BCN Mooring

clovey

Featured Posts

I am cruising to Birmingham in April, plenty of locks coming from Camp Hill direction, has anyone had any experience of OVERNIGHT mooring at or near The Bond or Typhoo Basin. It would allow me to break the climb to central Birmingham?

I am cruising to Birmingham in April, plenty of locks coming from Camp Hill direction, has anyone had any experience of OVERNIGHT mooring at or near The Bond or Typhoo Basin. It would allow me to break the climb to central Birmingham?

If you get past Typhoo and up the 6 Ashted locks, I've been told that the Science Park thereabouts is a fairly safe overnight mooring. Short of the Typhoo is The Bond, which has a cafe and a small dock (normally occupied by resident boats). Can't recall if there are moorings nearby, though.

I've been up Farmer's bridge at night, it's not too bad, and worth it as Cambrian is a great place to moor. (but some of the local residents are a bit off ;) )

If you get past Typhoo and up the 6 Ashted locks, I've been told that the Science Park thereabouts is a fairly safe overnight mooring.

I have moored at the Science Park a couple of times over the years, without any problem. No other boats but the towpath was well used by local joggers, dog walkers etc.

There'll be lots of people around the science park in term time but much less out of term; it's a bit of a graveyard if the students aren't about.

Coming that way the 10 mile pound is full of rubbish and Ashted & Garrison aren't the prettiest of settings; come up Lapworth instead? Leaves a clear day's run from the outskirts into the centre... and you'll avoid the Cambrian blacklegs....

Typhoo basin is a bit lonely.

Top of the Camp Hill flight is fine, there's a shower block and everything

Richard

Not quite everything. When we were last there someone had nicked the washing machine and dryer!

I've moored at the science park a few times - been fine. Camp Hill also looks good. Not sure if they're still closong the lock flights early to savd water - best to check w BW/waterscape before planning an ascent at night.

Would agree - lovely boat (Badsey) and the paint job looks really good. We were told that staying overnight in the Science Park was OK for one night but not for 2 nights as certain groups notice that you are still there! This advice was from BW guy just downstream from Aston Sc Prk. Have stayed a couple of times but only for one night and it has been fine.

Sounds like the wild west up there. I am glad im on the lovely K&A.

I have been known to wear a stetson whilst at the tiller, yes. Mind you, I'm never sure how many "yee-haw"s it is to indicate a turn to port. Still, granny's up front with a shotgun if any confusion arises.

Thanks for the advice all the way to the K&A and back. The answer to why not use the Lapworth North Stratford route is as they say simples I've been that way a half dozen times or more!

:rolleyes: