Gongoozlers' Rest Restored

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

I popped in to Braunston yesterday, in part to see how the refurbishment of the great Gongoozlers' Rest was coming on. This charming narrowbaot cafe is presently closed whilst improvements are made to the kitchen and more. All appears set for the intended 4th Feb reopening.

Braunston is lucky to have such a gently eccentric and friendly establishment - where one can never be quite sure that a bacon sandwich will not be disturbed by a boating collision - but are there other unusual and interesting places to eat in on the canals - places which are free from corporate blandness, places which, through their location or construction or owners, are individual and intriguing and worth the visit, whether you enjoy the cuisine or not?

I popped in to Braunston yesterday, in part to see how the refurbishment of the great Gongoozlers' Rest was coming on. This charming narrowbaot cafe is presently closed whilst improvements are made to the kitchen and more. All appears set for the intended 4th Feb reopening.

Braunston is lucky to have such a gently eccentric and friendly establishment - where one can never be quite sure that a bacon sandwich will not be disturbed by a boating collision - but are there other unusual and interesting places to eat in on the canals - places which are free from corporate blandness, places which, through their location or construction or owners, are individual and intriguing and worth the visit, whether you enjoy the cuisine or not?

The Bistro at Hillmorton is worth a visit and sells everything from icecreams to a full meal with a bar. Lots of interesting artefacts and run by an interesting couple.

Sue

Thank you for the replies this far.

I will add one more myself: the welcoming and gently quirky cafe which is part of the lock-keeper's house at Barrowford Top Lock on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. I recall being hugely impressed by the value and excellence of their bacon rolls - and by the friendly people. I would certainly go back.

There must be more gems like this.

Edited by Geoffrey Hammond

A pub/restaurant I can strongly recommend, both for price and quality is the Bridge Inn at Branston, on the T and M, near Tattenhill Lock. You cannot book ahead but the location is popular with boaters as an overnighter, so get there before our long day boating friends. This could be an excellent thread as I am always searching for good overnight spots with/without the pub - but preferably with.

The Bridge Inn

Edited by NB Lola

A pub/restaurant I can strongly recommend, both for price and quality is the Bridge Inn at Branston, on the T and M, near Tattenhill Lock. You cannot book ahead but the location is popular with boaters as an overnighter, so get there before our long day boating friends. This could be an excellent thread as I am always searching for good overnight spots with/without the pub - but preferably with.

The Bridge Inn

We often stop there & I would love to try the food, but it,s an Italian menu & everything on it has cheese in it --- & I dont like sodding cheese in my food.

Just have to make do with the beer!

Tony

I like the idea: we called in to this one (below) when walking along the towpath at Slaithwaite:

Snapshot2011-01-0113-23-02.jpg

I remember when I was moored in Huddersfield (c. 2005) this coming past. They (two women iirc) were bowhauling and poling it. Can't remember where from but it was a long way! I'm glad they seem to have made a success of it.

We often stop there & I would love to try the food, but it,s an Italian menu & everything on it has cheese in it --- & I dont like sodding cheese in my food.

Just have to make do with the beer!

Tony

Tony

Just tell em no cheese, they will, I am fairly sure, oblige

paul

• 2 weeks later...

First time i went in there with another forum member we both met Domonic

Proper breakfast

What happens if someone wants to use the lock?........ Guess they will just have to stick the nose upto the gates.

It's a short pound - you can walk down to set the lock from the previous (guillotine) one, even if single-handed. Of course, being a short pound, the level fluctuates every time a boat goes through, and the tea boat heels over, much to the annoyance of the owner. She doesn't get annoyed very often, though, as there's rarely as many as 10 boats a week!

Well there is the little tea shop in the small hut shown at the bottom of this photograph on the Macclesfield Canal (Lord Vernon's Wharf) - and an old fashioned pub in the top corner (Boars Head).

Snapshot2011-01-0210-35-24.jpg

I have given both my custom. The tea shop is also a small chandlers. They could not have been more helpful when I was trying to contact another boater we were meeting there. Even let me use their internet for nought to send an email.

The pub served good food and beer.

If you carry on up the road by the side of the pub, off the top of the picture, you come to the Anson Engine Museum. Very interesting engines, most of which work. We had a great day out at the pub and the Museum!

K

The external repairs to Gongoozler are complete as is the repaint. Re-fitting inside well advanced so it shouldnt be long before it is back on its usual mooring complete with its new colour scheme.

Gongoozler-1.jpg

The new kitchen extension has totally changed the look of the boat

Gongoozlersnewextension.jpg

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Annie's tearoom at Thrupp. Great sandwiches and cakes, nice atmosphere.

Also, a bit north of that, the Floating Farm, just north of Pigeon's Lock. Tea, soup and massive slices of cake. If you ring ahead, they can sometimes do something a bit more substantial. Fun place to explore for the kids and they often have veg for sale.