Braunston Tunnel Tugs

Bones

Featured Posts

Dave Hamster's pictures of MOLE, and maybe MOUSE too, are dated May 2008. The shot I took of MOUSE on the bank behind what was Balliol's yard was taken either late '85 or early '86, more likely the latter - and it was either new or docked and freshly painted. It did look quite 'unused', and Roger Farringdon was working there then as he and Dave did the steelwork on YARMOUTH that Winter of '85 - '86.

So when was this tunnel repair job undertaken?

The British Waterways Board index numbers for MOUSE and MOLE were amongst the first to be issued in 1980 / 1981, and both boats are on the earliest 'official' printout I have which is dated December 1983. I am also under the impression that these two push tugs were built specifically for tunnel contracting, but I am uncertain for which tunnel.

I have the index numbers for the later Union Canal Carriers Ltd. push tugs as ROGER in 1995 and FROG in 1997.

It's neither here nor there, but Pete's mention of dates makes me wonder if I am remembering correctly. I said I'd taken that shot in 85' or '86, there's a possibility I might have took it earlier - at a Christmas 'do' maybe - spied it and took a shot or two. There is another in print form taken from the back somewhere in a box!

IIRC, the major repair of Blisworth Tunnel was completed and reopened summer 1981

You remember incorrectly, at least according to period stoppage notices.

Braunston Tunnel closed on 01 October 1978 due to brick falls, and did not re-open until the Spring of 1980. I suspect this is where MOUSE and MOLE were utilised.

In December 1979 Blisworth Tunnel was closed for repairs due to cracked brick work, boats initially still passing through using B.W.B. staff as steerers. Waterways World October 1984 page 23 reports on the re-opening of Blisworth Tunnel on Wednesday 22 August 1984.

Most of Blisworth Tunnel was drained during these repairs, main access being from the northern portal where a road was laid through to the workface.

Edited by pete harrison

It was in 1983 that we undertook one of our earliest 'expeditions' on YARMOUTH, heading from Cowley to Skipton and of necessity going via the Thames and the Oxford so as to get round the closure of Blisworth for major rebuilding which resulted in the concrete section now within. This was when selected visitors to the site were transported in Volvo dumpers into the tunnel at about 30mph backwards so I am told. I seem to recall the tunnel being closed for four years, which concurs with Pete's data.

With regard to the tunnel 'Mice', I'm sure Roger Farringdon will be able to advise - bet he built them when working for Balliol.

You remember incorrectly, at least according to period stoppage notices.

Well it was nearly 40 years ago..... :help:

I remember reading a report on the reopening in one of the first Waterways Worlds I ever bought. Since my first canal holidays were taken in July 1979 and 81, then september 84, it had to be one of them.... :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

as requested id say -

Ive seen mouse a few times in our trips past Braunston,

interesting to hear more on "her" and sisters also..

sound slike there were at least 4 in the class or have I missed something?

There's a very similar looking tug just above Roundham lock at the mo'.

I couldn't get a piccie when I went past at the weekend, but I'll try to walk back and get a shot in the week.

No name on it, but an interesting 'A' frame device bolted to the bow.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...