Washing Machines

nearlythere

Featured Posts

We have a washer dryer on board and a camping rotary line that we fix to the back of the boat for good days and have a fold up clothes drier for inside on the not so good days.

There is no fun taking bags of washing on the bus and walking to the launderete and watching them in the machines or have a service wash which can work out expensive.

We have a Gen Set and do the washing as we travel or charging batteries.

Regards

Andy

When we got our boat (second hand) it had a large washer-dryer taking up precious space in the galley. We planned to get rid of it, but within just a couple of weeks realised it was a really good thing to have. Now we are full time continuous cruisers that big washer dryer is an essential.

Like lots of other posts say...Travel Power is the way to make it work. We only have a small inverter and that is a good thing!

The dryer is good for emergencies but we find that a proper engine room as an excellent place to hang up the washing on a wet day!

We have a washer dryer on board and a camping rotary line that we fix to the back of the boat for good days and have a fold up clothes drier for inside on the not so good days.

There is no fun taking bags of washing on the bus and walking to the launderete and watching them in the machines or have a service wash which can work out expensive.

We have a Gen Set and do the washing as we travel or charging batteries.

Regards

Andy

We find drying much easier in the winter, just stand the airer in front of the stove overnight and clothes are bone dry next morning. Summer can be more of a prob on dull wet days.

3kw Victron handles auto washer with ease, only need engine running when heater is on.

A pretty standard fit on boats is the Candy Aquamatic T1000. Around £450-£500 new (if they still make them??), though look around on Ebay and you might find a cheapie. I bought a good, hardly used 2nd hand one for around £125 3 years ago and it is performing admirably.

I do my washing once a week in my Candy Aquamatic 1000T (3.5Kg jobbie). £99 secondhand from eBay.

Bung it on the 32 minute wash each Saturday morning, run the long spin twice. Total time = 1 hour.

Hang clothes up inside, stoke up the stove, leave overnight, all washing dry. DONE.

Plus I can watch the TV & charge my laptop/shaver/etc... whilst I run the generator.

Each to his/her own, I guess, but launderettes never seem to provide as good a wash as a domestic washing machine. We have a full size Zanussi washer/dryer on our 70' narrowboat, in the kitchen (sorry, galley), which is about 10' long so plenty of space. The washer cost me £150 secondhand about 6 years ago and is excellent. Mostly don't use the dryer, except in winter: clothes dry quickly hung out on a line strung around the bow deck. I run the machine off our 2.6kw generator (suitcase-style, cost £300, 2 years ago) on full power (surge to 2.8kw) and I reckon uses less petrol than the cost of an inferior launderette wash.

I'd hate to be dependent on launderettes, BW or local towns. Timing, cost, wash-quality, access ... ugh. Onboard, I only take care to be not too far from a water point and try to top up soon after a wash, as I've no idea how much water it uses (the machine, that is, not my body) :rolleyes:

Despite having the space and plumbing for a washing machine I haven't installed one, although considered it many times. I have pretty much lived aboard for two years now, extensively cruised the system, and always managed to easily locate and use launderettes.

Once you have sorted out how to run the washing machine (whether by shore power, generator, inverter or travel power), it's a great thing to have. Instead of carting all my dirty clothes down the towpath and sitting around in depressing landerettes waiting for the next free dryer, I can eat my breakfast and watch Andrew Marr while doing my washing.

In terms of the financial cost, a washing machine will eventually pay for itself. I had a generator anyway which I was using to run battery chargers, so I wouldn't include the entire cost of the generator in my washing costs. I found I was spending about £6 or £7 a week on laundry which even at £1300 corresponds to about 200 washes. Ok that doesn't include the cost of running the machine, but on shore power or generator I've found the running cost not to be a very significant at all.

Much cheaper alternative here which might suit the holiday / leisure boater that can arrange to do washing in relatively small amounts.

Clearly not a straight alternative to a full automatic, but can often be squeezed / stored in a whole lot less space.

Despite the price and the "Fisher Price" looks, they do really work.

WE fill ours with the shower hose, and discharge into the shower tray, so it needs no dedicated plumbing of it's own.

Just bought one from ebay [Valentines gift for Val] She will be very grateful I'm sure!

Thanks for the heads up Alan

A pretty standard fit on boats is the Candy Aquamatic T1000. Around £450-£500 new (if they still make them??), though look around on Ebay and you might find a cheapie. I bought a good, hardly used 2nd hand one for around £125 3 years ago and it is performing admirably.

I'm selling one if anyone's wanting.....pm me.

finding the time to go to a launderette is annoying, time consuming, but some people like it because its social or at least a good hour to read a book.

Exactly!. Last Summer found us moored in Paddington Basin. Needing laundry done found us cycling down the Edgeware Road laden with dirty washing. It gave us exercise, got us speaking to the locals and was a jolly nice afternoon out. A definate first and one we enjoyed immensly!

I have to say that the washing machine was one of the first things to go when we bought 'Alnwick' - well it was in the engine room! Subsequently we took a small spin dryer on board but I cannot remember when we last used it. We have found that launderettes are generally cheap, convenient and sociable.

We had the same concern during the build process of our boat.

After consultation on here, we were advised to opt for a washer dryer made by a Belgian company called CDA, as a Forum boat builder had installed a total of sixteen of these machines on various boats without any problems.

Initially, we were tempted to buy a Bosch or Miele washing machine, but were put off by tales suggesting that they weren't happy to run with generators, whereas the CDA has none of these problems.

The machine cost £500 and to do a quick 3kg wash costs us 12p on shoreline. The comparative marina wash is £3. We have the benefit of a 'Travelpower' generator on board that allows us to use the washer whilst cruising. We would not be without it!

On our previous boat, we had a 'Candy Aquawash 1000' 3kg washer that although being expensive for such a small machine, was excellent in terms of space accommodation.

Mike

I have to say that the washing machine was one of the first things to go when we bought 'Alnwick' - well it was in the engine room! Subsequently we took a small spin dryer on board but I cannot remember when we last used it. We have found that launderettes are generally cheap, convenient and sociable.

Especially the one in Cropredy - it's at the pub! :cheers:

We thought long and hard about the washing machine. We had a fairly new washer/dryer at home and obviously that would be the choice but we couldn't get it in through the doors and anyway it would have needed an upgraded invertor and electrical wiring. Looking around we found a new, full size twin tub, similar but much lighter to the one Granny had! It is a bit bigger than the auto but slimmer, takes very little power although we usually wash on the move, and the spin dryer is incredible. We've plumbed in the waste for emptying but fill it with 1 bucket hot, 2 buckets cold. Only problem, we cannot get a pair of those wooden tongs to get the clothes out so 'Himself' has to do it. He seems to be able to stand the hot water more or just loves the pain!

I manage with traipsing my dirty laundry down the tow path to the car. On the plus side, it then gets delivered to a most efficient washing system (aka the Mother-in-Law) and we pick it up a couple of days later washed and ironed (she even irons the socks!!). However saying that, there are times I want to wash something on board (see previous ironing socks - I can't imagine letting the MIL iron me smalls) so have recently bought one of those caravaning twin tub majobbies. When in use it sits on the draining board and is easily filled and emptied. When done with it fits quite neatly under the bathroom basin out of the way. I've been quite impressed with how well it washes and spins - not a patch on a domestic washer but good enough for what I need it for. The best bit was that it only cost me £30, as a repaired seconds from a camping/caravan place in Walsall. If I had the space I'd have a proper washing machine, but for the tiny amount of space we have, I'd stick with the fisher price version over hand washing any day!

One quick search later & LINKY

Prices start at £5.99 inc del

WOW what a star! I've searched various places including Ebay several times last year and came up with nothing. I must have been using the wrong terminology. New pair now (hopefully) speeding their way to me to save my poor sore hands.

Many thanks. Boyo

I manage with traipsing my dirty laundry down the tow path to the car. On the plus side, it then gets delivered to a most efficient washing system (aka the Mother-in-Law) and we pick it up a couple of days later washed and ironed (she even irons the socks!!).

Does she do contract work that can be delivered to your dad's jetty..? I'm sure Paul wouldn't mind passing it down a few boats and leaving it in our cratch :P

Mike

We have one. OK, it does take up space but it is used as storage for dirty laundry until it is time to wash. Not enough power to use the inbuilt heater in the washing machine, but it is a combined cold and hot fill. So we just use the hot fill program. When finished, the clothes hang on an airer on the foredeck, then into the airing cupboard once ironed.

We would not be without it. The washing machine goes on when we are moving when the water is hot. Cannot be bothered to hump the laundry to non existent launderettes and bring it back again. I think it is cheaper as well.

K

Edited by jelunga

We have one. OK, it does take up space but it is used as storage for dirty laundry until it is time to wash. Not enough power to use the inbuilt heater in the washing machine, but it is a combined cold and hot fill. So we just use the hot fill program. When finished, the clothes hang on an airer on the foredeck, then into the airing cupboard once ironed.

We would not be without it. The washing machine goes on when we are moving when the water is hot. Cannot be bothered to hump the laundry to non existent launderettes and bring it back again. I think it is cheaper as well.

K

I'm beginning to think that it will work out cheaper in the long run to have one onboard.....

1x wash @ Launderette = £.3.60 x 2 washes minimum per week x 52 weeks = £374.40 p/a so essentially it will pay for itself over 2/3 years? ;)