What trips have you made this year?

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

The weather has been fantastic this spring, my little boat has been out and about localy over the last few weeks. I did a couple of days with friends last week down the Aylesbury Arm and hope for a couple of days out this week as well. I watched two boats from my marina go up the Thames today leaving Limehouse this morning. I was very envious watching them pass under Waterloo Bridge.

So where has anyone else been recently?

Edited by Water Rat.

Through London and back several times, down to Limehouse, up the Lee and Stort Navigations to the top, back through London and now at Rickmansworth for some reason........ :cheers:

I should be coming through Rickmansworth in the next few days leaving Winkwell this morning.

We have done quite a lot of local trips so far this year and Lincoln to Nottingham.

In a couple of weeks we are off to Wells nest the Sea, cant wait for this trip. We really enjoyed it last year so im sure we will again this year.

Then three weeks after that is our big cruise for 2011. We are taking NC to the Norfolk Broads and Southwold. :)

K same as matty - through london - down to Limehouse, upto hertford, downa nd then up to bishops stortford.. and back to the cavalcade in london....

now back on the gu at black jacks,,,

11 days out and 10 minutes rain... best tan in several years - great conditions

Only short local trips so far this year :(

Complications and other comitments meant that I couldn't take real advantage of the two long B/H's that we've had this year.

Still..... The BCN Challenge and a two week Thames ring cruise planned for later this year will make up for it.

:cheers:

We are having a better year this year than last, and have already done about 400 miles and 260 locks with Chalice, to include....

Linslade return (Jan)

Stoke Bruerne return(Feb)

Thames ring, to include Lechlade (April)

A new adventure began this weekend with Sickle. Not quite as much of a learning curve as expected, and 9 (narrow) locks and maybe 35 miles achieved without incident. No major groundings - just as well, as there is no long shaft on board!......

EDITED TO ADD some pictures:

DSCF4211.jpg

DSCF4226.jpg

Half term week plans are now completely uncertain, with two boats in two different places!

Edited by alan_fincher

A new adventure began this weekend with Sickle. Not quite as much of a learning curve as expected, and 9 (narrow) locks and maybe 35 miles achieved without incident. No major groundings - just as well, as there is no long shaft on board!......

It looks great! What fun. It would be perfect for transporting a couple of motorbikes about!

Only short local trips so far this year :(

Complications and other comitments meant that I couldn't take real advantage of the two long B/H's that we've had this year.

Still..... The BCN Challenge and a two week Thames ring cruise planned for later this year will make up for it.

:cheers:

I forgot.........

I've also got a chance to sink mrsmelly's boat on a trip around Trent Falls in a couple of weeks time.

.......... Happy days ;)

So far this year:

Willington - Arlewas and back, 2 days

Willington - Loughborough and back, 3 days

Willington (Mercia Marina) to Willington (The Dragon) and back, one evening.

The boat currently has some 12V issues and I'm waiting to sort those out before venturing further afield. Might also take some time out this year to repaint the roof and the stern deck.

I currently seem to have plenty of paid work to do, which will help with boat repairs and alterations from a financial perspective, but also preclude too much boating in the near future. That could all change though!

I can sometimes be found lockwheeling at Stenson or Fradley, without my boat.

Couple of out and backs from Willington to Fradley/Alrewas

Couple of out and backs from Willington to Shardlow/Sawley

One out and back Willington up the Trent to Newark

One out and back Willington up the Erewash to Langley Mill

Odd night where we've just moved the boat outside the marina to have a tow-path BBQ (I don't think they'd appreciate us setting fire to the pontoon!!)

oh and a few nights where we have gone no where and just stayed on the boat using at as accommodation.

stafford to ripon via , thermaston, lincoln,keadby,selby, huddersfield narrow, peak forest, macclesfield, caldon,leek, back to stafford for a rest .

spent some time grounded on the trent just after torksey but managed to get going again when the tide started to make.

anyone got the sissons check your charts as on some issues the red line is showing a different direction on one page compared to the next page, but some good came out of it i managed to black the boat.

i wish i knew how to post photos( perhaps someone may show me in an idiot proof style) i will then show some snaps.

we had some trouble with lack of water on the huddersfield and i fell in trying to push off the bottom.:blush:

next sharpness then back to llangollen with luck.

stafford to ripon via , thermaston, lincoln,keadby,selby, huddersfield narrow, peak forest, macclesfield, caldon,leek, back to stafford for a rest .

spent some time grounded on the trent just after torksey but managed to get going again when the tide started to make.

anyone got the sissons check your charts as on some issues the red line is showing a different direction on one page compared to the next page, but some good came out of it i managed to black the boat.

i wish i knew how to post photos( perhaps someone may show me in an idiot proof style) i will then show some snaps.

we had some trouble with lack of water on the huddersfield and i fell in trying to push off the bottom.:blush:

next sharpness then back to llangollen with luck.

It isnt really recommended to get out of your boat on the Trent!! Not sure what version of the charts you have but ours show the same route on each page. The channel has shifted a little at Fledborough and is closer to the middle than shown, but other than that is as shown on the charts.

Did you have your upstream and downstream the right way round? The charts and diagrams are drawn looking upstream/downstream (as indicated), so for the bridge diagrams drawn as "looking upstream", you are on the downstream side of the bridge.

Sorry if this is all blindingly obvious but you would be surprised how many people misread the charts, simple as they are.

We are having a better year this year than last, and have already done about 400 miles and 260 locks with Chalice, to include....

Linslade return (Jan)

Stoke Bruerne return(Feb)

Thames ring, to include Lechlade (April)

DSCF4211.jpg

DSCF4226.jpg

Half term week plans are now completely uncertain, with two boats in two different places!

That's a nice looking little boat!

Over the Easter break we went from Godalming to Weybridge and up to Sonning.

Then back down to Kingston and back in to Godalming. Fantastic weather.

We are off back to the K&A and Newbury for Whitsun week.

I would really like to do a Ring (Avon, Thames) but need more time off work for that.

Perhaps if we DONT get any Olympic tickets for 2012 (which is quite likely) we will do it then.

Jo.