BCN Challenge

dove

Featured Posts

I am in possesion of two nice mooring stakes left behind at Bentley Bridge by a possible contender in the BCN Challenge. They are silver in colour and well made. A fisherman handed them to us. If the owner is out there please get in touch and describe them. they are on "Barnet" and will be at the Pelsall event this weekend.

So who is the top 3 then I wonder. What was your points total?

We got 475 points

I do know the top three, but I thought I'd let them find out for themselves

Richard

Results for Tawny Owl are in. We came fourth!

We're getting worse :blink:

Richard

I shall have to leave most of the crew behind next time, and ballast Tawny Owl down well

4th ain't bad :cheers:

We may need to revise our strategy...... I'm thinking replace the BMC for a gas turbine......... Hydroplanes......... Some form of system for stepping over locks......

Set the geeks on to it :lol:

Glad you liked the pictures. I think Kershez came Monday but I might be wrong.

:)

She's a challenge boat, and was at the end of the queue on the arm last time I saw her. We helped her up Perry Barr in 2009*

Richard

*she was getting in the way, so we accelerated her progress a bit - including filling the top part of the flight

Team Odana came 8th, at 426 points. Apparently 6th to 8th was a mere handful of points - Cap'n Nicki should have been more alert when deciding directions late afternoon. Next year, next year....

Oh, and I volunteered the Cat to Graham as chief IT and mapping expert for route-planning and marketing next year. Sorry Cat - will buy you a beer tomorrows. but we want more than 26 boats doing this - it's fun and it's needed!

Oh, and I volunteered the Cat to Graham as chief IT and mapping expert for route-planning and marketing next year. Sorry Cat - will buy you a beer tomorrows. but we want more than 26 boats doing this - it's fun and it's needed!

Dear lord, I'd already spammed a couple of Birmingham illuminati in the hope of generating a bit of publicity*, I didn't realize I was officially on the team! I want an enamel badge.

*it sometimes works - a schoolfriend of mine who was a little eccentric, shall we say, sparked up a correspondence with Dirk Bogarde. Initially on the seemingly tenuous grounds that he had scaled a mill chimbley in Blackburn during his national service.

Following on from the (constructive) criticism received and the fact that the rules have changed somewhat rendering the old planner obsolete - I've re-vamped it for 2011. You can now adjust your estimated speed and the length of time taken to negotiate a lock depending on whether you're a slacker or a speedy Gonzalez. The map has been simplified in a tube stylee and I've taken other opportunites to jazz it up as well. Because that's what I do. I have no friends...

New Improved BCN planner

You'll need a big screen to see it all, mind.

Well, just to prove you can do locks in less than 6 minutes:

:cheers:

Mike

Well, if you are going to do it all wrong I suppose. You didn't close up the first lock, pull into the side and tie off three ropes before starting to set the next lock. Then you didn't tie off three ropes to the three bollards before descending. Then you left the ground paddles open when you opened the bottom gates!

Honestly, I've seen all of those things done regularly, so you (and I) must be doing it wrong :P You didn't even have your fenders down

Richard

Those BCN engineers certainly knew how to build an efficient lock

Well, if you are going to do it all wrong I suppose. You didn't close up the first lock, pull into the side and tie off three ropes before starting to set the next lock. Then you didn't tie off three ropes to the three bollards before descending. Then you left the ground paddles open when you opened the bottom gates!

Honestly, I've seen all of those things done regularly, so you (and I) must be doing it wrong :P You didn't even have your fenders down

Richard

Those BCN engineers certainly knew how to build an efficient lock

You should have seen them when they had gate paddles...

although as I regard 45 minutes as the norm for farmers bridge, assuming we don't meet anyone, aren't we nearer a 3 minute lock?

You should have seen them when they had gate paddles...

although as I regard 45 minutes as the norm for farmers bridge, assuming we don't meet anyone, aren't we nearer a 3 minute lock?

That was the slowest lock on the flight due to the angle, and our man wasn't going into them real quick either. I normally have water over the edge as I enter a narrow lock! :o

Mike

Well, just to prove you can do locks in less than 6 minutes:

:cheers:

Mike

You think thats quick! Gone now but the first flight on the Bentley at Wednesfield were awesome fast, also they had channels which automaticly closed the lower gates when going downhill when you drew a paddle, you could be through one in around 3 - 4 minutes, they had huge paddles and you boat went down really quick. Coming up was rather a wetting experience if in the bow!