 hrs we had to tie up to a couple of trees because we couldn't find any moorings.

Once, when we wanted to stop for a drink we ran aground before we could get within 20ft of the visitor moorings.

It seems to me that the people with the posh houses and acres of land are saying," look what we've got. Have a good look Paul then you and your missus can move along out of our sight"

Even right round Windsor Great Park where there was miles of lovely space to moor up, not only would I be trespassing but also in breach of some anti-terrorism law. It makes me sick.

Hi

I hope you are going up the trent and into Yorkshire on the boat and down the Ouse and to York ? You will find a massive difference to the Thames. Firstly everyone on the yorkshire waterways will smile and wave wether you are in a tin tub or a Gin palace and the river up to York is beautiful and York itself as everyone knows is vastly nicer than that big slum situated on the banks of the Thames.

The moorings are often free and there are some superb places to visit and pubs and restaurants with top nosh you will actualy be able to afford. I like the Thames very much but its way down the list of the best uk waterways :D

The Thames has never really "adapted" to narrowboats, or perhaps it's the other way around :captain:

Unlike the canal system, the edges are soft; no long lengths of Armco or shuttering.

Such official moorings are in very short supply and usually full of Thames based boaters who resent the length of an NB taking up so much space.

Given that there are loads of places where you can moor - just as long as you are adaptable and perhaps don't mind mooring to a tree (there are an awful lot of trees conveniently spaced at 60' or 70' spacing if you look carefully.

Doing a bit of research prior to coming on can reap big rewards.

If you fancy lots of pubs with mooring outside - or even near, then forget it. Be creative and you'll find it a different experience.

I don't know why I'm encouraging you. It's MY River and I prefer to keep it to myself.... (ha ha)

Hi.

hi

it is a shame you found yourselves unable to enjoy my favourite river.

the windsor great park is actually some distance from the river,the section you referred to is ,in fact, the queen's back garden.

maybe if you had spent a longer period on the river,you would have appreciated it's finer points.

i think around 40% of thames lock traffic is canal traffic and most lock keepers regard canal boats as the most friendly river users group.

my 70 foot narrow boat is thames licenced,and it is on the river around 90% of the time.

as i mentioned in an earlier thread ,a lot of

"tuppy cruiser"owners secretly yearn for a n.b.

do visit the river again,it is certainly different to the K.AND A.but is is definitely a waterway worth knowing!

hi

the windsor great park is actually some distance from the river,the section you referred to is ,in fact, the queen's back garden.

maybe if you had spent a longer period on the river,you would have appreciated it's finer points.

i think around 40% of thames lock traffic is canal traffic and most lock keepers regard canal boats as the most friendly river users group.

my 70 foot narrow boat is thames licenced,and it is on the river around 90% of the time.

do visit the river again,it is certainly different to the K.AND A.but is is definitely a waterway worth knowing!

Agreed. I think the Thames is fantastic which is why I found a mooring here.

We are tupperware owners but did the Thames including the Tidal from Limehouse on the way back in Dads NB (Sewer Tube) as our boat was out of the water.

Yes - Its unusual even for us to pay for moorings , but not really a problem. The Thames was a fantastic trip which we will repeat in the cruiser. Its probably a shock to Canal based cruisers but compared to the Trent, moorings are plentiful, even when we cruised the Thames last yr (Just prior to the IWA festival @ beale park) we found a mooring there - Ahh - It was the famous 'Wasp' mooring :rolleyes: It had been raining & the wasps were dormant - as soon as the sun came out in the evening we moved , easy to turn & found a mooring a little upstream.

Paying for a mooring may be odd to ditch dwellers , but we enjoyed every minute & would do it every week if we could !ha

Certainly easier to moor on the non tidal Thames than around Braunston !

We are tupperware owners but did the Thames including the Tidal from Limehouse on the way back in Dads NB (Sewer Tube) as our boat was out of the water.

Yes - Its unusual even for us to pay for moorings , but not really a problem. The Thames was a fantastic trip which we will repeat in the cruiser. Its probably a shock to Canal based cruisers but compared to the Trent, moorings are plentiful, even when we cruised the Thames last yr (Just prior to the IWA festival @ beale park) we found a mooring there - Ahh - It was the famous 'Wasp' mooring :rolleyes: It had been raining & the wasps were dormant - as soon as the sun came out in the evening we moved , easy to turn & found a mooring a little upstream.

Paying for a mooring may be odd to ditch dwellers , but we enjoyed every minute & would do it every week if we could !ha

Certainly easier to moor on the non tidal Thames than around Braunston !

i think we should establish an elementary fact "tupperware" is most certainly not inferior to welded,(with love and devotion" narrowboats,

i once owned an "express cruiser"and,i feel no shame whatsoever!

despite having endured a considerable period of time ridding myself of the aroma that only polyester resin can bestow,i retain many friends(and some aquaintances)with the aforementioned "yoghourt pots",

after all, we all enjoy our boating,yes?

Whats he on about.We love the thames,been all the way up to lechlade from Brentford twice now.Never ever had a problem finding a mooring.We have always managed to find nice spots.I'm always a bit miffed about paying to moor though.But thats just what you have to do.they are usually nice spots too.The guy who collects the mooring fees is as sharp as a knife.you only have to pull up for a lunch stop,and he's on you.

Go on give it one more go :captain:

Hi

I hope you are going up the trent and into Yorkshire on the boat and down the Ouse and to York ? You will find a massive difference to the Thames. Firstly everyone on the yorkshire waterways will smile and wave wether you are in a tin tub or a Gin palace and the river up to York is beautiful and York itself as everyone knows is vastly nicer than that big slum situated on the banks of the Thames.

The moorings are often free and there are some superb places to visit and pubs and restaurants with top nosh you will actualy be able to afford. I like the Thames very much but its way down the list of the best uk waterways :D

Shhh :angry:

hi

Nonsense

I loved being on the Thames, did the OP have a suitable guide? Having the right maps/info makes the whole thing far less stressful because you know where the public moorings and pubs are in advance.

Even though I was only a hirer, I felt smugly superior to all the tupperware in "my" 70ft steel boat. All the yoghurt pots kept their fenders down all day and looked like a parade of carnival floats!

(but they were very friendly in locks and on moorings so I didn't make any comments :) )

Edited by Morat

I loved being on the Thames, did the OP have a suitable guide? Having the right maps/info makes the whole thing far less stressful because you know where the public moorings and pubs are in advance.

Even though I was only a hirer, I felt smugly superior to all the tupperware in "my" 70ft steel boat. All the yoghurt pots kept their fenders down all day and looked like a parade of carnival floats!

(but they were very friendly in locks and on moorings so I didn't make any comments :) )

Odds were they were feeling smuggly superior to you though :lol: