Arson attack on ex-lover's boat in Hertfordshire

Josher

Featured Posts

I still can't get my head round the mindset, is it a recent adaptation?

"You have ended a relationship with me, ME!this is unnacceptable and you must die."

It seems closely related to something I have encountered once or twice.

"Yes I stole from you, I needed it, this is ME we're talking about, but you you bastard you reported the theft to the police you rotten low down filthy grass, I'll get you for that."

• Greenie 1

Her gender is important if you're referring to it. Otherwise you'd have said "it's gender".

What have you been taking? And so early in the day.

She has a gender, she is a woman, the proper possessive pronoun to use for this person is 'her'.

I still can't get my head round the mindset, is it a recent adaptation?

"You have ended a relationship with me, ME!this is unnacceptable and you must die."

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned/ Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." by William Congreve in The Mourning Bride of 1697.

so no, not recent.

Edited by Chris Pink

• 1 month later...

These sentences confuse me. Is she out yet?

I can't see why, it seems clear enough.....

She was jailed for nine years with an extended sentence of five years.

It means she can be recalled to prison after her release any time in the next 14 years.

Her sentence is 9 years, so with the best will in the world, she is hardly likely to be out for a while, I'd have thought.

What sort of institution did you go to Jonk, that had strippers at the graduation? No wonder standards are falling.

Uni 1968 - but not at the Graduation Ball, my mistake, it was a leaving dance before everyone disappeared after the exams :lol: Standards are not falling, they have always been that level! :lol:

John

Edited by jonk

• 5 months later...

Only 18 mths in this case ...

UK_News_5-1_jpg_628800t.jpg

Mandy Fleming sank her estranged husband's luxury yacht by drilling holes in the hull and turning on the gas supply

Ex-wife jailed for sinking boat Thursday, 6 October 2011 Belfast Telegraph

A woman has been jailed for 18 months for sinking her husband's yacht on Valentine's Day. Mandy Fleming had gone to the Double Dragon in Brighton Marina for "menage-a-trios" with her then lover David Brown and his wife Nemone, the Old Bailey heard. But she "lost it" after seeing her estranged husband Adam had bought a new television and other items for the boat whilst saying he did not have any money.

She drilled three holes in the hull and turned on cooker gas taps which turned the £75,000 vessel into "an explosive bomb". Fleming of Sheerness, Kent, pleaded guilty to endangering life by causing criminal damage in 2004, when she appeared in court last month. Old Bailey Judge Richard Hone told her: "You were a manipulative, angry and troubled individual."

A woman has been jailed for 18 months for sinking her husband's yacht on Valentine's Day. Mandy Fleming had gone to the Double Dragon in Brighton Marina for "menage-a-trios" with her then lover David Brown and his wife Nemone, the Old Bailey heard. But she "lost it" after seeing her estranged husband Adam had bought a new television and other items for the boat whilst saying he did not have any money.

She drilled three holes in the hull and turned on cooker gas taps which turned the £75,000 vessel into "an explosive bomb". Fleming of Sheerness, Kent, pleaded guilty to endangering life by causing criminal damage in 2004, when she appeared in court last month. Old Bailey Judge Richard Hone told her: "You were a manipulative, angry and troubled individual."

Menage à Trios? (Trois is the word really). Her lover David Brown and his wife makes three, but where does estranged husband Adam come into this? That seems to be a menage à quatre. Extraordinary that it took 7 years for this to come to court though.

Is arson the biggest cause of boat fires? And within that category, are scorned lovers and grudges a bigger cause than random vandalism? I would guess definitely yes to the second question, and possibly, to the first, particularly in cases of serious fires.

Did the cooker not have a flame safety device or was that not part of the regs in 2004 ?

Well on boats covered by the BSS, (does that apply here ?), flame failure devices are only a requirement for hobs fitted on or after 3rd January 2000. Anything already fitted before that date is currently exempted from the requirement.

Is arson the biggest cause of boat fires? And within that category, are scorned lovers and grudges a bigger cause than random vandalism? I would guess definitely yes to the second question, and possibly, to the first, particularly in cases of serious fires.

Disgruntled "ex" is probably quite a common cause, I'd say.

One hears that several such incidents are thought to have been for this reason, although that information is not always put in the public domain.

Ok, ok, have a go at my grammar. I have other things to think about. I've just bought a new telly. Oh shite...

Well, I wouldn't have done, but you were having a go at someone else's sentence construction.

Anyway, I'm sure you can take it and it's a good opportunity to stick up for possessive its.