Traditionalists, Purists... A Quesion... ?

Featured Posts

I disagree. Agriculture has been a huge blot on the primeval beauty of this land, all traces should be removed immediately!

Richard

I disagree. The so-called "primaeval beauty" is in fact an ugly contamination of the pristine ice age, please re-cover all in a sheet of glacial perfection.

Indeed. The thing that puzzles me about the 1HP boats is what their performance is like in reverse. I.e. how they stop? Presumably the only brakes they have are the rudder pushed over at 90 degrees. Thinking about it, I'd imagine this will probably bring a boat to a near stop from 3mph in about a boat length but require a lot of effort from the steerer. Or maybe just seer at the bank.

I suppose most reasons for stopping are pretty obvious well in advance with a horse boat though.

... and strapping posts were provided at strategic points for that very purpose.

Tim

I disagree. The so-called "primaeval beauty" is in fact an ugly contamination of the pristine ice age, please re-cover all in a sheet of glacial perfection.

Good call from Richard but sorry Graham, yours doesn't count! The primeval beauty is a natural progression driven by Mother Nature so must not be messed with. Agriculture is man-made corruption of the natural condition just like digging canals all over the place so is therefore a BAD THING.

But then to bring us back to the beginning, the Gaia principle would have it that the earth is an organism and we are an integral part of it. Therefore EVERYTHING man does to the environment is 'natural' and the Earth will take it in it's stride. A good example is the emerging lack of long term environmental impact by the man-made BP 'disaster' (according the the discussion on R5 yesterday).

In a million years I expect our canals will have all gone.... Mother Earth will fill them in for us eventually, so no need to worry after all.

There. All sorted.

I think we should all endeavour to return to the good old days of the Big Bang (or back to Genesis 1:1...for non-believers)

<snip>

In a million years I expect our canals will have all gone.... Mother Earth will fill them in for us eventually, so no need to worry after all.

There. All sorted.

Not good enough. I demand immediate non-man-made action to reverse this deplorable trend!!!!

Richard

he has broad shoulders :lol:

Well that will have to change...

As can be seen in the diagram below, the purist should be aiming for narrow shoulders, jutting out jaw, sloping forehead and a generous coating of hair.

Rensberger02.jpg

Not far off, Richard, getting there. ;)

Edited by carlt

Is that Billy Connolly on the right?

Richard

Dunno, but the second one in from the left (above 13) don't half look like a kid who visits my neighbour.

Hey! where's AB gone?

I want to know if his question has been answered yet so that I might be able to work out what it was :huh:

Apparently he logged off in shame, since discovering that his question might not be original at all, but a poorly executed "replica".

• Greenie 1

Indeed. The thing that puzzles me about the 1HP boats is what their performance is like in reverse. I.e. how they stop? Presumably the only brakes they have are the rudder pushed over at 90 degrees. Thinking about it, I'd imagine this will probably bring a boat to a near stop from 3mph in about a boat length but require a lot of effort from the steerer. Or maybe just seer at the bank.

Actually it's the same problem with a butty on a long line also.

In the middle of the cut there is little to do but run it aground, but this would be the last ever thing you would do, you always aim to continue your journey and go around the problem - something many boaters forget these days. Meeting a boat would always be known about well in advance - you'd see the others horse, if you didn't notice the horse prick up its ears on sensing the other animal first.

Stopping in locks, and getting around junctions was all done by ropes around posts.

If you pushed the tiller hard over it would just steer the boat into that bank - they work at 90 degrees quite happily.

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

I think the Troll did good - five pages of replies in a couple of days! :wacko:

But is provoking an entertaining, amusing and good spirited thread effective trolling?

As a purist I would like to see a traditional troll start a forum flame war, with members getting banned, threats of violence, foul language and Phylis explaining (badly) why black is white.

This troll is just a poor fake...You can even see where he's glued the horns on.

• Greenie 1

But is provoking an entertaining, amusing and good spirited thread effective trolling?

As a purist I would like to see a traditional troll start a forum flame war, with members getting banned, threats of violence, foul language and Phylis explaining (badly) why black is white.

This troll is just a poor fake...You can even see where he's glued the horns on.

Aye, things just aren't the same. Not like back in the good old days of dial-up modems

Richard

Apparently he logged off in shame, since discovering that his question might not be original at all, but a poorly executed "replica".

Or... had a five am start the following morning in build up to a couple of weeks off.

What's all this troll business anyway, have some people been watching too much Merlin?

There, that should do it... should be good for another five pages to read up on when I get back, have fun!