Boat Builder

PaulaJ

Featured Posts

Hi All

Consequently I visited Orchard Marina with a view to having one built and was shown round a couple of finished boats with the owners aboard and also two boats in different stages of build. To me the quality was comparable to some and better than most of the second hand boats that I have inspected. From what I have observed the team is not large (about 5) and seem a very friendly bunch. I was told that the fit out takes 4 to 5 weeks and the next slot is May 2010. In fact I have visited twice in a couple of weeks and they were working on different boats on both occasions which tells me that they have a continuity of work. I also have no connection with the builder.

A fit out in 4/5 weeks is substantially different from having a boat built in that time and as Carl pointed out more men involved doesn't mean its a faster process as they get in each others way. Most proprietory companies allow 12 weeks for a quality fit out so my original comment on this thread stands, very sceptical about the OP.

This is going to be my last post on this topic and to be honest my last ever - talk about having your fingers burnt!

I want to state catagorically that i do not, nor ever have had, ANYTHING to do with Collingwood or Orchard until 2 months ago when i started to consider the idea of becoming a liveaboard. Orchard is my local Marina and one at which i would like to live at, IF i make this huge life changing decision.

I would like to say thank you to the members who have offered their honest opinions and as to those who are argumentative and downright untrusting, you should know it is you who have put me off ever posting on a notice board again.

Goodbye

This is going to be my last post on this topic and to be honest my last ever - talk about having your fingers burnt!

I want to state catagorically that i do not, nor ever have had, ANYTHING to do with Collingwood or Orchard until 2 months ago when i started to consider the idea of becoming a liveaboard. Orchard is my local Marina and one at which i would like to live at, IF i make this huge life changing decision.

I would like to say thank you to the members who have offered their honest opinions and as to those who are argumentative and downright untrusting, you should know it is you who have put me off ever posting on a notice board again.

Goodbye

If you didn't want an opinion, why did you ask?

I think it would be a shame to write a forum off when people have offered their honest opinions. It doesnt mean you have to take the advice but you would be wise to take some note of it. There are a lot of people on here who have been boating for many years who can offer you some sound advice and give hints and tips on all aspects of living afloat. You came asking for opinions and you got them. Just because you dont agree with them it doesnt make it bad advice.

If you didn't want an opinion, why did you ask?

From an outsiders POV sometimes the way noobs get jumped on on a bulletin board can come accross as just plain aggressive and nasty - context is a hard thing to determine when it's written down. Sometimes I cringe when I see what's written. Can we give noobs a tiny little bit of leeway? Please?

(I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular here, it's a general observation).

You have no way of knowing from a bb if someone is who they say they are, but I'd prefer it if we didn't 'have a go' at them.

If you Google Collingwood, CWDF threads come up and are not always complimentary. If it was my business I wouldn't be happy about it. If boat builders are posting on here to defend themselves, I don't condone it but I'm not surprised either.

I've also come to the conclusion that if someone has decided to get a new boat built, there's not much you can do to persuade them otherwise. Depsite the risks and expense, for some, nothing but new will do.

Phew!

I hope you're not including me in the argumentative category. I'm offering you advice that you asked for. Six months ago I was in a similar position to you and I thought you'd appreciate it.

Boards are like this. You get used to it. :lol:

Trying to lay guilt trips on people really doesn't work online but good luck whatever you decide to do.

Still waiting for an answer to the OP's question. Is there anyone out there who have had a boat built by Orchard Marina?

Perhaps whilst you are waiting, you would care to answer a few questions.

The fact that a new member asked a question, then fought back against any advice given, then another new member pops up and immediately joins the fray is unusual.

Do you have any connection to either the OP or Liverpool/Collingwood/Orchard?

No, no connection with anyone in the boating world. As stated in my original post I have been using a relative's boat for the last 6 months and have got the bug and am thinking of buying one myself. The second hand market has a load of rubbish so therefore I am thinking new. I visited a couple of builders which included Orchard who are not to far from me, I was very impressed with their product and their payment system which is a £1k down payment, pay for the hull when it arrives which is then yours and then the final payment when the boat is handed over. So I am only interested in hearing from someone who has actually had a boat built by Orchard not the argument of new against second hand. Hope this clears things up for the doubters.

No, no connection with anyone in the boating world. As stated in my original post I have been using a relative's boat for the last 6 months and have got the bug and am thinking of buying one myself. The second hand market has a load of rubbish so therefore I am thinking new. I visited a couple of builders which included Orchard who are not to far from me, I was very impressed with their product and their payment system which is a £1k down payment, pay for the hull when it arrives which is then yours and then the final payment when the boat is handed over. So I am only interested in hearing from someone who has actually had a boat built by Orchard not the argument of new against second hand. Hope this clears things up for the doubters.

Well, unfortunately, this is a forum, and in a forum, people are free to offer whatb opinions they will, and are not restricted to answering only the questions that you pose.

If you want to tell people what they are allowed to discuss in reply to anything you pose, you will have to employ them.

On what basis do you say the above (the highlighted part). How many boats have you visited, How many brokerage yards, How many private sales? There are plenty of very good used boats around that will be a direct comparison of what you are considering brand new. From what i have seen on their website they are offering nothing out of the ordinary that you couldnt pick up from any brokerage nearly new for a substantial saving over new prices. Plus remember asking prices are just that, there is plenty of room for negotiation on asking prices.

The second hand market has a load of rubbish so therefore I am thinking new.

The problem is that most of the rubbish that is second hand was rubbish when new.

Regardless of whether or not I have owned a budget boat, or not, the fact remains that if you buy a budget boat you'll get budget quality and budget resale value.

Pay the same for a quality second hand hull with a decent fit out and you'll probably get your money back, or the bulk of it.

Don't want cruiser stern but not getting into that discussion.

There are plenty of trad and semi-trad sterned boats around a well. Not every boat for sale is a cruiser sterned craft.

You will find many nearly new boats out there that first time buyers have had built and then realised are not what they want/need. Its how it always happens, listen to the brokers and people on here and other forums. They have been there and done it.

I'm actually glad people go out and buy new boats despite the advice and then sell them on two years later. It saved me a fortune and if I get sick of it two years down the line I've lost nothing. :lol:

Actually, that's a bit unfair on the vendors of my boat. It looked like they had a genuine reason for sale.

Bit over priced for a Liverpool Boat, though.

I chose that one because it was the best value (read cheapest for it's age) liverpool boat on there!

:lol: