census Impact on live aboards

Strads

Featured Posts

Just realised that there is a national census coming along shortly.

We have rented our house out, and whilst this is short to medium term, it means that technically the tennants will be the residents that complete the forms.

We are on a mooring without a postal service so unlikely to get a form to complete..

I wonder how others are fixed and what options we have to get on the census, or do we just "miss this one out" so to speak.

be interested to hear how others cope so to speak. :help:

We have rented our house out, and whilst this is short to medium term, it means that technically the tennants will be the residents that complete the forms.

We are on a mooring without a postal service so unlikely to get a form to complete..

I wonder how others are fixed and what options we have to get on the census, or do we just "miss this one out" so to speak.

People residing on boats have been part of the census since it began. They are well used to collecting you!

• Greenie 1

We had a woman come wandering down the towpath, with a form to fill in, last time around.

It wasn't as good as newspaper, for lighting the burner, but it did the job.

I doubt if it will be so easy to avoid this time.

I don't know. I understand that the forms are being posted this time, instead of hand delivered.

I have put in to do some work on the census, so I may become an expert soon! :unsure:

Tony

:D

We have avoided the last two census thingys being liveaboards on both the last times and we are looking forward to avoiding big brother yet again for a third time. The facts are that we will be cruising so no form.

Great I love it............ :)

I don't know. I understand that the forms are being posted this time, instead of hand delivered.

There have always been teams sent out to give forms to those who don't have a postal address.

If the ConDems have cut this then it merely makes even more of a mockery, of the whole process, than before.

There have always been teams sent out to give forms to those who don't have a postal address.

Yes. In previous years the forms have been delivered & collected. This time the vast majority will be either online or postal.

It will be easy to deliver by hand to known boating/caravan communities, but I can't see them walking the towpaths to find the odd moored boat.

Tony

The poor enumerator got chucked in last time around; he really should've known not to go clambering onto people's boats uninvited.

Fair to say he knew where the blackleg CMers (as I was at the time) were moored.

Nice to note they'll be counting Pagans this time; I actually want to take part in this one.

I applied for a job with the census; it's being run by Capita - so I doubt that any statistically valid results will occur. They rejected my application after interview over the phone, then didn't reply to emails about the process, and then offered me the job anyway until I again made the point that I was living on board a boat. Apparently, a residential address in France can't be coped with either as the CRB check won't work...

I too am looking forward to receiving a form and follow-up visits.

Fun times.

I think that might be their way of assessing the answer to the sexuality question!

Oh no, is this the "How do you wire yours?" thread again?

I finished up on the end of a cable in that one...

Richard

Edited by RLWP

While I am sure the content of a census return itself will be kept confidential, what about those 'grey-area' moorers who may or may not have residential status? Could perhaps a marina with 50 leisure berths and 10 residential berths find itself embarrassed to have 30 census returns?

While Big Brother is still not the cleverest person, he is getting better. If you have any greyness to your mooring status it might be wise to give the census a miss ;-)

The poor enumerator got chucked in last time around; he really should've known not to go clambering onto people's boats uninvited.

Fair to say he knew where the blackleg CMers (as I was at the time) were moored.

Nice to note they'll be counting Pagans this time; I actually want to take part in this one.

not got round to counting Jedi's yet.

We had a woman come wandering down the towpath, with a form to fill in, last time around.

It wasn't as good as newspaper, for lighting the burner, but it did the job.

I doubt if it will be so easy to avoid this time.

Off topic but have to say love ya logo, what a band, dot dash!

I am not sure why people are so concerned about completing a census return. Whilst it is obligatory to complete the form indicating who slept overnight on the property, the entries are voluntary. Whilst the compiler is expected to tell the truth, in reality they can enter whatever they wish.

I undertake quite a lot of geneaology research and as a consequence read quite a few census returns, some of the entries are simply bizarre. I cannot place it at the moment, but one terraced house in the 1881 census listed something like 100 people all with obscure names from exotic locations with outrageous occupations.

There is a long tradition of entering spurious information apparently without redress, and in the past a number of people have had some fun at the poor enumerator's expense. If they kept it within reality, how did the enumerator know whether it was correct or not?

It messes up the research opportunities for future geneaologists though.

Edited by David Schweizer

I am not sure why people are so concerned about completing a census return. Whilst it is obligatory to complete the form indicating who slept overnight on the property, the entries are voluntary. Whilst the compiler is expected to tell the truth, in reality they can enter whatever they wish.

I undertake quite a lot of geneaology research and as a consequence read quite a few census returns, some of the entries are simply bizarre. I cannot place it at the moment, but one terraced house in the 1881 census listed something like 100 people all with obscure names from exotic locations with outrageous occupations.

I am familiar with the entry in 1881. Only 25 people, but an obvious forgery (it is actually as a result of somebody adding spurious entries to a blank page, probably in the 1960s, rather than a recalcitrant householder in 1881;

Dwelling: 16 Acacia Gardens

Census Place: Paddington, London, Middlesex, England

Source: FHL Film 1341004 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0020 Folio 126

Page 48

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

Robert GOODMAN M 52 M Maidstone, Kent, England

Rel: Head Handicap: Lunatic

Occ: International Playboy

Cecily GOODMAN M 97 F Maidstone, Kent, England

Rel: Wife

Occ: No Profession

Robert GOODMAN U 40 M Maidstone, Kent, England

Rel: Son

Occ: Ponce

James GOODMAN U 12 M Maidstone, Kent, England

Occ: Scholar

Iain SMITH M 65 M Timbucktoo

Rel: Servant

Occ: Butler

Nelly SMITH M 65 F Nepal, India

Occ: Wife Dom Serv

Alfred GREEN U 40 M Rangpoor

Occ: Chauffur

Abraham WILKE U 25 M Afghanistan

Occ: Footman

John GORDON U 31 M Pakistan

David KING U 25 M Syria

William JOHNSTONE U 40 M Lisbon

Mary SMART U 20 F India

Occ: Ladys Maid

Lizzie JONES U 19 F Colombo

Jean ABRANOS U 17 F Penal Colony, Australia

Mary WILSON M 41 F Timbuctoo

Occ: Laundry Maid

Elizabeth KIMMETT U 30 F Timbuctoo

Occ: Kitchen Maid

Mary BENNETT U 25 F Timbuctoo

Nellie DAVIS U 31 F Timbuctoo

Occ: Cook

Mary PINK U 28 F Timbuctoo

Occ: Nurse

June MELLOR OR MELLON U 18 F Persia

Occ: Governess

Margaret SIDNEY U 23 F Russia

Occ: Under Nurse

Peter GEORGE M 40 M Russia

Occ: Gardener

John KING U 31 M Russia

Occ: Asst Gardener

William PALMER U 15 M Nepal, India

Occ: Page

John GORDON U 14 M Nepal, India

I am familiar with the entry in 1881. Only 25 people, but an obvious forgery (it is actually as a result of somebody adding spurious entries to a blank page, probably in the 1960s, rather than a recalcitrant householder in 1881;

Dwelling: 16 Acacia Gardens

Census Place: Paddington, London, Middlesex, England

Source: FHL Film 1341004 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0020 Folio 126

Page 48

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

Robert GOODMAN M 52 M Maidstone, Kent, England

Rel: Head Handicap: Lunatic

Occ: International Playboy

Cecily GOODMAN M 97 F Maidstone, Kent, England

Rel: Wife

Occ: No Profession

Robert GOODMAN U 40 M Maidstone, Kent, England

Occ: Ponce

James GOODMAN U 12 M Maidstone, Kent, England

Occ: Scholar

Iain SMITH M 65 M Timbucktoo

Occ: Butler

Nelly SMITH M 65 F Nepal, India

Occ: Wife Dom Serv

Alfred GREEN U 40 M Rangpoor

Occ: Chauffur

Abraham WILKE U 25 M Afghanistan

John GORDON U 31 M Pakistan

David KING U 25 M Syria

William JOHNSTONE U 40 M Lisbon

Mary SMART U 20 F India

Lizzie JONES U 19 F Colombo

Jean ABRANOS U 17 F Penal Colony, Australia

Mary WILSON M 41 F Timbuctoo

Occ: Laundry Maid

Elizabeth KIMMETT U 30 F Timbuctoo

Mary BENNETT U 25 F Timbuctoo

Nellie DAVIS U 31 F Timbuctoo

Occ: Cook

Mary PINK U 28 F Timbuctoo

Occ: Nurse

June MELLOR OR MELLON U 18 F Persia

Occ: Governess

Margaret SIDNEY U 23 F Russia

Occ: Under Nurse

Peter GEORGE M 40 M Russia

Occ: Gardener

John KING U 31 M Russia

Occ: Asst Gardener

William PALMER U 15 M Nepal, India

John GORDON U 14 M Nepal, India

Yes that is the one.

Whilst I was not aware of the 1960 spurious entry, there are certainly many entries which are not correct, from people giving erronoeous occupations to giving a different birthplace every ten years.

Yes that is the one.

Whilst I was not aware of the 1960 spurious entry

The dead giveaway is that one of the servants was born in Pakistan, a country that didn't exist in 1881.

That immediately tells us that the entry is after the partition of India. Information from the GRO suggests that the CEBs were left undisturbed until the 1960s when they were filmed. The theory is that a bored camera operator added the entry.

• 1 month later...