How Old are You?

davidk65

Featured Posts

I took early retirement 3 years ago at the age of 53 so I could cruise the canals as much as I want (after many years frustration as work kept getting in the way of my boating plans).

The company agreed to pay my pension from age 55 so I'm laughing. I have fun going in all the places that offer pensioners discounts (pubs, museums, etc), and asking for the discount on the basis that I am a pensioner. I don't try it at places that advertise OAP discounts as I'm not an OAP. I find I get a success rate of about 75% which is great.

Most things on the canals are no quicker if you hurry them. It's not about strength, it's about learning the knack of how to do things without effort. Lock gates for example will open when they are ready, and trying to hurry them just makes you more tired - so as the years advance, you learn how to be patient and enjoy the scenery until the water is properly level.

Allan

Age is a state of mind.... OK, it's a smokescreen, I've just turned 48, but there must have been a mistake somewhere!

I'm a 29 year old pensioner at heart. Which category do I fit into then!?

I can just about afford a boat, can just about operate it, but don't get enough time to use it - work keeps getting in the way ;o) Either I'm in the wrong era, or something has seriously gone wrong along the way, 'cus I'm also restoring a 1933 Christie cinema organ.

ttbfn,

Chris.

Like I said before, 47. But if I reach 49 I'm sticking there and modifying my date of birth each year.

But in any case, I read on a car sticker somewhere, "growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional"

Ade.

PS: Fuzzyduck, think you need to check your definitions, bordering on fetish perhaps, but nothing perverted there whatsoever.

Your health is just as important as your age. I`m 62 and fit & well going swimming & the gym (need to lose weight) but John is 54 and in poor health & smokes 60 cigarettes a day. Although I`m older than him I can do more physical work than him.

Well I am 45 and my life definately began at 40!

I work in a large office environment where the average age is I suspect around 25 and when I started working there they treated me with some suspision but most of the youngsters are constantly surprised that I seem to do stuff that they do not expect a woman of my age to even consider.

My daugher has is taking me to see 'The Darkness' as an early mothers day pressie next month and the guys at work were totally amazed that I even knew who they were! Of course when I then told them who else I had seen in the past (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Coldplay. Texas, Davis Gray, Muse, Ronan Keating, Blue ... etc etc...) they started to realise that life does not stop at 30!

Oh Allie.... that dirt biking certainly looks like fun and is something I do intend to try one day. For now I will stick with my road bike and my leathers! definately no pin up but blonde and leather clad yes ... and after all when I have my crash helmet on who can tell?

As for the likes of Moley and Fuzzyduck.... you are going to have to avert your eyes ....

bike009.jpg

oh.... the bike is affectionatly called 'BJ' which is short for the Bohemian Jewel !

Edited by cheshire~rose

Well I am 45 and my life definately began at 40!

I work in a large office environment where the average age is I suspect around 25 and when I started working there they treated me with some suspision but most of the youngsters are constantly surprised that I seem to do stuff that they do not expect a woman of my age to even consider.

My daugher has is taking me to see 'The Darkness' as an early mothers day pressie next month and the guys at work were totally amazed that I even knew who they were! Of course when I then told them who else I had seen in the past (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Coldplay. Texas, Davis Gray, Muse, Ronan Keating, Blue ... etc etc...) they started to realise that life does not stop at 30!

Oh Allie.... that dirt biking certainly looks like fun and is something I do intend to try one day. For now I will stick with my road bike and my leathers! definately no pin up but blonde and leather clad yes ... and after all when I have my crash helmet on who can tell?

As for the likes of Moley and Fuzzyduck.... you are going to have to avert your eyes ....

oh.... the bike is affectionatly called 'BJ' which is short for the Bohemian Jewel !

Whoa Tonto! Who is the cool babe in the buckskin.

Hubba! Hubba! :rolleyes: Kemosarbe!

Edited by Maffi

I'm 45, been on boats of varying sorts since I was 13. Ellen's 17 tomorrow (aah!) and has been on board (even lashed on) since she was 3.

Jill

and happy birthday to Ellen..... 17 is a magical age - I hated it of course, but 17 these days seems to be freedom, air and destiny.

and happy birthday to Ellen..... 17 is a magical age - I hated it of course, but 17 these days seems to be freedom, air and destiny.

me thinks age makes no difference. I have seen my crew (hahaha - i have mentioned them before) who are 17 and 35 and they are HOPELESS! They can barely concentrate for 30seconds, one of them is too busy falling in, and the other is too busy thinking 'opooh this is pretty I'll just pop down here'. This is always when it comes to locks and I usually end up on the other side of the bank in a bed of reeds which causes them much hilarity. As far as I am concerned all one needs is a sense of humour, no concept of rushing, and if you can't do it yourself you have to be patient and wait for someone who walks by that can.

Didn't realise this had turned into a lady biker in leathers site....

:angry:

I am in the mid thirties bracket and have been boating since I was 8. Mrs Webchem is early thirties, has not motor bike or leathers (!!). Two Miss Webchems have been boating since 18 months (6 year old) and 5 weeks (2 and a half) respectively.

As lots of chappies have said, age is irrelevant, its as old as you are, though there is definately a relationship between age and ability to buy a boat/pretend you own the waterways. Looks like we will be hiring for a few years yet, still there is always shared ownership (shiver).

A member made a very interesting point about costs of boats. Even in the 5 - 6 years that I have been avidly reading the Canal Mags, the cost of a new boat has increased drammatically. When was the last time a 58 - 60 foot boat was reviewed for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids? A dead simple layout going from the stern, 2 singles, shower room, fixed double (maybe second loo), galley and dinette that converts? Nothing complex, no dishwasher/bow thruster (dream on), maybe a small inverter to power small electrical items. I cannot remember the last time someone reviewed a new boat with these specs - probably because there is little need.

Maybe we could start one of those survey thingies, find out age profile of site. The 17 year olds I took 3 years ago have just booked for their 3rd holiday as a group - HURRAY! So watch out for a bunch of 19 - 20 year olds on a mission round the Rugby area this summer.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Webchem

:rolleyes: I love that picture. If those youngsters only knew what fun we are having in our "old age!"

Allie

On age and bikes and boats:

Some people I meet while out with my motorbike anoyingly ask me if it's a midlife crisis thing (getting a bike in my forties) and I have to explain that I've have ridden motorbikes since my teens. I've only been narrowboating for the last couple of years (in my forties) but nobody asks if it's a "midlife crisis thing" Why? Is narrowboat ownership perceived only as an activity of the old or middle-aged?

Noah

1: Why do people class blondes and Irish people as stupid

2: Why do people think men should go to work and women stay at home.

3: Why do people think that all teenagers are yobs

4: Why do people think OAP's are grumpy

All of the above are stereotypical views and are also very incorrect. I think it's a case of majority. More older people have boats so class it as an older thing to do but I know it's not :rolleyes: