Folding anchor, ok for Upper Thames?

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

I just noticed this anchor, which is a 15kg folding 'grappel hook' style anchor. Looks perfect for narrow boats, because it stows away very small.

The question is, is it suitable for a river like the Thames above Reading? I'm looking for a cheap anchor or two (I'm only going down the Thames from Oxford to Reading once. Seems a waste of money to buy an expensive and big anchor just for the one day..), to satisfy the regulations, and as a 'just in case'. I do not intent to overnight on the Thames.

Fold%20up%20open.jpg

Image from ebay

Thanks

I just noticed this anchor, which is a 15kg folding 'grappel hook' style anchor. Looks perfect for narrow boats, because it stows away very small.

The question is, is it suitable for a river like the Thames above Reading? I'm looking for a cheap anchor or two (I'm only going down the Thames from Oxford to Reading once. Seems a waste of money to buy an expensive and big anchor just for the one day..), to satisfy the regulations, and as a 'just in case'. I do not intent to overnight on the Thames.

Fold%20up%20open.jpg

Image from ebay

Thanks

That's designed for much smaller boats than a narrowboat. I used to have a slightly smaller one in a dinghy.

If you are unlucky enough to have some heavy rain, the Thames will move very fast. I would suggest trying to borrow a CQR or something similar.

Edited by sebrof

Fold%20up%20open.jpg

Image from ebay

Thanks

I would not use one - especially on a narrowboat over about 30 ft. If you feel a loan of a home made Danforth type will help email me, but it will need collecting and returning to Reading.

Is that because of the weight or the type of anchor? (i.e. would a 25kg anchor of that type with the appropriate amount of chain be suitable?)

No, its to do with the bottom.

The Thames bottom ranges from mud, through gravel to rock and for the first two I would want a plough type anchor that digs itself deeper and deeper the harder it is pulled. If it was a cruiser with a large unused front deck I would probably go for a CQR type but they are horrible to stow so I think the Danforth type is a fair compromise because it will stow flat and also plough in.

That Grappling hook type may be the best on a rocky bottom where it could grip in crevasses but I understand the rock bottom on the Thames was largely man made so it might be smooth. If that is any anchor will only work like a mud-weight without mud. I suspect the best you could hope for when there is a bit of flow is that it produces enough drag to allow the rudder to push the stern one way and thus ferry glide to one bank - that would not work with a stern anchor but the boat would probably take up an angle anyway because of where the line is attached.

Thanks for that, I did think as much, but I thought I check it first.

I would not use one - especially on a narrowboat over about 30 ft. If you feel a loan of a home made Danforth type will help email me, but it will need collecting and returning to Reading.

Thank you Tony, that is a very kind offer. I will contact you direct.

Oxford to reading in one day. Going at night as well?

:lol: :lol: Maybe.. I may be a bit over enthusiastic, but I will be going as long as possible, from first light onwards. The aim is to get the boat to Devizes, as quick as possible. Using the canal planner gives 8 days of 14 hours (Stone to the bottom of the Caen Hill flight. But initially getting it to Devizes is o.k., as that is only 12miles from where I live.) Having driven HGV's for 20 odd years I'm well used to long days going in straight lines :lol:.

In fact, how long would it take to go from Oxford (is it Isis lock where you join the Thames?) to Reading?

Thanks for that, I did think as much, but I thought I check it first.

Thank you Tony, that is a very kind offer. I will contact you direct.

:lol: :lol: Maybe.. I may be a bit over enthusiastic, but I will be going as long as possible, from first light onwards. The aim is to get the boat to Devizes, as quick as possible. Using the canal planner gives 8 days of 14 hours (Stone to the bottom of the Caen Hill flight. But initially getting it to Devizes is o.k., as that is only 12miles from where I live.) Having driven HGV's for 20 odd years I'm well used to long days going in straight lines :lol:.

In fact, how long would it take to go from Oxford (is it Isis lock where you join the Thames?) to Reading?

Good luck with the 14 hour days. You will have to operate the Thames locks yourself. Where in Devizes will you be mooring?

From Isis lock to Reading I take 3 days with two night stops. Then moor at the prison in Reading.

:lol:

Edited by Laurie.Booth

I have to admit, if it where me, i would just for a 25kg danforth... or even a 15kg if you feel that way.

Ive not seen a 15kg folding one as above in real life, but the one we have thats maybe 2.5kg isnt tiny and while they arnt the most eligant thing to store a danforth type is fairly thin and can be stood up on end or laid down somewhere.

- We normally take ours of the boat if its not going to be used for a long time, and it just stands behind the workroom door till next time.

You can pay silly money for them, but equally, even just rummaging the internet after a thread like this, ive found some for fairly reasonable money.

Daniel

Fold%20up%20open.jpg

Image from ebay

Thanks

They are not great, have had 2 in my time, OK for a dinghy but not much else. I think I am correct in saying that they are cast iron and therefore somewhat delicate, i did in fact snap off one of the tines on the first one I had. (dropped it)

Phil

Good luck with the 14 hour days. You will have to operate the Thames locks yourself. Where in Devizes will you be mooring?

From Isis lock to Reading I take 3 days with two night stops. Then moor at the prison in Reading.

The canal planner gives Isis lock to Reading (jail) as a 14 hours 58 minutes. I agree that it will be a push, but in May I should have sufficient daylight to make it in one go.

I won't be mooring in Devizes permanently, I was using it more as a way point. I will be using the boat on the Western side of the K&A, and will be mooring were ever it is convinient really. I may also work the Eastern side, but I'm not sure if the volume of work will justify the trip up and down the Caen Hill. Although the thought of a week or so working up to Hungerford and back is tempting. A whole week of peace and quiet... :lol: .

I work in Devizes though at the moment. That is partly why I got this whole silly idea of getting a boat...

The canal planner gives Isis lock to Reading (jail) as a 14 hours 58 minutes. I agree that it will be a push, but in May I should have sufficient daylight to make it in one go.

I won't be mooring in Devizes permanently, I was using it more as a way point. I will be using the boat on the Western side of the K&A, and will be mooring were ever it is convinient really. I may also work the Eastern side, but I'm not sure if the volume of work will justify the trip up and down the Caen Hill. Although the thought of a week or so working up to Hungerford and back is tempting. A whole week of peace and quiet... :lol: .

I work in Devizes though at the moment. That is partly why I got this whole silly idea of getting a boat...

You will be using a fair bit to the River Kennet and in my view you should have an anchor until at least Newbury. The Kennet is a far more "flashy" river then the Thames and can really zip up and down after heavy rain - even in summer.

They are not great, have had 2 in my time, OK for a dinghy but not much else. I think I am correct in saying that they are cast iron and therefore somewhat delicate, i did in fact snap off one of the tines on the first one I had. (dropped it)

Phil

It would need to be a big dinghy to need a 15Kg version though.

It would need to be a big dinghy to need a 15Kg version though.

The reason I asked about this type was because it is a 15kg anchor. The lighter ones are obviously of no use. Having said that, I see what Tony explained, about the anchor having to dig in.

The reason I asked about this type was because it is a 15kg anchor. The lighter ones are obviously of no use. Having said that, I see what Tony explained, about the anchor having to dig in.

In your shoes, I should be very happy tp take Tony up on his offer. The CQR is generally regarded as the best anchor there is for the most commonly found river/lake/sea beds - sandy or muddy. The Danforth was designed to do the same job, but to be easier to stow. Tests have shown that it is not quite as good as the CQR at holding, but is much better at stowing - as Tony said.

The only other contender is the Bruce anchor, which is made of one piece of metal - it doesn't hinge like the other two. It's good, but if you go round a coastal marina you will find that nearly all the better boats have CQRs. And I say that having owned a 32 ft sailing cruiser that had a Danforth.

But if you are going to take an anchor, you should obviously take one that will do the job. Look up sizes on the Danforth website.

http://www.danforthanchors.com/standard.html

Great canal the K&A, keep us informed about your journey and have a great time.

You need to put at least half an hour aside to buy your Thames licence at the first manned lock you come to

You need to put at least half an hour aside to buy your Thames licence at the first manned lock you come to

It took me 1hour to get my first Thames licence as it took ages to answer all the questions.

The 2nd time I did it I had the answers ready.

The 3rd time I was stopped at a lock for being illegal.

My illegal boat Clarrie, can you see what is wrong?

hannoverquay.jpg

It took me 1hour to get my first Thames licence as it took ages to answer all the questions.

The 2nd time I did it I had the answers ready.

The 3rd time I was stopped at a lock for being illegal.

My illegal boat Clarrie, can you see what is wrong?

Name on the bow is to small, and no life ring.

I've got a couple of these - but possibly even smaller - stowed fore and aft. As anchors forget it - they just don't!

However, as grappling hooks to chuck into the bushes - they work a treat! I've spent a few nights moored on the non towpath side with these wrapped round tree branches. Retrieving them can be a challenge though - requiring skilled use of a boathook.

I've often wondered about, but thankfully never had to test, their efficacy as an an emergency anchor - albeit chucked into the bushes on the bank rather than

into the water.

Oh - and they are absolutely brilliant for breaking ice. You chuck them in folded - they make a small hole, and then when you pull them up, they unfold and you can tear up huge sheets of ice with them.

Edited by billS

I was going to say, incorrect name on bow, although they seem fairly relaxed on this for one off pleasure craft.

You are correct, wrong name on the bow.

It should read Clarrie not www.captainpugwash.org.

This is because when aproaching a lock, the lock keeper can read the name to see if you are taxed and also will know the length of the boat.

PS

They let me continue with my journey.

They are so picky aren't they. Our first boat was called Thistle, but it didn't have the name painted on the starboard side because I was haf-way through repainting the panel when we ventured on to the Thames. We did however have a fine specimen of a Thistle growing from a pot on the roof; for some reason the lock-keeper said it wasn't good enough.