Anderton lift / river Weaver

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Hi..

Please excuse my ignorance here....

What is the procedure for the lift...and the river ?

My wife said ' I can't see any winding points...how will we turn ?'

I assume the river is wide enough that you can turn anywhere ?

Does it need 'booking' ?

Do I need anchor out etc as per Thames .....is there a flow ?

Do we retrace our steps back through the lift and then back through Chester etc ?

Thanks.

Bob

There is masses of turning space above the lift, and enough to turn a small ship below it!

You don't need to book, although BW encourage you to do so, as about half the available passages are pre-allocated to the trip boats.

We did book, and I think they charge around £5 or £10 each way as booking fee. In practice, (August) we both went down and came back up ahead of the slots we were booked into.

It's really not that busy, generally, so you could probably avoid those booking fees.

It's a big river, with big locks, and big weirs, but very little flow when we did it.

I'd have an anchor available, but can't see you needing it.

I couldn't endure the embarrassment of being the only one in a life-jacket, so didn't bother with that.

Unless it gets a lot livelier when we were there, there is not much to worry about, other than remembering the locks are only open when keepers are on duty.

And yes, you come back up the lift to get to Chester, unless you want to jump through the hoops to go down the Ship Canal (safety certificate, ropes, anchor, fee and so on)

Richard

Just search for Anderton Lift http://www.andertonboatlift.co.uk/BoatersA...atersarea.html#

Easy! Ample room to wind above, and below on the river.

Derek

SNAP!

Usual routine with a full-length boat coming from the Preston Brook direction was to reverse into the lift, likewise going in at the bottom, reverse in for going North when you come out unless wind etc on the river made that awkward to do.

I've never used the lift since it reopened, probably find that would totally confuse the operators now :lol:

Tim

You can book, but if you give them a call and ask whats booked on the days you are interested in you can see how busy it is and decide to spend the £5, but I would to give you peace of mind. The booking office is at the top but you go down past the staff car park below the shop ie dont go into the shop and display level to get to it

Charles

Usual routine with a full-length boat coming from the Preston Brook direction was to reverse into the lift, likewise going in at the bottom, reverse in for going North when you come out unless wind etc on the river made that awkward to do.

I've never used the lift since it reopened, probably find that would totally confuse the operators now :lol:

Tim

Touch wood the operators seem to be very good. Certainly there are are at least two who know what they are on about (and didn't make me stop the engine as is usual precedure - edit: well usual these days anyway!).

I didn't have an anchor but probably should have.

You can book but even at the height of the season you should never have to wait more than an hour or so - providing the lift is open that is.

You can turn a 70ft boat along almost the whole length or the river without an trouble at all.

Edited by Speedwheel

The Weaver is faberoonie. We went down for the weekend, last weekend. We went down with another boat Sat 9.30 and came up sun 2.30. we were supposed to be meeting up with another two boats and travel up to Vale Royal for sat night for a shindig. However the other two boats were below Salterford lock and are stuck there with the lock being busted.

Instead we ran up to hunts lock and then Vale Royal where we jumped off for a nose and then went back down to Saltersford lock to meet our friends. We had a great time.

You can spin the boats round anywhere the River is deep and wide. Its is pretty with lots of wildlife. Its not busy at all.

We dont have lifejackets and forgot to take the anchor (whoops) but you dont actually have to have either. I think it is recommended.

The river is flowing and a few years ago in the summer my Mum and Dad were on it and had to be tied up by BW until the river flow was slower. They said big trees were flowing past!

I cant wait to go again.

Have fun

Hi..

Please excuse my ignorance here....

What is the procedure for the lift...and the river ?

My wife said ' I can't see any winding points...how will we turn ?'

I assume the river is wide enough that you can turn anywhere ?

Does it need 'booking' ?

Do I need anchor out etc as per Thames .....is there a flow ?

Do we retrace our steps back through the lift and then back through Chester etc ?

Thanks.

Bob

We were on the Weaver back in April, didn't need to book then but may be busier now.

You can easily turn as it's wide & DEEP!!

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-river...-weaver/boating

Locks are operated by staff & they are BIG, some nice moorings but staff will advise you as they are so helpful.

You will be given an info book when at the Anderton Lift which is useful.

We had an anchor onboard not sure if it's mandatory.

Yes once you've had enough on the Weaver come back up the lift, they will tell you to ring them to see how busy it is if you don't want to pay/book a passage & just turn up & wait.

There is masses of turning space above the lift, and enough to turn a small ship below it!

You don't need to book, although BW encourage you to do so, as about half the available passages are pre-allocated to the trip boats.

We did book, and I think they charge around £5 or £10 each way as booking fee. In practice, (August) we both went down and came back up ahead of the slots we were booked into.

It's really not that busy, generally, so you could probably avoid those booking fees.

It's a big river, with big locks, and big weirs, but very little flow when we did it.

I'd have an anchor available, but can't see you needing it.

I couldn't endure the embarrassment of being the only one in a life-jacket, so didn't bother with that.

Unless it gets a lot livelier when we were there, there is not much to worry about, other than remembering the locks are only open when keepers are on duty.

:lol:

Its a lot better to look uncool with a lifejacket on than DEAD if u knock yourself out and dont have one one. I always wear a lifejacket on rivers and I find most experienced boaters do the same...........

Whenever I go down on the Weaver I don't wear a life jacket.

The only time I have worn one was on the Manchester Ship Canal and on the Ribble going into Preston Dock from the Rufford branch of the L&L.

The only time I have worn one was on the Manchester Ship Canal and on the Ribble going into Preston Dock from the Rufford branch of the L&L.

I would probably wear one if boating single handed on the Weaver, but certainly didn't when I was your age or younger, when it was quite a regular event running empty with a trip boat. Mind you, the modern inflating jacket didn't exist (at least for ordinary mortals) at that time, life jackets were a major inconvenience to wear.

Tim

Why is that then ? Can you breath the water of rhe river weaver ?

Not without my snorkle!

There's no difference between the River Weaver and the Shropshire Union or the Macclesfield Canals if you hit your head and fall in, you're still going to get dead.

Not without my snorkle!

There's no difference between the River Weaver and the Shropshire Union or the Macclesfield Canals if you hit your head and fall in, you're still going to get dead.

The difference is that you can't walk to the bank on the Weaver (generally)

Tim

Its a lot better to look uncool with a lifejacket on than DEAD if u knock yourself out and dont have one one. I always wear a lifejacket on rivers and I find most experienced boaters do the same...........

My wife and I can both swim....but...we ALWAYS put them on just before locking. Figure if you hit your head you may stand a chance and it may bridge the gap if you fall in and the boat moves towards you.

Bob...whi lives in hope.

Not on a canal either if you're unconscious.

No, but being unconscious in the water isn't the only possible scenario.

Also an automatic lifejacket should in theory get you in a position where you can breathe, even if unconscious.

Tim