Ashby and Braunston Pubs

gardencoaster

Featured Posts

We've just had to alter our itinerary for the forthcoming week afloat and would be grateful for recent reviews of pubs along the intended course and suggestions for any of which we have not thought.

I read on here a while back that the Millhouse at Braunston had been taken over by Marston's - has anyone been in there recently who could comment on beer and food service?

Is the Rising Sun at Shackerstone on the Ashby as good as it would appear? It has a website but there's no indication how old the data on it is.

Any other gems along the Ashby?

On the way back, we expect to stop somewhere near Hawkesbury Junction. Is the Greyhound worth a visit?

Thanks for any responses and info.

We've just had to alter our itinerary for the forthcoming week afloat and would be grateful for recent reviews of pubs along the intended course and suggestions for any of which we have not thought.

I read on here a while back that the Millhouse at Braunston had been taken over by Marston's - has anyone been in there recently who could comment on beer and food service?

Is the Rising Sun at Shackerstone on the Ashby as good as it would appear? It has a website but there's no indication how old the data on it is.

On the way back, we expect to stop somewhere near Hawkesbury Junction. Is the Greyhound worth a visit?

Visited the Greyhound last summer and it was first class. The staff friendly and helpfull, food very good. I have not been to the Sun for several years but it was very good. I will leave someone else to comment about the Braunston pub, I use the Old Plough when I am there or a Chinese takeaway from the Wheatsheaf.

Visited the Greyhound last summer and it was first class. The staff friendly and helpfull, food very good. I have not been to the Sun for several years but it was very good. I will leave someone else to comment about the Braunston pub, I use the Old Plough when I am there or a Chinese takeaway from the Wheatsheaf.

If you like Beefeater type food and fizzy beer then you'll love the Millhouse (have they renamed it, yet?) I prefer to walk up the village to the Plough or Wheatsheaf, or hang on, until the locks, for the Admiral Nelson.

The Sun is still run by the same people, a good pint of "Landlord" plus guests is always available. I ate their about a year ago and still good quality.

Downside on the beer is that if you like it served without the sparkler then you will not get it here... landlady refuses outright.

If you want to go a couple of miles futher then the Globe at Snarestone (above the tunnel) has food and real beer too but I haven't eaten here for a couple of years, the pub itself has a nice lounge area with real fire.

(If you need anything when you are at this end of he Ashby let me know I am less than 5 mins from Snarestone)

We were at Braunston a couple of weeks ago. The Wheatsheaf is under new management, but was ok. The "Millhouse" has been renamed "The Boathouse", and yes, it is Marstons. (Free Wi-fi, but very slow download speed... still managed to get some progs for the BBC iPlayer though). We didn't eat there, but the food loked good, and the service efficient and friendly.

Martin

We went to the Boat House at Braunston last Friday. We arrived at 1900, got a table at 2030 and were served at 2100! I admit we were a large party, but you are not allowed to book between 1900 and 2030.

The menu is of the one meal-free-variety, so it appears cheap. However, the portions were quite small and the quality hit and miss.

The service is friendly and, if the weather is kind, the terrace is a super place to sit.

I always spend at least one night at the Lime Kilns near Hinckley whenever I pass by that way. A friendly pub with good beer, good food, and good moorings. What more could you want?

A few locks to introduce a bit more interest into what is otherwise no doubt a great canal ? :lol:

A few locks to introduce a bit more interest into what is otherwise no doubt a great canal ? :lol:

Well the locks are there - just before the terminus basin but you would need an exceedingly shallow draught to navigate the intervening section . . .

Google Earth clicky

Google 'Streetview' shows them to be in remarkably good repair . . .

I don't know haw far up the Ashby you are going but the if you get as far as Snarestone, there is the Globe just before the tunnel, we had a nice meal there a couple of years ago.

Kev.

If you really want to confuse the boat behind you, stop and work your way through the stop-lock at the junction, carefully operating the gates and paddles as if they were still there.

If you really want to confuse the boat behind you, stop and work your way through the stop-lock at the junction, carefully operating the gates and paddles as if they were still there.

Not forgetting, of course, to use the imaginary bollards - or did BW install them here too? :lol:

I always spend at least one night at the Lime Kilns near Hinckley whenever I pass by that way. A friendly pub with good beer, good food, and good moorings. What more could you want?

Seconded!

Well the locks are there - just before the terminus basin but you would need an exceedingly shallow draught to navigate the intervening section . . .

Google Earth clicky

Google 'Streetview' shows them to be in remarkably good repair . . .

For "exceedingly shallow draught" don't you mean hovercraft? or trailable perhaps?

For "exceedingly shallow draught" don't you mean hovercraft? or trailable perhaps?

Well, although I am sure there are some on here who would claim to be able to float their boat in rainwater, I really meant it as a joke :lol:

. . . and there are some who might claim that they go so fast that their boat could jump the 'gap' !

Well, although I am sure there are some on here who would claim to be able to float their boat in rainwater, I really meant it as a joke :lol:

. . . and there are some who might claim that they go so fast that their boat could jump the 'gap' !

And my reply was similarly tongue in cheek!

It'd take a hell of a James Bond Special to jump that gap, it's not even a straight line :lol:

Ultimately don't we all float our boats in rainwater, then ? :lol:

The Hercules at Sutton Cheney on the Ashby is worth the short walk from the canal in to the village - quality food in covivial environment. We go there for special occasions meals. Worth changing into clean clothes for the restaurant.

Davo

Quote from the April/May edition of local CAMRA magazine says that the Redgate Steak and Ale House at Fenny Drayton (formerly the Royal Redgate) has now been refurbished and re-launched by Luke Finne, chef patron at the Hurcules Inn, Sutton.

So if you recommend the Hurcule one would expect the Redgate to be of a similar quality, although I have never visited either.