Fire extinguishers

bottle

Featured Posts

Printed off pages of bsc re- fire extiguishers and no mention is made of powder , co2 foam or whatever that i can see , so is it powder as in the ones i got with the boat.

also after warnig the kids not to leave a campfire burning at any time they used one of mine to put the camp fire out ,so is it easier / cheaper to have one refilled or am i best getting a new one.

what kind of price should i be looking at for purchase of new extinguishers ,boat is 56 ft and has three small size fitted.

thought reading the bsc sheets would explain all but when i read this old thread i am not to sure.

I need to either get new extinguishers or get the current ones serviced.

Anyone know how much it would be to get three serviced, how long it would take and where I'd find someone in the Loughborough area that could do them?

Or is it just easier to get new ones (and then the next question would be - where from and how much would you expect 1 x 1kg 1 x 2kg and 1 x 3 kg to cost)?

S

Or is it just easier to get new ones (and then the next question would be - where from and how much would you expect 1 x 1kg 1 x 2kg and 1 x 3 kg to cost)?

Is there a particular reason why you want the 3 extinguishers in different sizes, please ?

The following will actually meet the BSS requirements for any narrow boat with just 3 x 1KG......

http://www.limekilnchandlers.co.uk/index.p...p;productId=191

with a fire blanket thrown in, although when I bought from them I persuaded them to change one extinguisher to a 2KG (at the same price) to give me a bigger one near the engine room.

Servicing / refilling seems to cost at least a tenner per extinguisher, but if you got lucky, you could save maybe £20 / £25 by going that route.

Is there a particular reason why you want the 3 extinguishers in different sizes, please ?

The following will actually meet the BSS requirements for any narrow boat with just 3 x 1KG......

http://www.limekilnchandlers.co.uk/index.p...p;productId=191

with a fire blanket thrown in, although when I bought from them I persuaded them to change one extinguisher to a 2KG (at the same price) to give me a bigger one near the engine room.

Servicing / refilling seems to cost at least a tenner per extinguisher, but if you got lucky, you could save maybe £20 / £25 by going that route.

Ah my mistake then - I have the three I mentioned and so had just thought that they were what I needed (my first BSC for the boat).

Guess I should go back and read the BSC website again too as I'm sure I'd worked out that they were the right sizes.

Thanks

Sarah

Ah my mistake then - I have the three I mentioned and so had just thought that they were what I needed (my first BSC for the boat).

Guess I should go back and read the BSC website again too as I'm sure I'd worked out that they were the right sizes.

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah,

The important thing (BSS-wise) is actually the rating of the extinguisher, rather than the weight of powder.

Not all 1KG extinguishers are the same, and if you buy 3 in Argos, Wilko or Halfords their combined rating probably wouldn't satisfy the BSS.

But those in the link are "8A 55B", so 3 gives a combined rating of "24A 165B". For boats over 11 metres (36 foot) the BSS only requires 3 extinguishers totalling at least "21A 144B", so that makes the Limekiln ones perfectly OK.

Whether you would actually have much joy fighting an on-board fire with a small dry powder extinguisher seems open to much doubt, though. I think most of the professionals on here employed in that capacity would say slim chance.......

Our Boat Examiner says that the extinguishers are NOT to fight the fire, You might as well throw them at the fire if you want to fight the fire with them. They ARE intended to allow you to quell the fire sufficiently for you to get out of the boat. This is why we had one of the (Three) extinguishers in the middle of the boat, near the galley.

Tony.

Sarah,

The important thing (BSS-wise) is actually the rating of the extinguisher, rather than the weight of powder.

Not all 1KG extinguishers are the same, and if you buy 3 in Argos, Wilko or Halfords their combined rating probably wouldn't satisfy the BSS.

But those in the link are "8A 55B", so 3 gives a combined rating of "24A 165B". For boats over 11 metres (36 foot) the BSS only requires 3 extinguishers totalling at least "21A 144B", so that makes the Limekiln ones perfectly OK.

Whether you would actually have much joy fighting an on-board fire with a small dry powder extinguisher seems open to much doubt, though. I think most of the professionals on here employed in that capacity would say slim chance.......

Ah thanks - I understand now! I now have one more question - what do I do with the old ones??

Ah thanks - I understand now! I now have one more question - what do I do with the old ones??

Use them.

Seriously, we buy extinguishers, and they aren't cheap, so we don't go around practicing with them because of the cost. If you have some that are end of life, light a fire on the ground, and practice using the extinguishers on it.

Regarding death by fire - there was that sad happening where death by fire ocurred alongside the A38 on the Trent and Mersey (above Streethay) a few years back.

I noticed that no one has responded to the question regarding getting your extinguishers refilled/serviced.

We had three powder extinguishers on our boat (see 'Boat taken, stripped and trashed' in general boating if you want to see how well the powder travels) and they were regularly checked and some five years back even re-filled. I encountered a fire on a boat a couple of years back (breakfast!) and one of the (two) extinguishers failed to operate. the needle showed it to be in the green but the reality was that the needle had long become stuck and it was useless!!!

If there is a small fire an extinguisher will save your boat and, because it doesn't get out of hand, your life - if you have properly serviced and functioning extinguishers - don't take the risk guys.

V

ps. If it's a big fire, tell everyone to try to keep up with you as you run away :-)

Edited by vicvdb

Either use them for practice as Mayalid suggests or alternatively the supplier of the new ones should be willing to take your old ones away.

As they're pressurised, getting rid of them isn't always easy.

Our Boat Examiner says that the extinguishers are NOT to fight the fire, You might as well throw them at the fire if you want to fight the fire with them. They ARE intended to allow you to quell the fire sufficiently for you to get out of the boat. This is why we had one of the (Three) extinguishers in the middle of the boat, near the galley.

Tony.

Agree completely. They are all about making a safe escape: when you have escaped, you can decide what to do. Boats can be replaced - family members can't.

Use them.

Seriously, we buy extinguishers, and they aren't cheap, so we don't go around practicing with them because of the cost. If you have some that are end of life, light a fire on the ground, and practice using the extinguishers on it.

Exactly what we do with 'expired' extinguishers. You never know when the 'training' will come in handy, and I don't just mean when boating.

But as for the cost of replacement - I can hardly believe that people are prepared to save a tenner by putting others at risk. Especially when 'others' are likely to be their nearest and dearest. Ask anyone who has lost a family member in a fire whether they would gladly spend a tenner (or a ton, or a grand) to have the victim back again? Put your hand in your pocket and buy the best you can. I hope you will never have cause to be glad you did.

This question arises from a post of Johns:

'What bugs me is having to replace perfectly good extinguishers again' (paraphrased)

Why are are they required on a boat, the Fire Brigade advice is 'in case of fire get out and stay out'.

They are not required in a house, perhaps this is another item that could be advisable and not compulsory on a boat. (Thinking BSS)

I know they have a shelf life but if they are in good order and in date why did you have to change them John?

p.s. I may be the devils advocate here as they are probably a good idea for an aid in escape. :lol:

Just thought i'de stick my ten pennorth in here, I spent a total of 23 years as a proffessional firefighter so i think i can confidantly post a reply to this. BCF and any other halon extinguisher in a confined space will probably poison you , the old CTC medium turned to mustard gas on contact with fire. C02 in a confined space will definately asphyxiate you, as will dry powder because they are designed to exclude oxygen from a fire, also to keep a DPin working order in needs to be inverted and shaken regularly to agitate the powder and stop it from clogging. A fire blanket will smother a fire in a chip pan or similar but is pretty well near useless if oxygen can get in underneath. If electricity has caused a fire and has then been isolated then its no longer an electric fire and can probably safely be tackled with water. Its true to say that the fire service would advocate GET OUT, STAY OUT, GET THE FIRE BIGADE OUT. But they also used to say that it MAY be acceptable to tackle the fire with the equipment provided if it is safe to do so. I must admit that when i first read the original post I thought that as a rider to the original question you could also add why maintain brakes on vehicles !!! Why have reserve parachutes, add infinitum. DO'H Edited by canalchris

Great advice from someone with a history of living 'on the bell'

Wow, just remembered the old brass CTC extinguishers we had on one of our old boats when you went through the list of extinguishants - looked great but as you say would kill you.

If there's a fire it needs three things: Fuel - Heat - Oxygen. If you're in a position where you unlucky enough to have a fire, even if you run, if it's possible to remove any of the three elements as you go, do it. (why don't boats have a 'push to shut off' gas and electricity system?)

V

(why don't boats have a 'push to shut off' gas and electricity system?)

V

People on here have toyed with the idea of having an electrically operated solenoid valve in the gas locker, that can cut of gas remotely.

But this means,

1) Electrics in the gas locker.

2) Extra complexity - if the solenoid fails - no domestic gas.

3) A constant current drain on your batteries when the solenoid is energised.

I'm not aware that the absence of such an arrangement have made many boat fires worse than they might otherwise have been.

Hard to see how isolating electrics would help much either, for the majority of boat fires.

Alan.

Tony.

The best use for a fire extinguisher, provided you are not unlucky enough to have porthole windows and no side hatch, is to use them to smash the nearest window so you can get out!

As a Radio Amateur I have often set my radio rooom (AKA 'shack') up with a simple high current 'push to break' switch. This was situated by the door (along with an RCB distribution box to allow the isolation of the 240v system too). Such 'panic' buttons for 12v (one for the supply to the inverter and one for the rest of the 12v) would fit the bill for the electrics.

As for the gas rather than have a solenoid system, I will be looking to fit a mecanical shut off valve ('push to shut-off) between the cylinders and the boats gas system. Anything that might cause a spark is not the most desireable thing in a gas locker is it? :lol:

HTH,

V

I spent many years working for British Gas - all of our vehicles were equipped with dry powder extinguishers, but on the odd occasion they needed to be used, I saw a couple fail. The general concensus was that it was due to the powder getting slowly more compacted as the vehicle was driven about - my BSS examiner remarked that this was also a common fault on boats - probably more so I guess. Our recommendation was to periodically give them a shake and invert them.

I spent many years working for British Gas - all of our vehicles were equipped with dry powder extinguishers, but on the odd occasion they needed to be used, I saw a couple fail. The general concensus was that it was due to the powder getting slowly more compacted as the vehicle was driven about - my BSS examiner remarked that this was also a common fault on boats - probably more so I guess. Our recommendation was to periodically give them a shake and invert them.

We use to invert and shake ours every 3 months and we had dozens of them, it was the best part of a days job just doing a visual and shake.

Brian

If you forget to do it, you have to stand on your head and bounce up and down when there's a fire ... :lol:

Slightly off topic but we have an automatic powder extinguisher in the engine bay. How exactly does it know when to go off? It cant be heat related as the engine bay gets hot during running so is it a smoke sensor?

The bulb will melt at extreme temp......or will be married to a smoke sensor in the engine bay.

I shake ours from time to time, proberbly not enough, as they can take some freeing.

- I think next time there become out of date i will swap some if not all of them for AFFF type.

Ive just bought a 1lt foam jobbie for the kitcar. Kite marked adn the works. For £14.

I did look at plumbed in systems, which include pull-to-operate and automative types.

- The automatice one i looked at had 3m of flexable plasic pipe, conected to the bottle, which melted at the area needed, in the case of a fire.

Daniel