Cairo and Warwick

Ray T

Featured Posts

Have a look at these:

Enjoy!!!

My goodness - what a wonderful thing to suddenly appear!

Magic!

The poster says they want more information, but presumably Sonia herself could shed more light on this footage.

The stuff around Limehouse and Islington is wonderful. One reads those accounts of how overloaded timber barges often got jammed in the tunnel, and seeing one there, it's not hard to imagine how.

I trust George had the relevant Boatmasters, and that Cairo and warwick were fully certified for that number of people on board! :lol:

My goodness - what a wonderful thing to suddenly appear!

Magic!

The poster says they want more information, but presumably Sonia herself could shed more light on this footage.

The stuff around Limehouse and Islington is wonderful. One reads those accounts of how overloaded timber barges often got jammed in the tunnel, and seeing one there, it's not hard to imagine how.

I trust George had the relevant Boatmasters, and that Cairo and warwick were fully certified for that number of people on board! :lol:

I passed information about these videos on to Sonia yesterday, but don't expect a reply from her for a week or so

• 1 month later...

Terrific quality.

Colour film has a habit of losing colours over time esp green and blue.

I have a lot of colour film from the 60s and 70s which is now monochrome - brown and black. :cheers:

I raised this problem with the Tecnical Director of Kodak when he joined Vesta for a trip on the Avon in 1964 at the Stratford Rally. He said it was bacteria eating the colours and there was no solution. The films would continue to be availble for producing black and white versions.Lovely to see a young Sonia Smith, Rolt, she is a fascinating lady and a good friend to me and my family.

Edited by Max Sinclair

Quite possibly two separate lines, though the line from the luby may well be locked onto the T stud, then across to the butty. The luby line pulls the butty forward, and across to keep together. That leaves only one cross strap at the stern to keep them together at the back and stop the butty running on.

Quite possibly two separate lines, though the line from the luby may well be locked onto the T stud, then across to the butty. The luby line pulls the butty forward, and across to keep together. That leaves only one cross strap at the stern to keep them together at the back and stop the butty running on.

Absolutely correct. This was a very popular method of going abreast for 'Barlow' boats, the reason being most Nurser / Barlow built buttys had no 'Tunnel Hook' at their stern - although they did have an 'Anser Pin' just forward of the cabin end. I am sure that most people are aware that both CAIRO and WARWICK are former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. 'Walker' built boats and so WARWICK had both a 'Tunnel Hook' and an 'Anser Pin' at its stern end and did not need to go abreast in the method mentioned above. Clearly George Smith preferred boating the typical 'Barlow' way.

Edited by pete harrison