Wet rooms

Jazz

Featured Posts

Anyone replaced a bathroom with a wet room? Apart from saving space any other benefits / disadvantages? If this topic has been posted before could someone post a link? Thanks :)

No exprience of them on a boat, only in a friends rented house, where they had a trendy slate wetroom. The entire room gets soaked and full of steam when you take a shower and then takes most of the day to dry out, even if you go round with a towel trying to dry it all off. Go to the loo mid morning and your shoes would be wet, you end up walking damp all through the house. They had to put a towel on the floor outside the door.

They moved in the end - got sick of the mess!

I'd think that a boat was damp enough without adding one - I don't think it would even dry out. Boat bathrooms are excellent places for mould cultures at the best of times without encouraging it further.

Having said that, the new Pirate Club widebeam (just being finished now), has a wetroom onboard, it is a disabled access boat ad this was the easiest way of ensuring that a wheelchair user could shower onboard.

Edited by Lady Muck

I'm interested in this too. We're currently having our bathroom at home converted via a disabilities facilities grant for our son. Had been thinking about it for the boat too - so watching carefully for all ideas :)

Hi,

I had a 'wet room' shower on a previous boat and it was brilliant, quarry type tiles bedded on to concrete, laid over a layer of bitumeum. the room used to dry out quickly, but I would like to expend on this and run pipes through the concrete. These could then be connected to the engine water cooling circuit.

When the water has heated the calorifier it could then be diverted through the flooring pipework to heat and dry the 'wet room', before discharging into the keel cooler.

Leo.

Circe - Are you on Facebook? If you 'like' this page - you can see pictures of the new boat incl. wetroom.

The Pirate Castle

Thanks for the link :) Looking now!

Edited to add - ooooh, that does look very swish! I like the flooring idea for the shower in particular. That looks like it would keep feet dry and drain really easily.

Edited by Circe

Thanks for the link :) Looking now!

Edited to add - ooooh, that does look very swish! I like the flooring idea for the shower in particular. That looks like it would keep feet dry and drain really easily.

The boat is by Colecraft BTW...

Hi,

I had a 'wet room' shower on a previous boat and it was brilliant, quarry type tiles bedded on to concrete, laid over a layer of bitumeum.

How were the walls fashioned?

Tony

Circe - Are you on Facebook? If you 'like' this page - you can see pictures of the new boat incl. wetroom.

The Pirate Castle

M'Lady - is that actually a wet room, or is it just the large stainless-floored shower area? The veneered walls don't look like they'd want to be getting wet too often.

Tony

The reason I'm asking is I want to replace existing shower cubicle - makes me claustraphobic! People on here don't seem to recommend baths generally so wondering about other options - I have a walk through bathroom so not too limited for space. Would you get a normal shower cubicle from say B&Q?

I have a wet room on board. It consists of a stainless steel tray laid in the bilge with a wooden slatted floor over. We dont spend loads of time in the shower on the boat, wet over, soap over and wash off. It works OK for us. The walls are a mixture of T & G cedar and laminated wall board. Toilet seat sometimes gets a few splashes on it but easily wiped. It saves a lot of space. We are also lucky that the shower room has a roof hatch and a window. Everything soon dries.

I have been in some shower cubicles on boats and not been able to move. They were so bad I just hated using them.

Tony

M'Lady - is that actually a wet room, or is it just the large stainless-floored shower area? The veneered walls don't look like they'd want to be getting wet too often.

Tony

I'd say it's kind of half and half, it's not much of a shower tray though is it? Could be a good compromise, I reckon and avoid the entire cabin getting drenched.

Edited by Lady Muck

Tony

Hi,

Row of quarry tiles around the bottom of the walls and tiling above, Boat built about 1982 and system still going strong with no cracks or leaks AFAIA.Water drains to one corner and sucked out by pump.

Conventional shower tray in current boat and not such a good system in my opinion.

I like 'wet rooms' in houses - they are best suited to soft water areas or systems using a water softener.

Leo.

...People on here don't seem to recommend baths generally...

You'd have to prize my bath out of my cold, dead hands! ;)

I fitted 4' ones on both the boats, and wouldn't be without them! :)

PC

I'd say it's kind of half and half, it's not much of a shower tray though is it? Could be a good compromise, I reckon and avoid the entire cabin getting drenched.

Untill the water fills the tray up faster than the pump sucks it out :o its more like a large shower, a wet room has no curtain or tray its just a drain in the floor which has tiles instead of a tray.

I should point out that we're onto our 6th kitchen ceiling in 4 years. Flooding the bathroom at home is a bit of an issue - hence the interest in boat options :unsure:

Home will be a fully wetroomed floor - shower area in one corner - but I rather like Lady Muck's linked pics as a boaty option. I was seriously considering something along the lines of Wedgwood's Jasper Owl's bathroom - the whole floor of the bathroom in there is a shower tray and (very sadly) I got very excited about that!

Edited by Circe

Anyone replaced a bathroom with a wet room? Apart from saving space any other benefits / disadvantages? If this topic has been posted before could someone post a link? Thanks :)

I'm also looking at this option, I think the key is too have plenty of ventilation to remove the humid air. I'm using fans to help...

Hi there

We've got a wet room on our boat,and was put in by my Soninlaw

First of all for the wall covering we used a floor vinyl covering this wa glued onto Walls with evo stick

Where the Walls met the ceiling a PVC moulding was used to finish of and seal

We also have a hatch in the roof, and a solar vent fitted

I was also worried about water leaking into boat but this is not the case

My Soninlaw fits wet rooms into disabled folks homes

And he fitted a kit which you can buy from most trade places

First of all a specific profile seal is attached to the wall about 2/3 inches from the floor

Then a non slip vinyl was glued directly on th the wooden floorboards and also went up the wall slotting into the PVC profile any corner cuts are chemically welded

The drain is then placed in a hole previusly cut out for it and the drain piped attached to a pump,the drain is clever because this will never leak outside of the drain hole

We also fitted a curtain rail to the ceiling so a single curtain can stop stray water from the shower going onto mirrors etc

I also have hand rails for support if needed

The great thing about this is it's so easy to clean!! Also me being a big fella at 6ft 3 and 18 stone so easy !' and if I'm lucky my misis can join me. Lol, hopefully with out the bloody hounds

And yes I can not for the life of me spell venal,my iPad don't help as no spell checker

Col

Their are pics of it on my blog

Edited by bigcol

The reason I'm asking is I want to replace existing shower cubicle - makes me claustraphobic! People on here don't seem to recommend baths generally so wondering about other options - I have a walk through bathroom so not too limited for space. Would you get a normal shower cubicle from say B&Q?

Why not think about installing a quadrant shaped glass shower cubicle in the corner? Or a square shaped one in the centre of the bathroom? Less claustraphobic than a nasty shower curtain and no "psycho" moments because you'll see them coming. :lol:

P1000295.jpg

The advantage of a manufactured product is that as long as you install it properly it should be leak-free - something that's more difficult to ensure with a self-made wet room. The places that showers usually leak from is the tiling and where the walls meet around the ceramic base. The tiles on my bathroom walls are real but inside the shower it's fake plastic tile sheet from B&Q.

The difficulty that some people have installing a glass shower on a boat is the height, so you have to choose carefully.

Edited by blackrose

>>>The drain is then placed in a hole previusly cut out for it and the drain piped attached to a pump. The drain is clever because this will never leak outside of the drain hole<<<

How do you get at the shower pump to clean the cr*p out of it? It there an access hatch in the floor?