Favourite bit of Kit you wouldn't be without

PatM293

Featured Posts

You may also want to look at the iPad if your more looking at tech type manuals it's a bigger colour screen and quicker as well as been more versatile with the the amount of Apps available. The Kindle is good at "one page at a time" type reading, but it's slow at page turns so flipping through a manual/book is a chore. Of course the Kindle is lighter, cheaper and has a eink type screen which is better for outdoors and bright environments.

Thank you, the IPAD it is, or will (eventually) be, despite being much more expensive. As well as the multiple advantages and apps you describe above,

in looking elsewhere on the net I find that it can store sheet music and roll it up the screen, controlled by a plug-in foot pedal. It has its critics

the IPAD but the fast-loading, sharp, colour screen appeals.

Thank you, the IPAD it is, or will (eventually) be, despite being much more expensive. As well as the multiple advantages and apps you describe above,

in looking elsewhere on the net I find that it can store sheet music and roll it up the screen, controlled by a plug-in foot pedal. It has its critics

the IPAD but the fast-loading, sharp, colour screen appeals.

Never knew it could so that! There's also the Kindle app on the iPad so if you ever plan to get the Kindle you can share books between the devices.

If you can wait until April, the 2nd gen iPad is rumored to be out then.

Never knew it could so that! There's also the Kindle app on the iPad so if you ever plan to get the Kindle you can share books between the devices.

Robbo, is there any indication if the next iPad will run more than one app at a time?

Richard

I must have misunderstood the one I tried out. You have to quit Safari to go and run something else, right?

Richard

It doesn't support multiple windows on the screen at the same time, but it doesn't quit the app when you hit the home button to go to another app. Apps either save there current state or for apps like for music / gps they can continue to run certain background tasks.

It doesn't support multiple windows on the screen at the same time, but it doesn't quit the app when you hit the home button to go to another app. Apps either save there current state or for apps like for music / gps they can continue to run certain background tasks.

That's pretty much how I understood it. We were looking to use an iPad to access a remote server, but couldn't run Safari and the secure connection software at the same time.

Richard

My fave bits of kit for entertainment purposes are; my ipod classic and the Bose portable sound dock (battery onboard)also my netbook and dongle. The netbook is superb giving 6/8 hrs use from its onboard battery.

Phil

That's pretty much how I understood it. We were looking to use an iPad to access a remote server, but couldn't run Safari and the secure connection software at the same time.

Richard

What connection software is it and what is it aimed at to do?

There are VPN connections that the iPad has, but there I think there is more options here if you download the iPhone Configuration Utility.

You download the ebooks to your computer then transfer to the kindle via the usb.

Reading the Kindle in bed is the same as a book. there is no backlight so no glare on tired eyes

One of my friends just got the new Kindle and I've just had a play. Must admit I more impressed than I thought I would be. It was smaller than I thought it would be (used to iPad!), but also very thin. It also weighed next to nothing (similar weight to a iPhone!). Speed of turning pages was also impressive and quicker than I thought.

Edited by Robbo

The way the economy is going it'll be at least then before I'm in a position to buy, certainly will look

for the gen 2 version. The nephew in USA is a great fan of IPAD, uses it all the time in his work.

Must look at possibility of importing direct via him or buying his original when he trades up........

The way the economy is going it'll be at least then before I'm in a position to buy, certainly will look

for the gen 2 version. The nephew in USA is a great fan of IPAD, uses it all the time in his work.

Must look at possibility of importing direct via him or buying his original when he trades up........

Got a feeling the next iPad will have a higher res screen, although the current one is good I'm now spolit by the iphone 4's display...

What connection software is it and what is it aimed at to do?

There are VPN connections that the iPad has, but there I think there is more options here if you download the iPhone Configuration Utility.

Off the top of my head, something based around ssh and putty to a linux server

Richard

Edited by RLWP

works exactly like it says...jiggle the copper and glass marble valve end in the diesel and it auto syphons within seconds. .......and a year ago Id never have believed I could get so excited about a jiggle syphon! laugh.gif

You've just sold me on it!

Off the top of my head, something based around ssh and putty to a linux server

That would make sense. A solution would be to use OpenVPN on the Linux box and use a proper VPN rather than a SSH tunnel.

If that's not possible, the iPad app called iSSH has tunnelling for VNC, so you could use that (you need to install VNC server on the Linux server as well as any desktop apps like firefox if you need a browser)

Edited by Robbo

That would make sense. A solution would be to use OpenVPN on the Linux box and use a proper VPN rather than a SSH tunnel.

Maybe. That's not how the secure connections to the server work though. I'm afraid I don't understand the technical details, the guy who wrote the operating system for the server does. You can take it up with him if you like Zybert Computing

Richard

works exactly like it says...jiggle the copper and glass marble valve end in the diesel and it auto syphons within seconds. .......and a year ago Id never have believed I could get so excited about a jiggle syphon! laugh.gif

I was sold one by the slickest snake oil salesman I have ever encountered, at Hollowell Steam Rally.

I took it home convinced I'd been relieved of £10, for a bit of useless tat, and was truly amazed at just how good it is.

Ten years on and I have 3 now, one for water, one for diesel and one for cider making.

The original is still jiggling away as good as the day it was bought and I have never spilt a drop of diesel.

Maybe. That's not how the secure connections to the server work though. I'm afraid I don't understand the technical details, the guy who wrote the operating system for the server does. You can take it up with him if you like Zybert Computing

He'll know how to do if they were asked. It's only one solution and would work, but they would be different solutions depended on your network, servers and what and how things need to be accessed.

These damp detectors that have saved me considerable time and money..

Under the bed with the calorifier and in near the water pump.

The battery will last well over a year.

The best tenner you will ever spend !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLOOD-ALERT-WATER-DETECTOR-ALARM-FREE-battery-incl-/170576464906?pt=UK_Safety_Alarms&hash=item27b7264c0a

You've just sold me on it!

If that's not possible, the iPad app called iSSH has tunnelling for VNC, so you could use that (you need to install VNC server on the Linux server as well as any desktop apps like firefox if you need a browser)

Only on this forum would people be discussing jiggle syphons and SSH in the same thread. Amazing :)

works exactly like it says...jiggle the copper and glass marble valve end in the diesel and it auto syphons within seconds. .......and a year ago Id never have believed I could get so excited about a jiggle syphon!

Darn .... just when I though all the expense of Christmas was over I've now "had" to blow £4.85 on a jiggle siphon (erm, well three actually; one for me, one for OH and a spare *cough* and besides it makes the P&P less, well, sort of) ... thanks !

The person at the IWA national was telling people they could empty their bilge with it, they didn't say where you could empty it to :wacko: