Worst case scenario

Dyad

Featured Posts

I was looking on Google Maps satellite view at Hawkesbury Junction and thought Ooo my worst nightmare. A curve with boats moored either side, a boat coming in both directions towards each other. What happens if they don't see each other until the last minute and there is no room to manoeuvre, literally.

Your opinions/experiences please.

I've done Sutton Stop dozens of times, often with a pair, and never had a problem.

Sorry Carl, I wasn't referring to the site in particular more the scenario of a bend and two boats meeting in a narrow bit between moored boats. I am a novice and the fear of meeting someone coming the other way with other boats either side fills me with dread. I expect it isn't as bad as it looks on the aerial shot.

I was looking on Google Maps satellite view at Hawkesbury Junction and thought Ooo my worst nightmare. A curve with boats moored either side, a boat coming in both directions towards each other. What happens if they don't see each other until the last minute and there is no room to manoeuvre, literally.

Your opinions/experiences please.

The worst case scenario is that boats hit each other, and swearing happens. Narrowboats are made of steel and they don't go very fast. We had a day-hire boat veer across in front of us at the last minute on the GU, we T-boned it just at the start of the cabin. There was a dent afterwards but nobody sank. Hopefully next time that steerer will remember which way to push the tiller even when under pressure.

MP.

Sorry Carl, I wasn't referring to the site in particular more the scenario of a bend and two boats meeting in a narrow bit between moored boats. I am a novice and the fear of meeting someone coming the other way with other boats either side fills me with dread. I expect it isn't as bad as it looks on the aerial shot.

Hi

I find the easiest method is to slam it into full reverse and close your eyes :lol:

In reality stopping as quickly as possible is about all you can do, you will find you will be able to steer it in reverse ....eventually. Its a rapid way to learn.

Most of my near misses have happened in blind bridge holes - even after I've blown my V loud horn. :lol:

Alex

Position your boat on the correct side of the cut and slow down. Sound your horn if necessary, but don't expect the oncoming steerer to take any notice. Keep as far over to your side of the cut as possible, without hitting the moored boats. Then, if the "worst" happens at least it won't be your fault!

Jim

As with many things it's a lot less scary with experience, but fear can also prevent you from trying. I wonder how many people here (and elsewhere) have passed the tiller to a more experienced spouse/friend/crew member/whoever at the first sign of a challenge, and thus never gained the confidence?!

If you really feel underconfident to the extent that you aren't even trying, then it might be worth booking onto a boat handling course. I haven't been on one myself, so can't recommend one, but it might be helpful. Anyone else care to comment?

If you're confident enough to try you're most of the way there. There are specific tips for passing boats, which can sound a bit daunting at first. I'm sure others more expert than I can help... For example, if your boat has a deep draught or you're in a shallow section, you may not be able to pull over as much as you'd like. In these cases you should be be ready for your bows to be pulled towards the other boat, and compensate for it.

Be aware that some people will head straight ahead and only steer out of the way at the last minute - it's not aggression, it's to maintain their water and to avoid running aground or into moored boats.

When there are moored boats you will be going fairly slowly so be careful to keep up the revs enough to maintain steerage if you see another boat coming (or if there's another factor which might affect it, like strong winds).

Personally, if it was a straight choice between hitting a moving or a moored boat I'd rather bump a moving boat - they're more likely to swear at you, but they're less likely to be cooking something hot, or to be knocked over unexpectedly etc. And if they're on the move they should have made things safe inside - moored boats may be more vulnerable to damage if hit. Definitely my personal opinion though - and I do try not to hit anything!!

Lucy

Hawksworth isn't completely blind IIRC. You can see one parallel canal from the other before the bridge.

Richard

I think the OP is on about the section east and South East of the Junction/Sutton stop lock itself, as it curves around to the rather unsightly section with the pylons and sub stations..

It is however tight yes, but not so much it's a big problem just take it canny, if I can do it without hitting anything them you should be able to, but if you do it's no big deal as long as you aren't 'Doing a Phylis'.

The junction itself is a great place to visit and the Greyhound there is one of the best pubs I've visited in a long time.

Edited by MJG

I think the OP is on about the section east and South East of the Junction/Sutton stop lock itself, as it curves around to the rather unsightly section with the pylons and sub stations..

It is however tight yes, but not so much it's a big problem just take it canny, if I can do it without hitting anything them you should be able to, but if you do it's no big deal as long as you aren't 'Doing a Phylis'.

The junction itself is a great place to visit and the Greyhound there is one of the best pubs I've visited in a long time.

Ahh, yes, you're right. You can't go fast enough there to have a really good collision

Richard

Hi,

Last year we had a nearly worst case scenario.

We were leaving Atherstone towards Coventry and going slowly past the last few moored boats before the bridge.

The bridge is on a corner as so many are and as we neared it a boat came through quickish and right in the middle.

We hit it button to button and glanced off, no damage done.

It was a canaltime boat which has no real front deck and the potential worst bit, that they could easily have avoided, was the fact there were three people balanced on the front.

They could so easily have been knocked off and ended up on our boat or between the two which could have been quite nasty.

No damage done and they were very apologetic, they had collected the boat only about 3 bridges before, and I hope it was a bit of a wake up without anyone getting hurt.

Yes boating is a contact sport, but we avoid where possible :lol:

But you ALWAYS meet other boats on bends, normally there is also a bridge across the cut right on the bend. You NEVER meet them on the straight. I am not sure who's law it is, but it should be someones.

Richard aren't you confusing that particular layout with Blisbury? :lol:

Hawkes worth. Blis bury...

Ooops.

Oh well, the old boaters will have a different name for them anyway

Richard

Bloody hirers, ban em I say... :lol:

Worst case scenario we experienced last year was a plastic boat come flying through the bridgehole as we were about to enter it.

They thought they could beat us to it with them being further away, luckily we predicted their actions & i slammed into reverse & the reeds to save destroying their boat.

Not even an apology from them or a thankyou.

Times when i don't like sharp bends with moored boats are when theres a plastic boat moored on a bend & something comes around the corner heading straight into you :lol: what do you do when you can see yourself being pushed towards it!!

I did used to hate meeting boats when both sides of a narrow were lined with moored boats but now just take it calmly.

It's fun when theres a stretch of canal like Stretton stop with boats moored both sides for many yards & often just enough room for two boats to pass slowly but the boat heading towards you hogs the middle :lol: & theres nowhere to pull in.

Would it be stating the obvious to suggest a good long blast on the horn, and then the correct sound signal for turning right or left would be in order?

At least it would warn an inexperienced hirer that there was another boat about - you may even get the correct reply if they'd read last month's Waterways World.

Contrary to the laws of Physics, sound travels faster than light around bends.

Would it be stating the obvious to suggest a good long blast on the horn, and then the correct sound signal for turning right or left would be in order?

At least it would warn an inexperienced hirer that there was another boat about - you may even get the correct reply if they'd read last month's Waterways World.

Contrary to the laws of Physics, sound travels faster than light around bends.

I thought the technique was to have someone on the bowline, round the stump on the turn to hold the front still while the back takes the turn,powering round the fixed point. Surely whoever is on the bow line can see what is going on. Or is it not done that way anymore?

Edited by antarmike

I thought the technique was to have someone on the bowline, round the stump on the turn to hold the front still while the back takes the turn,powering round the fixed point. Surely whoever is on the bow line can see what is going on. Or is it not done that way anymore?

I take it you are not familiar with the bend in question....

sounds a tad extreme to me.

Nearest I ever came to the "worst case scenario" was when steering an empty, "newly ex-" working boat and coming through a blind bridge hole on a bend on the GU to find a shiny new plastic and chrome cruiser sideways across the cut. The look on the chap's face as he saw the formidable front end of one of these heading straight for his boat will stay with me forever. As will his attire of crisply pressed white shorts and shirt with epaulettes, peaked yachting cap and deck shoes. :lol: As it was he frantically poled his stern around and I steered comfortably behind him. No contact was made.

That's how we did Sutton Stop last time, but then, I like messing about with ropes

Richard