Best map(s) for the canal network?

Chrissyboy

Featured Posts

Of course, if you are cruising round with the 1997 edition, you can't reasonably expect it to be accurate.

Our Nicholsons are pre 2000 and probably are actually 1997 :lol: , but i only use them to see where the canal goes..!!! and they haven't changed much in 100 years let alone 10. Pubs, water points, and any other facilities are nice surprises, we like it that way, you sort of feel like you just found it yourself and its an adventure, rather than being told where to go, and where to find this and that, and what to do. We never let anything get too low or too full and feel quite safe and capable of surviving for a couple of weeks without someone telling us where a water point is. I realise this is just our preference and others like the security of knowing the other things. Its not just canals with me, I'm the same with all guide books.

Our Nicholsons are pre 2000 and probably are actually 1997 :lol: , but i only use them to see where the canal goes..!!! and they haven't changed much in 100 years let alone 10.

I have old canal guides somewhere that describe the few parts of the K&A that are available to navigation, and talks of ambitious plans to open it throughout!

We have encountered things like locks that have moved since a guide was written, in order to accommodate new road building.

So things can change.

Even small things - the Wendover arm now goes a few hundred yards more than in most of my guides, with the added bonus that you can now turn more than a 25 foot boat at the end of it.

I have old canal guides somewhere that describe the few parts of the K&A that are available to navigation, and talks of ambitious plans to open it throughout!

We have encountered things like locks that have moved since a guide was written, in order to accommodate new road building.

So things can change.

Even small things - the Wendover arm now goes a few hundred yards more than in most of my guides, with the added bonus that you can now turn more than a 25 foot boat at the end of it.

We had that problem last summer. According to our set of Nicholsons (which like yours tell us the K&A is mostly un-navigable) the two major canals that we traversed - the Rochdale and the Huddersfield Narrow - were both un-navigable so not only did we not know where we were most of the time, we didn't even know which canal we were lost on. Then on the way back, we went around Birmingham on the Wyrley and Essington, and dammit we fell off the maps again.

I find Pearsons guides good when estimating travelling time between two points at a glance on the inside cover. I also think they're better for giving advance warning of hazards ahead, narrows etc which Nicholsons don't do and they arn't as pompous as Nicholsons in the text. First Mate guides are good for showing local facilities.

I would tend to agree as it`s a very personal choice, personally I prefer Pearsons as I find the map larger in that each page probably doesn`t cover quite as far. When people say Nicholsons has more detail, this would be why the map is smaller, as you get older your eyesite goes you know :lol: lol.

Welcome, Stig! I guess we'll recognise you on the cut, you'll be the one going round the bends sideways at 85mph?

[quote

No. That's the guy in a boat called 'Chalice'.

Leo

You've lost me there. Reference to navigating whilst smoking marijuana, I assume? I would have thought that that would slow you down rather than speeding you up.

There is also an unofficial updates website for Nicholsons called Nicholsons Updates which lists user comments on the 2009 editions.

Not much use to me..my most up to date copy is from 1990, only have 3..North..South and Central. But we do have the Pearsons guides too..

Not much use to me..my most up to date copy is from 1990, only have 3..North..South and Central. But we do have the Pearsons guides too..

well. I'm a collector, I've got 1,2,3,4 at 2 inches to the mile (SE,NW,SW,NE) I've got 5 (Midlands) I've got the later dreadful 1/2 inch versions, I've got nearly all the BW guides, you know the straight line ones, I've got 1,2,3 in the North Central South series, I've got the broads and fens, I've got the Thames in the 2 inch series (hardback) and I've got all the OS based ones including Scotland.

But I don't have all the Pearson ones, or all the Waterways World ones. I do have two editions of Bradshaw (1904 and 1918) and about five versions of "Edwards" (the inland waterways of England and Wales/Britain, depending on edition) only three of which were Teddy Edwards's work, one in 1930 was before his time and the last one is Jane Cumberlidge. They were all published by Imray Laurie Noray and Wilson...

edited to add, this probably makes me a sad individual....

Edited by magpie patrick

[quote

No. That's the guy in a boat called 'Chalice'.

Leo

You've lost me there. Reference to navigating whilst smoking marijuana, I assume? I would have thought that that would slow you down rather than speeding you up.

????

OK, I can understand LEO's reference - Chalice crew like to make progress, but marijuana?

Explain please.

Cheers

Cath

Bit rude 'though - we definitely don't go at 85 mph.

Oh, and hi Stig!

Edited by Catrin

Nicholson's give headroom for each canal/waterway but only in the general sense so you have no warning that the lowest ones are coming up and know to put your brown trousers on.

Aye Paul - - Nicholson's is what I've used previously - - but - as you say - - there's no Brown Trouser warnings - -

and spoiled under-crackers is something I wish to avoid!

Their navigational advice is much less impressive. In particular, they are not nearly as good as they might be in giving specific advice for dealing with specific hazards. It's always worth seeking advice from other boaters in the bar, especially when there has been rain.

http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk/gmaps/inter...vecanalmap.aspx

I use Nicholson's all the time but would agree with this comment. I used the advice about turning above Lechlade and came to grief between the bridge abutments. It was all very embarrassing.

Nick

????

OK, I can understand LEO's reference - Chalice crew like to make progress, but marijuana?

Explain please.

Cheers

Cath

Bit rude 'though - we definitely don't go at 85 mph.

Oh, and hi Stig!

Only Joking!

L