BCN Challenge

dove

Featured Posts

Copied below are the details,

Andrew

BCNS MARATHON CHALLENGE 2011

Boat Entry Form

The BCN Challenge will take place on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th May 2011, starting at 8am on

Saturday and finishing at 2pm on the Sunday. The event is open to everyone with a boat licensed for

use on British Waterways canals. Historic working boats and pairs are welcome.

Boats may start at any point on the BCN but should finish at Walsall Town Arm. (See rules for further details) Participants may navigate for as long as they like during the 30 hour period up to a maximum of 24 hours.

The winner will be the boat crew who amass the greatest number of points during the challenge.

Additional points will be awarded for navigating lesser used waterways and there will be bonus points

for correctly answered questions at certain places.

All boat entries will receive a commemorative plaque and the winning boat crew will also receive a shield.

The winners will be announced at the Canal Festival, Pelsall on Saturday 11th June 2011.

There will be an entry fee of £15 per boat which includes the commemorative plaque.

The entry fee for a working pair will also be £15.

The entry fee will include 12 months membership of the BCNS for those entrants who have never been members of the Society. (Applies to team leader only)

Please send completed application forms, together with the entry fee to:

Mr R Kenn, 14 Hollemeadow Avenue, Walsall, West Midlands, WS3 1JQ. Telephone: 01922 428644

You will then be sent the Entry Pack which includes route planning sheets, the rules of the Marathon Challenge and a sealed envelope containing the cruising log for use during the challenge.

Entry Details

Boat Name(s) & BW No.(s): Length (ft):

Team Leader:

Address:

Post Code: Telephone:

Mobile Phone (Mandatory):

____________________________________________________________________________________

BCNS Use Only:

Entry Fee Received on: Amount: £

Entry Pack Sent on (Date):

Team Dog House could be there but needs to research a bit more of what's involved.... :unsure:

Not wanting to put you off but, we've been round the BCN a few times this year, this is one trip and may be the worst.

http://nbdove.blogspot.com/2010/07/more-adventures.html

The more boats that do it, the easier it gets. If you get stuck there's allways another boat to help.

Edited by dove

Not wanting to put you off but, we've been round the BCN a few times this year, this is one trip and may be the worst.

http://nbdove.blogspot.com/2010/07/more-adventures.html

The more boats that do it, the easier it gets. If you get stuck there's allways another boat to help.

Mmmmm.......indeed looks a bit ambitious to me.

Team Dog House has decided to take an very early bath.

Edited by MJG

Mmmmm.......indeed looks a bit ambitious to me.

Team Dog House has decided to take an very early bath.

Coward!

If you take an ex-working boat with an enormous draft, the BCN can be challenging.

If you take an ex-working boat like Tawny Owl that floats on a wet rag, it's easy

Richard

Coward!

If you take an ex-working boat with an enormous draft, the BCN can be challenging.

If you take an ex-working boat like Tawny Owl that floats on a wet rag, it's easy

Richard

OK then

What would you say would be a good/optimum crew size????

I Don't think It's Jan's sort of boating so she might not be up for it - I could muster possibly me and possibly 2-3 other scurvy sea dogs, plus boat dog Dennis.

Edit so it made sense.

Edited by MJG

OK then

What would you say would be a good/optimum crew size????

I Don't think It's Jan's sort of boating so she might not be up for it - I could muster possibly me and possibly 2-3 other scurvy sea dogs, plus boat dog Dennis.

Edit so it made sense.

That's enough crew, probably too many for a really serious attempt as you lose points the more you have.

There are different ways of playing the BCN challenge. My team of tame geeks are already clamouring for the rules so they can write an optimisation program to work out the most competitive route (they really ought to get out more) - they are very competitive. I'll probably veto some routes because there are bits of the BCN I like to cruise - I'm moderately competitive. At the other end, if you wanted to do the new main line, old main line, and Wyrley and Essington, you can make quite a pleasant weekend of it and not get stuck. You're not going to win, but you will have a very interesting time.

Richard

Excellent, lets do it!

- I might tag into whatever the YWBS are doing as im sure there will be an entry.

- However failing that, and time/boat dependent, whats the bonus for a steamboat?

Daniel

Work dependant, if you need an extra pair of hands, I could be available!

Edit for numpty fingers!!

Edited by stagedamager

Well Team Tawny Owl's not going to come in last then. You lot can't get past ANY pub without stopping for hours. :P

Oi! Cheeky. If John's not there to insist on making us lavish meals I can get away with driving the crew till the last scrap of daylight is gone and waking us all up in the wee hours. Wanna join, now Tawny Owl has trained you to bowhaul?

Shame its this late may weekend... if was the earlier may bank holiday (and easter on the front bit) I'd be tempted so drag Lincoln along (mind you her depth might provve a challenge) but we would struggle time line wise.. but sounds like a good way to see the bcn.