Storage tips and advice

Rufio197

Featured Posts

Would anybody care to share there ingenious storage solutions with me?

My Girlfriend is a compulsive horder, yet we managed to strip down our stuff by about 75% prior to living afloat and we really only have essentials and 1 or 2 luxeries left, but i am still looking for better ways to improve the existing storage space.

We are already going to have a bed fitted high up to create space underneath and we are also considering buying a sofa with built in storage (anyone know where we could get these?). Are there any other common solutions which I have not thought of?

It's Storageville Tennessee round my way!

I've got full length wardrobes built into the boat with a rail to hang clothes on. I've cut a shelf to fit a couple of inches above this rail which still gives enough room to lift the hangers on and off the rail, but gives extra storage space above for boots.

Plus I have CD racks that look like drawers but they flip out on a pivot. Although some of these contain CDs and DVDs, shoes fit in there nicely too!

I've also made a storage space for DIY tools in the void under the bath (behind the bath panel).

And I use the oven to store saucepans. Plus above the cooker on the wall is a rail and hooks where I hang the remaining saucepans.

The glasses are all stored on a wall-mounted rack in the galley, freeing up cupboard space (and they look nice there too)

There's a small shelving unit with built-in kitchen roll holder screwed to the inside of the door of the cupboard under the sink which holds rolls of bin bags and kitchen towel and freezer bags (bought that shelving unit from Ebay for 99p!)

The void under the dinette seating houses the water pump - and cans of paint and board games fit in there too!

And a couple of wall-mounted shelves in the bedroom have cup hooks screwed into the side on which I hang necklaces and breacelets.

The indoor steps at the front and back doors are like glorified ladders really and have space underneath. I keep lidded baskets under those which contain useful bits and pieces.

And the "Cupboard That Must Not Be Opened" which used to be a second WC has every wall covered in shelving and coat hooks to keep as much off the floor as possible.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

... And the "Cupboard That Must Not Be Opened" which used to be a second WC has every wall covered in shelving and coat hooks to keep as much off the floor as possible.

I guess you could put more shoes in there :lol:

Tony

My spare blankets and pillows are stored in cushion covers rather than using cushion pads to fill them.(I got large ones from Ikea sale section and normal sized scatter cushions).

We have a false ceiling above our bed as well for extra storage. Out of season clothes go in vacuum pack bags under the bed.

I guess you could put more shoes in there :lol:

Tony

Oh no, it's got too many scary spiders in there for shoes. The rest of the shoes are at the foot of the bed... or on the floor under the cocktail breakfast bar, or in the way of the door, or under the desk at work...

My spare blankets and pillows are stored in cushion covers rather than using cushion pads to fill them.(I got large ones from Ikea sale section and normal sized scatter cushions).

We have a false ceiling above our bed as well for extra storage. Out of season clothes go in vacuum pack bags under the bed.

The cushion cover blanket idea is great. I have other cushion covers and other cushions inside my cushion covers - so an uber-plump cushion can become a couple of thinner guest pillows if need be. Or if I fancy a change of colour the cream cushion cover unzips to reveal the black cushion inside, then the cream cover gets stuffed inside the black cover too.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I regularly raid the Lidl stores for their blue plastic trays they have some produce delivered in. Use these in my food cupboards - it means that I can easily get to the back of a cupboard by simply sliding a tray out, - they also stack on top of each other - so I don't waste the height of a cupboard either

I have cheapo large Tupperware type tubs from supermarkets, minus the lid, which I store bottles and jars in, and some for pasta and rice, (in other words, potentially spilly stuff) inside my food cupboards. Like yours, they slide out easily to access the nosh inside - which is useful when the cupboard is at floor level.

The space under pretty much anything is storage space. Wine/big bowls/old jars etc under kitchen plints, plastic bags/shoes/windlasses in kitchen steps, other boaty kit under sofabed, many lesser used reference books in the crevices at back of desk. And the bed has slidy out plastic boxes which work as drawers for current clothing - behind that is 'deep storage' for things I can't throw but rarely need (and which John rolls his eyes at - or would if he had any idea of full extent of the crap under there). Coal box and associated fire stuff are built into a section at the edge of the desk.

I like the tool storage inside bath idea - I just have rockwool in there. Will redesign immediately!

Who is it who has their wine cellar in the cabin bilge?

I like the tool storage inside bath idea - I just have rockwool in there. Will redesign immediately!

Who is it who has their wine cellar in the cabin bilge?

If your bath is acrylic - then one can not only store stuff in the void - but a couple of critically sited LED's can introduce 'mood lighting' that will shine through the bath / bath-water / and around recumbent bather too :lol:

I use the cabin bilge to chill beer cans and white wine . . . .

Red wine (which normally has a very short life !) is stored in the galley

I'm way too excited about this thread. Storage is cool.

I get more exited when I go to the council tip to get rid of large items of junk. I have a family of hoarders ........

I get more exited when I go to the council tip to get rid of large items of junk. I have a family of hoarders ........

My family usually come back from the tip with something they've acquired

Richard