Arson attack on ex-lover's boat in Hertfordshire

Josher

Featured Posts

Another boat fire ...

15 February 2011 Last updated at 13:53 BBC

Arson attack on ex-lover's boat in Hertfordshire denied

_51273236_kathleen.jpg

Kathleen Smith Kathleen Smith has elected not to give evidence at her trial

A woman poured petrol over her ex-lover's narrowboat on the Grand Union Canal and set it alight as he slept inside, a jury has heard. The prosecution at St Albans Crown Court claims Kathleen Smith carried out the attack because she was angry Jeremy Brewer had finished with her. Mr Brewer told the jury he had to be rescued by fire crews in January 2010.

Miss Smith, of Beechfield Road, Hemel Hempstead, denies arson with intent to endanger life. Mr Brewer told the court he woke on 6 January to find the boat on fire and was trapped inside the vessel at Boxmoor. Weeks earlier, Miss Smith had attacked him with a steam iron and told him "I will burn your boat", he said. "I thought 'she's actually gone and done it'," he told the jury.

Miss Smith denies assault occasioning actual bodily harm, relating to the alleged attack with the iron in November 2009. The court heard she began "ranting and raving" at Mr Brewer after she invited him to her home, four months after their four-year relationship ended. He said Miss Smith then smashed an iron over his head and he had to be taken to hospital by ambulance and required 18 stitches.

Miss Smith was granted bail with conditions that she should not visit Mr Brewer and have no contact with him. Laura Blackband, prosecuting, said Miss Smith knew Mr Brewer was on board the boat. The court heard the melted remains of a plastic petrol can were found by firefighters and there was a strong smell of petrol around the boat.

Miss Smith elected not to give evidence. The case continues.

Edited by Josher

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

The Mourning Bride (1697)

spoken by Zara in Act III, Scene VIII

William Congreve

This actually a popular mis quote, the original version:

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned,"

Edited by Ray T

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

The Mourning Bride (1697)

spoken by Zara in Act III, Scene VIII

William Congreve

This actually a popular mis quote, the original version:

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned,"

Ah - so it's not "Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns" then.

"innocent until proven guilty"

Sir William Garrow

Fair point.

The outcome here was a guilty verdict: BBC

Ex-lover convicted of Hertfordshire narrowboat arson: Kathleen Smith Kathleen Smith poured petrol over the narrowboat before setting it alight

A Hertfordshire woman has been found guilty of hitting her ex-lover with an iron and setting fire to his narrowboat while he slept on board. Kathleen Smith, 34, doused Jeremy Brewer's boat with petrol because she was angry he had finished with her, St Albans Crown Court was told. At the time of the attack, in January 2010, Smith was on bail for assaulting him with a steam iron.

Smith, of Beechfield Road, Hemel Hempstead, was remanded in custody. She will be sentenced in April for arson with intent to endanger life and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, both of which she denied.

During the trial, Mr Brewer told a jury he woke on 6 January to find the boat on fire and was trapped inside the vessel on the Grand Union Canal at Boxmoor. The court heard the melted remains of a plastic petrol can were found by firefighters, who rescued Mr Brewer.

In November 2009, Smith had attacked him with a steam iron and told him "I will burn your boat", Mr Brewer said. She smashed an iron over his head and he had to be taken to hospital by ambulance and required 18 stitches. The couple had been in a relationship for four years before their split in July 2009.

Smith elected not to give evidence during the trial.

Good to see that rampant sexism is alive and well on the waterways.

What part of this person's crime is due to her being a woman?

Could we expect the same kind of gender related comment if this crime was committed by a man?

I believe the last time a "crime of passion" was committed, we weren't allowed to discuss it.

All i can say is i am glad she never answered my ad in crew swap for someone to accompany me when i go cc' ing in the spring!

Although i guess there is time as she isnt going to be sentenced until april, and cruising the cut would be a good place to dissapear, so i will keep the pic on file just in case!

Rick

All i can say is i am glad she never answered my ad in crew swap for someone to accompany me when i go cc' ing in the spring!

Although i guess there is time as she isnt going to be sentenced until april, and cruising the cut would be a good place to dissapear, so i will keep the pic on file just in case!

Rick

Smith, of Beechfield Road, Hemel Hempstead, was remanded in custody. She will be sentenced in April for arson with intent to endanger life and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, both of which she denied.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Mr Jeremy Brewer her ex lover does. :rolleyes:

Well perhaps you could take part in a little test;

Try scowling at an intrusive cameraman whilst dealing with a very stressful time and smoking a cigarette.

Then post that picture here so the women on the forum can make comments on your suitability as a lover.

• Greenie 1

:smiley_offtopic:

I remember going to my graduation ball where there was a stripper performing at mid-time. I was surprised how disparaging my friends were about her looks. I thought she looked very nice and her face was pleasant, and she was doing her best in difficult surroundings - I couldn't see what they were on about. It was only long afterwards that I realised that men tend to use these comments as a sort of defence system - in case others think 'bad' of them. Sad really!

:wacko:

Well perhaps you could take part in a little test;

Try scowling at an intrusive cameraman whilst dealing with a very stressful time and smoking a cigarette.

Then post that picture here so the women on the forum can make comments on your suitability as a lover.

Having identified this woman as a "twisted firestarter" I would have thought her looks pretty unimportant in the scheme of things.

• Greenie 1