Buying NB.

Picard

Featured Posts

Hi. Looking to buy a NB as my home for the next 10-15 years. Is it resonable to ask for a three day trial, providing that it's not being used as a live a board, so I can check everything that would not be apparent in a 2hr visit, fuel useage, engine, batteries, ease of handeling, leaks, etc,. On the understanding that If an offer was not made, the time would be paid for. Or is this a request too far?

Hi. Looking to buy a NB as my home for the next 10-15 years. Is it resonable to ask for a three day trial, providing that it's not being used as a live a board, so I can check everything that would not be apparent in a 2hr visit, fuel useage, engine, batteries, ease of handeling, leaks, etc,. On the understanding that If an offer was not made, the time would be paid for. Or is this a request too far?

Hi. Our boat is not liveaboard, but if we were selling it (which we aren't) I don't think we would be very happy for someone to take it away unsupervised for several days. However, a good trip out,(several hours) with the potential purchaser at the helm, your own examination of the boat and a full survey should, I would have thought, tell you all you need to know about the condition of the boat. Good luck with your search.

You could ask but I doubt it would happen.

To many narrowboats have disappeared, people having 'hired' them and not returned.

You may be able to, if you left a deposit, equal to the value of the boat.B)

Put it this way - if you were selling your car would you give a potential buyer (who you may not know from Adam) the keys and invite them to bring it back in three days?

Your only hope of doing this would be a trial of a hireboat approaching "retirement". ISTR that Black Prince did this. You had to pay for the hire, if you bought the boat, the hire cost was taken off the sale price.

picard-facepalm.jpg

An Ozzie cricket fan watching the final day of the Ashes series, 2010

Out of interest, Captain Picard, are you looking to sell the Starship Enterprise? If so, I would be very interested providing I can try it out for 3 days. I would need to test out a few things, such as the functionality of the warp factor.

To many narrowboats have disappeared, people having 'hired' them and not returned.

How do people make narrowboats disappear? They don't exactly move fast and there's only so much canal they can cover in a given time, plus which people tend to remember them passing if they're in any way distinctive.

Or is the danger organised thieves craning them out, repainting, and then dropping them back in somewhere else?

How do people make narrowboats disappear? They don't exactly move fast and there's only so much canal they can cover in a given time, plus which people tend to remember them passing if they're in any way distinctive.

Or is the danger organised thieves craning them out, repainting, and then dropping them back in somewhere else?

Have a search for the Narrowboat Holly threads. Repaints, new stove, internal changes...

Richard

You don't need to take a boat out of the water to repaint it. In fact you don't even need to stop cruising - although one such stolen boat was successfully stopped because somebody thought it was rather unusual for a boat to be repainted in the middle of the night while passing through Stoke Bruerne locks, and reported it. There were a crane and low-loader waiting to lift it out and transport it across country - and it must be one of the very few occasions when a narrowboat has been successfully chased by a Police helicopter!