1955 Cassiobury

Derek R.

Featured Posts

From the 1955 Spring edition of 'Hertfordshire Countryside', an article by T. H. Hook comments on the fashion for filling in canals that bear no traffic, and ponders the future of the remaining canal system as possibly one for leisure. 1954 saw 12,000,000 tons carried.

These shots show Iron Bridge lock and a pair departing North - Uttoxeter and ? Battersea possibly? Battersea was paired with Uttoxeter during the 'Trainee' years, but that was nine years earlier. Can anyone identify the motor and crew? Sleeves rolled up, Trilby, bib'n brace, and Wellies. The lady in the butty wears a headscarf.

The second see's a regular tourist service just leaving Albert's Two that was commented on as being an ideal way to introduce young people to the canals and their history. This trip boat, along with Denebola, was described as running from Croxley Bridge to Grove Mill on Sundays, taking one hour each way. Seventy people can be seated in each, and refreshments available in the form of Tea for the adults, and 'pop' for the children. Extended cabin for 'catering'.

Both photo's by E. R. McNaughton.

IronbridgeCassioburyUttoxeter1955La.jpg

AlbertsTwoThemisLarge.jpg

From the 1955 Spring edition of 'Hertfordshire Countryside', an article by T. H. Hook comments on the fashion for filling in canals that bear no traffic, and ponders the future of the remaining canal system as possibly one for leisure. 1954 saw 12,000,000 tons carried.

These shots show Iron Bridge lock and a pair departing North - Uttoxeter and ? Battersea possibly? Battersea was paired with Uttoxeter during the 'Trainee' years, but that was nine years earlier. Can anyone identify the motor and crew? Sleeves rolled up, Trilby, bib'n brace, and Wellies. The lady in the butty wears a headscarf.

Both photo's by E. R. McNaughton.

IronbridgeCassioburyUttoxeter1955La.jpg

From the 'British Waterways' fleet list dated 01 October 1954 - BANSTEAD & UTTOXETER - J. Tonks. This pairing may be supported by the fact that both boats look to be recently docked, and BANSTEAD was docked during September 1953 with UTTOXETER being docked during March 1954 having been laid up "awaiting repair" for several months before.

UTTOXETER had previously been paired with exF.M.C.Ltd. motor HAWK captained by Joe Smith and had been split from BATTERSEA several years before. The first 'British Waterways' fleet I have is dated 08 June 1948 where UTTOXETER is paired with ALDGATE captained by M. Jackson, who was considered to be 'satisfactory' and operating his pair two handed.

What a shame that the Iron Bridge top gates no longer have those gate paddles.

A deep lock, now with only ground paddles, and very leaky bottom gates, this is undoubtedly the slowest filling lock on the southern GU.

Tip to anybody who can't get them open - the non-towpath gate is invariably the easier to move, having better, and better placed, footholds.

I have to admit to occasional "help" from the boat when running North through Iron Bridge.

The loss of the cottage is a shame too, although it is reported as having been part of the Cassiobury estate, and not actually related to the waterway in any way.

Great photos, Derek.

I cannot quite make out the name on the trip boat, it looks exactly how Pisces looked when we took her over, but AFIK she was still named Water Sprite in 1954 so it cannot be her.

The boat is Themis which later became Water Kelpie and was fitted with the more normal rounded "hard top." I'm pretty sure Water Sprite/Pisces had one of these which was incorporated into its first conversion much like Romulus/Water Fairy/Denebola.

Who would be proud to steer a boat called Water Fairy these days? Imagine the catcalls from the towpath.

Paul H

The boat is Themis which later became Water Kelpie and was fitted with the more normal rounded "hard top." I'm pretty sure Water Sprite/Pisces had one of these which was incorporated into its first conversion much like Romulus/Water Fairy/Denebola.

Who would be proud to steer a boat called Water Fairy these days? Imagine the catcalls from the towpath.

Paul H

Thanks for the name of the boat. Now I know what it is I can read it

I can assure you that Pisces did not have one of the round topped fibreglass roofs. She had a flat plywood roof and short flat upper sides, all bolted to a tubular frame. If I knew how to post a photo, I would add one of her pictured at the 1964 IWA Rally. However she did have one of those huge liner funnels on the back cabin which housed the Calor Gas bottle.

I cannot quite make out the name on the trip boat, it looks exactly how Pisces looked when we took her over, but AFIK she was still named Water Sprite in 1954 so it cannot be her.

A fairly minor point but PISCES was a laid up and derelict maintenance boat at Tardebigge during 1956, and was not converted to a trip boat until 1958 being renamed WATER SPRITE at the same time.

THEMIS was the first 'British Waterways' trip boat conversion, which was carried out during the winter of 1949/50. THEMIS was not renamed WATER KELPIE until 1959. DENEBOLA is listed in 'British Waterways' records as being a trip boat by 1953 (possibly as early as 1950) and was renamed WATER FAIRY in about 1958 when the other trip boats were commissioned.

Both THEMIS and DENEBOLA were initially converted to trip boats in such a way that they could easily be returned to carrying service, and were so listed in several period Bulls Bridge documents.

THEMIS was the first 'British Waterways' trip boat conversion, which was carried out during the winter of 1949/50.

So presumably entering passenger service in 1950? That's very interesting as John James' 'Jason' was started in 1951 and is usually credited with being the first of the 'present day' passenger boat services, and the one that inspired many to set up their own waterway businesses. Also, it became acrimonious when BW commenced their Zoo Waterbus Service in 1959 running along the same route as 'Jason' even if not offering quite the same type of trip. BW originally pledged not to offer 'trips', only a one-way service to and from London Zoo, but later did provide 'round trips' without the need for zoo entry.

Perhaps John James was unaware of the precedent set by 'Themis', and indeed perhaps we should credit BW for doing more towards establishing the canals for pleasure in the interim years between freight and leisure than is normally the case.

Steve

So presumably entering passenger service in 1950? That's very interesting as John James' 'Jason' was started in 1951 and is usually credited with being the first of the 'present day' passenger boat services, and the one that inspired many to set up their own waterway businesses. Also, it became acrimonious when BW commenced their Zoo Waterbus Service in 1959 running along the same route as 'Jason' even if not offering quite the same type of trip. BW originally pledged not to offer 'trips', only a one-way service to and from London Zoo, but later did provide 'round trips' without the need for zoo entry.

Perhaps John James was unaware of the precedent set by 'Themis', and indeed perhaps we should credit BW for doing more towards establishing the canals for pleasure in the interim years between freight and leisure than is normally the case.

Steve

Recent article on Waterscape:

http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...0-years-service

Tim

Tim

Oh-Dear!

I do hope comparing Perseus to a Routemaster bus doesn't cause it to end up with the same fate!!

Iconic they may have been to several generations, but gone they are now from regular scheduled service.

Derek

Leaving the gates open and the paddles up and no sign of a boat coming down...........

Those where the days...............

A lot of people wish it was still like that - much more efficient, kinder to the equipment and less work for everyone. (see many previous threads.)

Steve

I think BW originally saw the market as trips into the countryside and the boats were based at places like Uxbridge and Cassio. Whether they actually did much work or were promoted properly is open to some doubt. Of course when John James proved there was more of a market in London several of the boats gravitated to that.

Paul H

Tim

"slow down to the canal pace of no more than 4mph"

Hah! I've seen the film, they must be ploughing along at at least 5mph, and possibly more!!! :lol:

20 mins 30 secs in:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...58&hl=en-GB

Mike

"slow down to the canal pace of no more than 4mph"

Hah! I've seen the film, they must be ploughing along at at least 5mph, and possibly more!!! :lol:

They did press on in those days Mike. When I started on the Regent's in 1976 everyone gave way to the waterbuses, they went so quickly. When I went to work for BWB in 1978 (on Water Rambler) it was exacting to take the boat from Little Venice, wind at Cumberland Basin, stop at the zoo, and get back to Little Venice (4 miles?) to exchange 'round trip' passengers with the next boat departing - within the hour. It was bad enough doing it non-stop from (and back to) the zoo on busy days. I found it amusing though that the navigation authority employed me to break their own speed limit ! Of course the canal is piled throughout and little damage would be caused by the speed in that wide, deep water. The more conscientous skipper would slow down in places to avoid washing the towpath, but others were not so careful. And when someone was in a hurry you might see the moored cabin cruisers at Lisson wide bobbing up and down in the wash of a waterbus ! It seems to have taken an incident when a hire cruiser veered into a overhanging branch while being overtaken by a waterbus in Regent's Park (causing harm to the Insurance Company hirer's daughter) to slow the boats down. From 1979 a slower timetable was introduced and continued (with modifications) to the end of BWB days in 1983.

London Waterbus Company have never timetabled their boats for excessive speed, although the grp Water Buffalo posessed a handy turn of speed (with minimal wash), useful on the Limehouse Day Trips.

Nice mention on Waterscape, thanks Tim.

I seem to recall that the early BWB advertising noted the waterbus to be 'The slowest bus in town' ?!

Steve

Steve

According to 'British Waterways' in house staff magazine, yes 1950. (I am in Bristol and all my boat stuff is at Stockton on Tees at present so I am unable to confirm which issue)

Slightly

:lol:

but I could see in the distance today inside the marina as Cassio Bridge that there is one of those BW round topped conversions of (presumably) a Star class boat to a trip boat.

It has the large false funnel associated with those boats, and is a mixture of white and "maroon".

Does anybody know what it is please.

(It may not be a trip boat any more, but still has the distinctive roof-line from what I could see, (it was right at the back, away from the cut).

Another trip boat oddity remains "Holland" still in "Jason" colours, but for some time now lef in the moorings under the side bridge at Colne Valley sewerage works. (Still has the same yellow pull down canopies as Jason.

Slightly

:lol:

but I could see in the distance today inside the marina as Cassio Bridge that there is one of those BW round topped conversions of (presumably) a Star class boat to a trip boat.

It has the large false funnel associated with those boats, and is a mixture of white and "maroon".

Does anybody know what it is please.

(It may not be a trip boat any more, but still has the distinctive roof-line from what I could see, (it was right at the back, away from the cut).

Another trip boat oddity remains "Holland" still in "Jason" colours, but for some time now lef in the moorings under the side bridge at Colne Valley sewerage works. (Still has the same yellow pull down canopies as Jason.

I would imagine it is probably Water Ouzel (Sun) in London Waterbus Co colours having some work done by P and S Marine.

Holland was converted for tripping by Malcolm Braine for John Milton on the Lea. It was later bought by Jasons Trip and I think is still owned by them and layed up as a spare boat at the "stink hole."

Paul H

I would imagine it is probably Water Ouzel (Sun) in London Waterbus Co colours having some work done by P and S Marine.

Holland was converted for tripping by Malcolm Braine for John Milton on the Lea. It was later bought by Jasons Trip and I think is still owned by them and layed up as a spare boat at the "stink hole."

Paul H

Correct on both there Paul.