Favourite bit of Kit you wouldn't be without

PatM293

Featured Posts

One of my friends just got the new Kindle and I've just had a play. Must admit I more impressed than I thought I would be. It was smaller than I thought it would be (used to iPad!), but also very thin. It also weighed next to nothing (similar weight to a iPhone!). Speed of turning pages was also impressive and quicker than I thought.

plus kindle lasts for weeks on a charge you can also get a cover in leather to prtect it but the neat thing about the cover is it clips to the kindles battery and the cover has its on led light fixed to it that you pull out from the corner to light the front but you dont ned to hold the light its brilliant bit of kit

plus kindle lasts for weeks on a charge you can also get a cover in leather to prtect it but the neat thing about the cover is it clips to the kindles battery and the cover has its on led light fixed to it that you pull out from the corner to light the front but you dont ned to hold the light its brilliant bit of kit

OMG !!!!

You can buy a book in a charity shop for 25p...and save someone from cancer !!!

But...you could buy a Kindle...which is amazing...and it may last at least a year...before you have to get the next version !!

Wonder why I have the money to be in Spain in the winter...and you're all in the ice !!

Maybe I should be a sucker and buy crap...

Bob

My fave bits of kit for entertainment purposes are; my ipod classic and the Bose portable sound dock (battery onboard)also my netbook and dongle. The netbook is superb giving 6/8 hrs use from its onboard battery.

Phil

Out of curiosity what make is your Net book??

OMG !!!!

But...you could buy a Kindle...which is amazing...and it may last at least a year...before you have to get the next version !!

Wonder why I have the money to be in Spain in the winter...and you're all in the ice !!

OMG I get 1000's of books for free on the Kindle and my environment impact is much less than paper books (once you've read more than 100 on the Kindle).

OMG I get 1000's of books for free on the Kindle and my environment impact is much less than paper books (once you've read more than 100 on the Kindle).

OMG...when I get out of todays sun...I will work out how long it will take me to read 1000 books...and ...when I get on a plane...and burn loads of fuel...I really worry about my impact (not)

I guess...if I spent all my money on 'must haves'....I to...would have to live in England....instead of Spain...or Cyprus...

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

OMG...when I get out of todays sun...I will work out how long it will take me to read 1000 books...and ...when I get on a plane...and burn loads of fuel...I really worry about my impact (not)

I guess...if I spent all my money on 'must haves'....I to...would have to live in England....instead of Spain...or Cyprus...

Bob

Fortunately as we live in a democracy we (or rather those of us who are lucky enough to have some) can spend our money on what we like.

It doesn't mean we have to mock folk or be sarcastic about those who choose to spend their money on things that you don't agree with.

For the avoidance of doubt - yes I have a Kindle too - I was chuffed to bit's when I got one for xmas...and yes I like Spain too - I don't choose to live there though - I prefer France...

All? You don't know how much people earn so how do you know if it's all? My 'must haves' may cost me 5% of my wage or they may cost me more, but all have certainly brought me enjoyment and education to myself and have been worth every penny.

OMG !!!!

Bob

And people tell ME to act my age..

There goes a 55 year old child.

In this weather, a BIG kettle. We ran out of running water 5 weeks ago now, so a fair amount of time is spent trekking to the nearest pub (Hubby is quite pleased about this excuse!) with containers. However, the water is cold, so the only way we have to heat it is on top of our permanently lit stove (heating it on the hob takes too much gas). Then at least we can get a hot drink/wash dishes/ourselves etc with comparatively little bother.

Roll on a thaw!!!!

• 1 year later...

As a newbie I'm interested to know, Apart from the obvious Heater, phone, etc. What piece of kit could or would you never be without in this present climate ? What is it & why ;) i'll be taking notes for my emergency/survival box. Also does anyone know of a Website where I could purchase a lockmaster windlass as this seems ideal for my present condition/disability, please. I did see someone on the Forum had made there own. Thanks again, Stay Safe & warm.

First, my Lockmaster Windlass. I am just over 5ft and therefore, I just don't have the leverage to haul the windlass up from the bottom easily, and it is a really bad strain on my knees to do it. I bought mine at Braunston Chandlery, and now working locks is kind of like pulling beers or cappuccinos. For putting parades down the long handle clicks into the usual 90degree handle. It's heavy but the weight is no problem, it actually helps. It's a bit slower going back on the ratchet but worth it. It is expensive but worth it in the long run.

My partner was given a mean looking bill hook to chop weeds and rope off the prop if needed. New use for it is an efficient wood splitter.

My 3 com broadband dongle and wifi hub. Connectivity is vial for me as our home is in Aussieland and we need to make sure all those bills are paid!

My iPad which I can use for navigation either with wifi, and out in the town, bt mobile sim card. I can use my iPad for reading, games, correspondence and many other things. I mainly use my MacBook Pro for emails and uploading photos from my SD camera card.

The inverter for recharging all this gear.

Two things I wouldn't be without- a Vac wet 'n' dry and a Pela 600.I bought the ickle Pela with the globe thingamigig but was monumentally unimpressed.The 600 is a wonder though, years later I'm still impressed by how efficiently it silently hoovers up water.Useful for checking diesel tank for water contamination as well.The Vac makes plumbing dramas into a non event and has failed to die despite years of unsympathetic use.

Two things I wouldn't be without- a Vac wet 'n' dry and a Pela 600.I bought the ickle Pela with the globe thingamigig but was monumentally unimpressed.The 600 is a wonder though, years later I'm still impressed by how efficiently it silently hoovers up water.Useful for checking diesel tank for water contamination as well.The Vac makes plumbing dramas into a non event and has failed to die despite years of unsympathetic use.

I'll second that, I also have a Pela 600 mainly bought for oil changes but for leaks either oil water or diesel and especially getting to awkward places it's invaluable. Oil change is easy too, pump it up go have cup of tea, whilst it sucks out the oil.

MMMMMM wet & dry Vac Haven't got one ---------- Yet. What make is yours BTW

I'll second that, I also have a Pela 600 mainly bought for oil changes but for leaks either oil water or diesel and especially getting to awkward places it's invaluable. Oil change is easy too, pump it up go have cup of tea, whilst it sucks out the oil.

MMMMMM wet & dry Vac Haven't got one ---------- Yet. What make is yours BTW

Mine's a 6121, seriously I have regularly failed to swap filters when using it as a water pump and it still works great.Anything that can survive four years of (ab)use at my hands gets my vote.

• 2 weeks later...

my favourite bit of kit (s):

My stove (best thing ever to be installed damn sight more reliable than my stupid eberspacher rubbish)

My petzl (generally used trying to fix stupid eberspacher rubbish every winter until a decision was made regarding its life span)

My whale gulpers (for pumping out bilge)

My espresso machine and grinder (coffee not angle) :-)

So many things I would like to add to this list when I have the money to buy them

I have been looking back through this thread for somebody who says 'Smartguage & Smartbank' to answer LesRollins thread of the same name :lol:

My Chinese Fluke meter and the DAB radio for me

Entertainment wise, a DAB digital radio/cd player; Kindle and a sony e-reader (they both have their good and bad points) and a dongle on 3 (network - in 3 years of full time cruising, I think we've only had 4 days when we've not had coverage).

For safety - a mobile phone (plus a couple of pay-as-you-go sim cards on other networks - coverage of course) & RCR membership

For warmth - an eco fan

And best of all - an old fashioned shopping trolley.

• 2 years later...

As a newbie I'm interested to know, Apart from the obvious Heater, phone, etc. What piece of kit could or would you never be without in this present climate ? What is it & why wink.gif i'll be taking notes for my emergency/survival box. Also does anyone know of a Website where I could purchase a lockmaster windlass as this seems ideal for my present condition/disability, please. I did see someone on the Forum had made there own. Thanks again, Stay Safe & warm.

Hi PatM293. The website you are looking for is www.lockmasterwindlass.co.uk. If you have any questions that the website doesn't address, please don't hesitate to contact me and I would be pleased to help.

Like you I love books but once I have read them I get rid of them either to Charity Shops or to Book Drops for other people to enjoy.

Anyway I have been debating about The Kindle for a while but as I live on a boat and use a Dongle how would I go about downloading the books. Also not sure I like the idea of trying to read from a Kindle when in bed!!!

I used to say that I would never have a kindle as I preferred a real book.

But since buying one would never be without a kindle now, love being able to just slip it in my pocket when I go out instead of having no where to put a book because my pockets are to small.

Read a kindle in bed is brilliant because they are back lit so when you have finished reading for the night no need to put a light out because you can read the kindle in the dark

Hi PatM293. The website you are looking for is www.lockmasterwindlass.co.uk. If you have any questions that the website doesn't address, please don't hesitate to contact me and I would be pleased to help.

PatM293 was last active on here just over two years ago.