Mascerator toilet 2

Water Woman

Featured Posts

:lol: My mascarator is flushing it all away, liquids and solids no problem (there have been a million problems at different times, I know the inside of that toilet better than I know the back of my hand) but what is happening this time is that the liquid is coming back. After a while there is a bubbling and a gurgling and the next thing you know the bowl is half full of.... well, nasty water. I have worked out that if you don't leave anything at all in the bowl (water/pee etc) it is much less likely to do it. Is it the one way valve maybe? The boat is on the move over the next few days without me and once I get to my new home I will have to strip it down yet again and have a good look. But does anyone have any ideas? I love my mascerator until it all hits the fan. cheers.

:lol: My mascarator is flushing it all away, liquids and solids no problem (there have been a million problems at different times, I know the inside of that toilet better than I know the back of my hand) but what is happening this time is that the liquid is coming back. After a while there is a bubbling and a gurgling and the next thing you know the bowl is half full of.... well, nasty water. I have worked out that if you don't leave anything at all in the bowl (water/pee etc) it is much less likely to do it. Is it the one way valve maybe? The boat is on the move over the next few days without me and once I get to my new home I will have to strip it down yet again and have a good look. But does anyone have any ideas? I love my mascerator until it all hits the fan. cheers.

I wonder if the holding tank breather outlet is partially blocked ? This might be allowing some pressure to remain in the tank side of the one way valve and allowing a pipefull to be leaked back into the toilet bowl.. We have an air filter on the breather outlet of ours, which I can envisage will get clogged one day :lol:

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Maybe the tank vent is blocked so that it's being pressurized and forcing "stuff" back into the toilet.

Have you considered a cassette? (Ducks)

MP.

does it pump up into a tank? if so it could be gravity pushing the fluids back into the bowl, plastimo do a one way valve for under a tenner that fits inside the standard white waste pipe, very easy to fit, cut the pipe insert it and secure with 2 jubilee clips

http://www.seascrew.com/product.cfm?NON-RE...mp;l=0000000408

Charles

Could be the return valve not seating due to limescale. We occasionally fill the bowl and macerator box with hot water and kettle acid overnight making sure it reaches up the outlet pipe to reach the valve, keeps everything clean and functioning.

Make sure you flush it before sitting on it :lol:

Edited by nb Innisfree

:lol: There is realy only one answer to this problem and we all know what that is........ :lol:

:lol: There is realy only one answer to this problem and we all know what that is........ :lol:

Having just spent many many hours over four days trying everything to unblock the 40mm waste pipe from our bog to the tank, I can say I almost agree with you!

Have read all the posts on this thread and would agree that the problem is most likely the non return valve not shutting off. I have had a macerator for about 7 years and everytime there has been a problem it has been down to limescale.

I have also found that you get a build up of limescale in the pipework as well. I give my system a good "de-coke" every year and I am always amazed at how much limescale I get out.

Phil

Had similar problem before we outed the whole lot for a cassette loo. Found that the non return valve was limescaled and therefor not closing properly.

:lol: Yep its easy realy, I have had both pumpout and cassette over the last twenty plus years and had the odd problem with pumpouts and absolutely NO PROBLEMS ever with cassette type bogs...........doesnt take a genious to work out what to do............ :lol:

Have read all the posts on this thread and would agree that the problem is most likely the non return valve not shutting off. I have had a macerator for about 7 years and everytime there has been a problem it has been down to limescale.

I have also found that you get a build up of limescale in the pipework as well. I give my system a good "de-coke" every year and I am always amazed at how much limescale I get out.

Phil

When I serviced the pump assembly a couple of months ago, I had to chip off a huge amount of limescale, which was largely the cause of recurring blockages. But how do you de-scale the pipes? Would a few jugfuls of hot vinegar be any use?

Incidentally, I managed to clear the pipe blockage (which was particularly stubborn) by mechanical means in the end. I had bought some stuff called "Knock Out" which is concentrated sulphuric acid in case I was forced to consider using it. In the end I poured a very small amount down, after clearing the blockage, thinking it might gently remove a bit of the limescale. Having seen the reaction and heat produced as well as the possibility of spillage or splashing and serious burns, I really would NOT recommend fiddling around with this stuff. In fact, it is such a dangerous substance, I'm very surprised it's sold to the general public. I'm taking the rest to be disposed of - it's not something I really want hanging around at home.

Simon.

Thank you everyone. I will look at all these suggestions when I get to my new mooring and get it sorted. As for my forum name... Hmmmm Nasty Water Woman sounds good. I could be called 'how many times can I take the toilet apart and still smile through gritted teeth Woman' But a cassette? I like the idea of a 'proper' toilet, but I could be swayed I think. Of course a nice long debate on the pros/cons may be due!!

About the limescale, I am always worried about putting anything down the toilet that may perish the rubber bits or harm the plastic. Is the stuff used for kettles ok? Would it be ok to put hot water down?

errrr, i know it's probably not technical enough, but perhaps your warning light has blown and it's full.

When I first bought the boat we wnt out for a long weekend to bring it back to the marina where she was going to stay. on the Sunday, a little red light came on , I didn't know what it meant. Carried on using loo and it flushed great, after a week, NastyWater was coming back. after two weeks, NastyWater was coming back and rising up bowl alarmingly.

I finally twigged what the light was for and went for a pump out.

:-)

Thank you everyone. I will look at all these suggestions when I get to my new mooring and get it sorted. As for my forum name... Hmmmm Nasty Water Woman sounds good. I could be called 'how many times can I take the toilet apart and still smile through gritted teeth Woman' But a cassette? I like the idea of a 'proper' toilet, but I could be swayed I think. Of course a nice long debate on the pros/cons may be due!!

About the limescale, I am always worried about putting anything down the toilet that may perish the rubber bits or harm the plastic. Is the stuff used for kettles ok? Would it be ok to put hot water down?

Try asking the manufacturer.

Any limescale may in fact be 'uric scale' (yum!) :lol: :lol:.

The best thing for it should be an acid based toilet cleaner like 'Harpic 100% Limescale remover', Sainsburys have it on offer at the moment.

cheers,

Pete.

what kind of a rise have you got between the bottom of toilet bowl and the inlet to the holding tank?

try loosening your pump out (rinse) cap a bit to let the pressure balance out.

only use tesco value paper (or similar)

if you get "one" :lol: that wont flush, leave it 30mins and trying flushing with engine running.

use the really thick type bleach (domestos do one with "flush proof formula" that works well)

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

2 further ideas based on my own experiences...they have both worked.

When you instrall the Non-return valve...you then attach the outlet pipe that goes to the tank....

Most non-retun valves are quite shallow and you have to be careful that the solid outlet pipe is not pushed too far 'home' that it actualy jams the little rubber butterfly valve.

Secondly...if you have the little hinged butterfly valve..make sure that you put a mark on it to show which side the hinge is on and when you reassemble make sure it is on top. Although the pressure will push the flap shut, if the hinge ends up on the bottom particles etc will fall between it and the valve ...this will stop it closing. Making sure the hinge is at the top gives extra time between having to clean it out.

Bob

Thank you everyone. I keep thinking it is ok then it goes again. I am even thinking of a cassette. Or a bucket..... or hanging out of the hatch and showing a full moon over Cheshire. Maybe that is just a step too far .... the new people around my new mooring do not seem to have done anything to deserve that... but sometimes I feel just a little frustrated! :lol:

Thank you everyone. I keep thinking it is ok then it goes again. I am even thinking of a cassette. Or a bucket..... or hanging out of the hatch and showing a full moon over Cheshire. Maybe that is just a step too far .... the new people around my new mooring do not seem to have done anything to deserve that... but sometimes I feel just a little frustrated! :lol:

I'm afraid this is a very tragic and severe case of cassette envy; a well known medical condition. You are aware that you've made the wrong decision and yet just can't bring yourself to utter the words. Fortunately there is a simple and effective remedy. Installing a cassette with spare tanks will cure all your symptoms and affect an instant and permanent solution. Cheer up; is that a cassette knight I see galloping over the horizon to rescue a damsel in distress? :lol::lol:

Roger

Get some kettle acid down there, it wont harm any s/s or plastic components. Do it on a regular basis.

I'm afraid this is a very tragic and severe case of cassette envy; a well known medical condition. You are aware that you've made the wrong decision and yet just can't bring yourself to utter the words. Fortunately there is a simple and effective remedy. Installing a cassette with spare tanks will cure all your symptoms and affect an instant and permanent solution. Cheer up; is that a cassette knight I see galloping over the horizon to rescue a damsel in distress? :lol::lol:

Roger

It could very well be, Roger. I am actually thinking about it in a serious way. I am trying to make my very stressful life less so. I do not worry unuly about the toilet I just roll my sleeves up (actually and psychologically) but maybe the time has come...

It could very well be, Roger. I am actually thinking about it in a serious way. I am trying to make my very stressful life less so. I do not worry unuly about the toilet I just roll my sleeves up (actually and psychologically) but maybe the time has come...

Bless you my child for you have obviously seen the error of your ways and are about to follow the only true path. One convert is worth two true believers. :lol:

Bishop Roger of the Cassette Church :lol: