Young Working Boaters Society Apostrophes

DHutch

Featured Posts

There a first for everything, but it might as well be right.

- Apostrophes, do we or dont we!

Who owns what if at all?

I think we should do without, but we've had suggestions to the contrary!

1. Young Working Boaters Society

2. Young Working Boaters' Society

3. Young Working Boater's Society

Daniel

The first, if you think that punctuation is for wimps.

The second, if the society has members.

The third, if its, whoops it's, fallen on hard times and has but a single member.

Athy (B.A. English, B'ham).

It could be the third one if it's a society of people who all worship the same young working boater, or who all worship a hat (as long as that hat is not too old and it still works)

Sorry I can't think of any situation in which the first one would be correct.

Although it is a dreadful sin to omit an apostrophe that is called for, there can be no sin in re-arranging the words so that the dreaded apostrophe is not required - so may I propose a fourth alternative:

Society of Young Working Boaters

Edited by NB Alnwick

Recently seen on the Llangollen: Bw signs saying Dredger's working. Working what it didn't say. Not nearly as bad as the official BW ones that said "Not a public Right Away". How did that ever get as far as actually being put up?

George Bernard Shaw advocated the abolition of the apostrophe (but what would greengrocers do?), and on the other hand see The Apostrophe Protection Society

I do like to see a nicely placed apostrophe, but I can quite see that they can be a source of puzzlement and derision. There are far worse examples of regrettable usage, such as useful and attractive words such as 'gay' being traduced so that the original meaning is unusable.

(Runs and hides)

The first, if you think that punctuation is for wimps.
Thats me then!

The second, if the society has members.
It's a plural possessive, so therefore the second one is correct.
Sounds like thats the on then.

YWBS has a better ring to it than SYWB however and for that reason i feel its going to stick!

How offensive would it be to the general pubic if it appeared apostrophe free, I failed english gcse and think it looks nicer without.... (hides)

But on a more serious note, ive seen a lot of similarly named clubs not use such. Presumably not all through total ignorance or denial!

Daniel

Although it is a dreadful sin to omit an apostrophe that is called for, there can be no sin in re-arranging the words so that the dreaded apostrophe is not required - so may I propose a fourth alternative:

But does that imply the Young have to be working in order to be part of the Society?

Not nearly as bad as the official BW ones that said "Not a public Right Away". How did that ever get as far as actually being put up?

Yes I saw those signs too, it's about the level I would expect. Worse is that where they are, BW have built steps and fences leading down to every culvert on that canal, what a waste of money..

We could ask Soldthehouse about the apostrophe as he always seems to put them in the right place :lol:

Edited by casper ghost

Recently seen on the Llangollen: Bw signs saying Dredger's working. Working what it didn't say. (snip)

Contraction for "Dredger is working"? But did they mean "operating" or "not broken"? :lol:

Iain

If it is a society of young working boaters the first one would be correct as, without the apostrophe, there is no indication of ownership or possession in the title The title is descriptive of the nature of the society and not an indication of its ownership.

If it is intended to show this is a society owned by young working boaters then the second would be correct.

The third would be correct if the society was the possession of one young working boater.

National Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs (sic)

The Federation uses the apostrophe but many individual clubs don't. Who's right or wrong I don't know but it looks tidier without the apostrophe on logos/signs IMHO.

Sorry I can't think of any situation in which the first one would be correct.

"Without young working boaters Society will crumble"

and yes, I know I've omitted a comma.

Edited because it looked wrong capitalised.

Edited by carlt

There a first for everything, but it might as well be right.

- Apostrophes, do we or dont we!

Who owns what if at all?

I think we should do without, but we've had suggestions to the contrary!

1. Young Working Boaters Society

2. Young Working Boaters' Society

3. Young Working Boater's Society

Daniel

Does such a society exist, or are you thinking of starting it?

If this were to happen and one of the society's aims were to encourage use of the canal systems in this country among young people it could be a very good thing. Not only for the canals' future position in the nation's infrastructure but also for those people who are given the opportunity to discover something they never knew could be quite so satisfactory, that being boating.

not edited