Mouldy Sealent

DHutch

Featured Posts

It seams half my new threads recently have been about sealent (well, two in as many years) but yet again my hate of silicone strikes again.

About twice a year since it was fitted 4 years ago the sealent around the shower tray at home gets bad enough that mum perswades my to dig it out and redo it, often just before guests come at either at chrismass or over summer. And guess what, guests coming next weekend. Sealents mouldy. Fun times ahead...

However before I grub it all out with a sharpened pallet knife and do the same as i did last time again does anyone have any thoughts on avoiding a reoccurence through suitable sealent choice. I hate silicone with a passion, but i dont like acrlic eather and PU is expensive and hard to buy as well as problery just as prone to moulding.

The showers used by the whole family, daily or twice daily, basicaly all year around. Its in a small ensuite shower room with no window and although the extration if good and runs all day (far better than you aveage 5mins of noise and no action when the lgihts on) it still fairly damp.

IM not expecting to recover this sealent which is black right through but are the more expesive antimould sealents any good or are the anti mould cleaners/sprays/whateversoidonthavetoreplaceitagains

Daniel

I've found, for our house shower, quite a good mould killer called HG (Hagesan) Mould Spray available from Lakeland Plastics IIRC. It is good if the mould hasn't taken too much of a hold and Lakeland also sell a grout (long handled) scrubbing brush which is good for getting into the corners to work the HG well. You may need to do a couple of applications and leave for a while between scrubbings but it's the best I've found so far even if it does smell just like a domestic bleach.

Roger

The sealant in my bathroom at home is still free of mould after five years.

I don't think that there is anything special about the sealant, but: the last one to shower uses a squeegee thingy to take most of the water off the tiles, shower screen and the bath surround, followed by a quick wipe round the top of the bath with an old towel.

Domestos applied regularly even diluted will kill any spores, we even use it in damp areas of the yard and on brickwork to kill moss, if used as a regular wipe around your mould wont stand a chance, :lol:

It helps if you lay kitchen towel around the sides and then put bleach on, it holds it in the area that needs treatment longer, then lift it off together with the gunge and rinse with clean water.

quote name='johnjo' date='Dec 28 2009, 05:22 PM' post='465450']

http://www.polyseamseal.com/ttultra.shtml

Our plumber recommends this as being as good as it gets. If you're using it to seal around a bath half fill the bath so that it dosen't pull the seal down when in use, similar with a shower, just put something heavy in it until it's fully cured.

Hi

Over many years I have only found one sealer that is any good - for everthing and it doesn't go mouldy

Dow Corning

I've found, for our house shower, quite a good mould killer called HG (Hagesan) Mould Spray available from Lakeland Plastics IIRC. It is good if the mould hasn't taken too much of a hold and Lakeland also sell a grout (long handled) scrubbing brush which is good for getting into the corners to work the HG well. You may need to do a couple of applications and leave for a while between scrubbings but it's the best I've found so far even if it does smell just like a domestic bleach.

Roger

I think you will find that almost every mould killing treatment on the market is basicly Household Bleach. That's what I use and it works a treat. No need for expensive stuff.

Daniel, make sure that you give the surfaces a good dousing of bleach, and just wipe it dry, before re-sealing the shower.

I think you will find that almost every mould killing treatment on the market is basicly Household Bleach. That's what I use and it works a treat. No need for expensive stuff.

All I can say is that it (HG) is more effective than any household bleach that I've tried in the past, but if you're happy with household bleach then carry on with it.

Roger

IM not expecting to recover this sealent which is black right through but are the more expesive antimould sealents any good or are the anti mould cleaners/sprays/whateversoidonthavetoreplaceitagains

What have you been using so far? Why the hatred of silicone?

I'd use any of the big name anti mould sealants, eg:

Dow Corning 785

Unibond Anti Mould Ice White

Everbuild Forever White.

I've found a cheap craft knife set (X-acto knife set knockoff) good for getting old silicone off, 'silicone eater' should make removing the last bits easy.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I redo the sealant around my bath every couple of years - it's not bad but gets mould spots in places. One tip I use is to mask off the top edge with masking tape to get a neat line and use nail varnish remover (acetone) to get it off the tiles of it goes over, taking care not to get any on the acrylic bath.

I am convinced that a lot of *mould* on silicone seal is caused by chemicals in shampoo, conditioner, and hair colourants that people use.

We have two bathrooms and a shower room at home. The baths and shower tray are all sealed with silicone which is guaranteed for 10 years against mould.

The bathroom which is never used by any women in the house is always free of of any mould, yet it doesn't have any extractor fans. The other bathroom and shower room have extractor fans and are used daily by the wife and daughter. I fight a losing battle to keep those stain free.

I'm not being sexist, but I'll probably get shot at dawn ...........................

Phil

I am convinced that a lot of *mould* on silicone seal is caused by chemicals in shampoo, conditioner, and hair colourants that people use.

We have two bathrooms and a shower room at home. The baths and shower tray are all sealed with silicone which is guaranteed for 10 years against mould.

The bathroom which is never used by any women in the house is always free of of any mould, yet it doesn't have any extractor fans. The other bathroom and shower room have extractor fans and are used daily by the wife and daughter. I fight a losing battle to keep those stain free.

I'm not being sexist, but I'll probably get shot at dawn ...........................

Phil

Hi Phil

I have always though that the lack of ventilation is the major cause in the growth of mould.

Have you checked how good that ventilator is? It may be blocked by the outside vent or a torturous route out.

Alex

Phil

Or it could be assumed that they bathe more than the men increasing the risk, you may want to use this as a get out when they finally track you down :lol:

Hi

Over many years I have only found one sealer that is any good - for everthing and it doesn't go mouldy

Dow Corning

Dow Corning is the manufacturer of many different sealants, and just about the oldest, its almost like Hoover or Refrigerator, which sealant in particular?

Polycell make a "Sealant Remover" which though I've never used it is supposed to be very good.

Steve

All I can say is that it (HG) is more effective than any household bleach that I've tried in the past, but if you're happy with household bleach then carry on with it.

Roger

We have that, too, it's like super strong industrial bleach, so if you use it on a boat, just make sure it doesn't get into the water. Last time I used it, it dripped on my tracksuit bottoms and nearly burned a hole through the leg! :lol:

I redo the sealant around my bath every couple of years - it's not bad but gets mould spots in places. One tip I use is to mask off the top edge with masking tape to get a neat line and use nail varnish remover (acetone) to get it off the tiles of it goes over, taking care not to get any on the acrylic bath.

Baby wipes are excellent for removing silicone before it has dried.

It seams half my new threads recently have been about sealent (well, two in as many years) but yet again my hate of silicone strikes again.

About twice a year since it was fitted 4 years ago the sealent around the shower tray at home gets bad enough that mum perswades my to dig it out and redo it, often just before guests come at either at chrismass or over summer. And guess what, guests coming next weekend. Sealents mouldy. Fun times ahead...

However before I grub it all out with a sharpened pallet knife and do the same as i did last time again does anyone have any thoughts on avoiding a reoccurence through suitable sealent choice. I hate silicone with a passion, but i dont like acrlic eather and PU is expensive and hard to buy as well as problery just as prone to moulding.

The showers used by the whole family, daily or twice daily, basicaly all year around. Its in a small ensuite shower room with no window and although the extration if good and runs all day (far better than you aveage 5mins of noise and no action when the lgihts on) it still fairly damp.

Daniel

I have been told that using a finger wetted with saliva to smooth the skinned sealant is the biggest cause of mould. Use washing up liquid instead.

Ian

Yes, the masking tape is KEY to getting a nice edge - BUT remove it as soon as you've finished, don't wait until the stuff is dry, otherwise you get a horrible ridge.

The other key tip someone mentioned is to fill the bath - works really well!

My, we are a fount of knowledge on this subject :lol:

Tried neat household bleach on the mould on the sealant behind our sink. Brilliant. 98% of mould gone.

Something I hadn't appreciated until I read the instructions on a sealant tube was to push the tube along rather than pull it. The difference when I tried it was amazing but you do need a fine hole in the nozzle.

I do usually pull rather than push (and have never read the instructions) so i might give that a go, same with mig welding, although i cant see it affecting the mould.

I usually done smooth it either, just go for the fast smooth application leave it approach, smoothing only the corners slightly, with a dry fingar.

But no, somthing to go one. Ive not done it yet and its now the end of holidays so i expect i'll get out of it for another few months but will state that im not prepared to do it unless they supply me with some decent silicon and order then a bottle of that HG Hagesan stuff from Lakeland Plastics.

Daniel

Dettol do a bathroom/kitchen mould remover for sealants and general mould. We where a bit sceptical about it working but tried it on the sealant around the windscreen on Cal. The instructions said to leave it for 5 minutes but that didnt work so we left it overnight. The results where very good. About 98% of the mould had gone and the sealant was bright white again. Have since used it at home to good effect as well.

Tried neat household bleach on the mould on the sealant behind our sink. Brilliant. 98% of mould gone.

Something I hadn't appreciated until I read the instructions on a sealant tube was to push the tube along rather than pull it. The difference when I tried it was amazing but you do need a fine hole in the nozzle.

Pushing the tube rather than pulling it has two advantages, it forces more silicone into the gap so providing a better seal, and the edge of the pushed nozzle smooths the sealant as it goes over it.

Edited by David Schweizer

Pushing the tube rather than pulling it has two advantages, it forces more silicone into the gap so providing a better seal, and the edge of the pushed nozzle smooths the sealant as it goes over it.

And when you put masking tape either side of the join as well the results are superb (at least, compared to my previous efforts they were)!