Found myself afloat and out of work

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

I hate to say it but I sometimes wonder why the Sixties Hippy movement doesn't make a comeback. Not so much the drugs and "tune in, turn on, drop out" philosophy but the rebellious attitude to the system young people had back then. The trouble is the system just isn't working for people since the mid nineties. You're supposed to study hard, work your butt off and then get some kind of stability, buy a house, raise a family and so on. Yet we all work our butts off and wind up with temporary contracts, shady, crooked companies and often reduced wages. :lol: I have scores of friends who are qualified to their ears yet doing ten a penny jobs. Is it just me I wonder who takes the view that when you work hard you should get something out of all that work? :lol:

True, thanks to the hours I put in over the last decade I bought a boat outright but since the nineties it seems as if things are going from bad to worse. I mean, in the sixties kids could at least get a job and they were still dropping out. What would they think of modern times where people are supposed to work till they're close to the knackers yard for a reduced pension?

Maybe the global economy will bounce back but for now it's all looking a bit rough.

These things are way more important than being tired and unhappy at work.

Since word got round that I'm leaving my job, I've discovered several other also leaving for the same reasons as me. And a few who will leave as soon as they can find another job and arfe actively applying for work now. (I've offered my services as a reference to some of them!)

Let's not worry about the global economy. Politicians have been b*ggering about with what we can and can't have for centuries. Meanwhile we get on with life and make the most of our little lot, irrelevant of what the governments are up to.

If we spend too long pondering on global economies, and unemployment rates, and how life used to be; we'd be very depressed and never see the good opportunities that appear.

Onwards and upwards, I say.

What qualifications do you need, for that and are there prospects for promotion to, say, dangling from a string?

Why not set you sights higher than even that?

Swinging from a lanyard maybe?

Or hanged by a noose?

How's about suspended by the nadgers?

What I do get a lot is people seem to assume that because I live on a boat I've really hit hard times so to speak. Even the police were baffled when they dropped by after there was a few boat break ins. "Do you really live here?", one officer asked, scratching his head.

Others have predicted I'll never survive another Winter like the last one.

We get kids up here pointing and laughing at us, implying that we are poor and have no choice - 'haha! Living on a boat!'. Somewhere on flickr there is a picture of our marina - the comments read, 'how awful, how can people live like that?'

When we explain that it is our choice to live simply and we are happy working self employed for less money, they just don't seem to get it. I don't want to spend my life flogging myself to death to pay a huge London mortgage and I'm not interesting in owning a big telly or an ipad.

We get kids up here pointing and laughing at us, implying that we are poor and have no choice - 'haha! Living on a boat!'. Somewhere on flickr there is a picture of our marina - the comments read, 'how awful, how can people live like that?'

When we explain that it is our choice to live simply and we are happy working self employed for less money, they just don't seem to get it. I don't want to spend my life flogging myself to death to pay a huge London mortgage and I'm not interesting in owning a big telly or an ipad.

Its funny but we have exactly the opposite. The visitors to our marina look over from the bar or the balcony of the chinese and comment on how rich we (boat owners) must be. They fail to realise that we are all drinking and eating aboard our boats because it is cheaper and we cant afford the prices in the bar or the restaraunt :lol:

I once had a gongoozler say "bet they haven't paid a day's tax in their lives" - which fortunately for them my brother overheard and regailed to me later, not at the time. I was so cross - the salary I was on I probably paid more tax than they did. B*stards.

I've been dangling for 8 months now on full pay not daring to breath while my job hangs by a thread. The problem is I'm not allowed to discuss the details with anyone not involved let alone post them on a public forum. :lol:

Still at least I can keep saving towards my own boat in the meantime :lol:

Anyone in the London area need a casual crewmember? I work for tea and biscuits! :lol:

I really dig watching lieutenant Columbo on my DVD as I too go about often in virtual rags and am absent minded. Columbo drives a knackered car and I pedal a pushbike to get around. If I was going out for some occasion I'd dress up but for dog-walking and engine work and so on my old rags have to do.

As for the boat, people really think I'm down and out. It's not understood I have an actual interest in boats and enjoy living on one.

• 1 month later...

You've already stolen my USP!

I can piss around with data really well, and turn it into really, really pretty pictures. And I'm pretty mean with an angle grinder.

Erm, do we could....

We could....

Thinking cap on!

But I'm guessing the "favour" bit of Grace & Favour could open a few doors for us :lol:

And I will do your company books?

I work in local government and am still waiting to hear if I come under the title of "25% cuts" dry.gif and apparently there will be no redundancy pay if you are.............

Can they do that? I thought there are regulations covering redundancy pay or have they been scrapped? I hope not cos my job don't look too good, I better do some research.

Such bad luck and we wish you well - have you thought about selling your skills as many people do now via the net.

Maybe have a look at slivers of time web site.

Slivers is not the only site - there are quite a few sites where people sell thir skills ranging from word processing to personal security (hourly rates or half day rates or even full day rates)

Maybe other forum members know of other sites?

Good luck and hope things work out.

Tim

Can they do that? I thought there are regulations covering redundancy pay or have they been scrapped? I hope not cos my job don't look too good, I better do some research.

There is a statutory redundancy based on age and number of years service, and a state scheme for a minimum payment if the employer goes under and is unable to pay Statutory Redundancy. Noises coming from the Coalition are that they are not going to make enhanced payments as may have been done in the past.

There is a statutory redundancy based on age and number of years service, and a state scheme for a minimum payment if the employer goes under and is unable to pay Statutory Redundancy. Noises coming from the Coalition are that they are not going to make enhanced payments as may have been done in the past.

It is much less generous than I seem to remember it used to be, as it is capped to a maximum wage of £380pw which is used in the calculation.

"The calculation for your statutory redundancy pay is based on:

* how long you have been continuously employed

* your age

* your weekly pay, up to a certain limit (£380 current maximum)

You will get:

* 0.5 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was under 22

* 1 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was 22 or above, but under 41

* 1.5 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was 41 or above"

Full details here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_174330

As someone else commented some employers used to voluntarily pay more than this, often to get people to go voluntarily, but that seems to be going out of fashion.

I work in local government and am still waiting to hear if I come under the title of "25% cuts" dry.gif and apparently there will be no redundancy pay if you are.............

I think after 2 years employment they have to pay redundancy, mind you it is not much seem to remember 1 week for every years service up to a maximum.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... WotNiceFortuLemonAngeCheesenFavourPudding?

I dabble with leccy stuff (mains as well as 12V), mechanics (I lent Paul my big hammer but I have others), woodwork (lots of tools and just enough knowledge to do damage), and bouncing off other boats.

Tony :lol:

ok, this is sounding like a Chinese Cake Shop business.... WhatNiceFortuneCookies+LemonAndCheeseFlavourPudding ?

Been reading this thread and enjoyed all the black humour, I know what it's like to feel the chop, it was a bit rough at times in 70's/80's Gladly now retired. Just wanted to say good luck to all and dont get despondent because as I found new doors open eventually

Phil

This seems to be a near universal situation. I keep meeting people on boats who work a bit here and a bit there or simply have work related issues. Some have trade skills and others good academic qualifications. It varies.

What I do get a lot is people seem to assume that because I live on a boat I've really hit hard times so to speak. Even the police were baffled when they dropped by after there was a few boat break ins. "Do you really live here?", one officer asked, scratching his head.

Others have predicted I'll never survive another Winter like the last one.

Meantime, I still haven't figured out a business scheme but the closest I can get is buying and selling bikes such as MTB and BMX. Also, perhaps a bit of teaching thrown in.

Still, I don't worry. It's nice not to be doing night shifts, never sleeping properly by day and so forth. I also spend more time with my German Shepherd dog companion as we've always been the best of mates. Needless to say he enjoys the extra attention.

You may have something with the bikes. Our Marina is just a mile away from the centre of a small village and we are blessed with a charcter known as "The Bike Doctor" He is a retired chap who supplements his pension by buying and doing up bikes. He fits new tyres ensures they are mechanically sound and sells them from his gate. He also does repairs, mend punctures, adjusts brakes etc etc. Very reasonable prices, cheap enough for people not to bother doing stuff themselves, I myself bought a nice MTB recently new tyres,good brakes, just right for popping upto the village for a paper or whatever, cost me £45-00, bargain.

Good luck

Phil

Let's just say I'm disappointed the S.I.A. wasn't scrapped. That organization lost all my existing I.D. I also think it's scandalous to ask people in security to pay for licenses and courses to stay in a job. I don't think I'd touch security again with a 10 foot barge pole althougb before the S.I.A mess it was a good earner. If you think B.W. are bad, you should try dealing with the S.I.A. I found it's pretty impossible to contact them and they lose all your personal documents. I mean, I found many other folks had had stuff disappear as well.

Just a thought, picking up on the security work, if you're SIA registered etc. there may be something for you around the Olympic site, both now and during the games, and it is accessible by water.

I won my case and did get a payout. It was set to go to a tribunal but my ex employers opted to settle via ACAS. I accepted a modest offer because it was more about principle and I felt the point had been made. So, it was a few hundred pounds and time to move on.

The situation as it stands is I'm living on my boat and working on the two boats I have. I'm also looking after the German Shepherd dog (far better I think than in the past as there is more free time). In fact, the dog is more than happy with these changes. No luck, however, finding work. The last job I applied for attracted 200 applicants and that was only casual work in a theatre, as and when required.

Winning the redundancy payout was something positive but I think by Christmas I need to start pulling in some money. It does look more and more like it's going to have to be self employment.

I think after 2 years employment they have to pay redundancy, mind you it is not much seem to remember 1 week for every years service up to a maximum.