Reverse Osmosis Units

billS

Featured Posts

if I were a CCer / liveaboards I would probably fit one, partly for peace of mind and partly because I much prefer it...

Nick

Peace of mind from what exactly? I've never had any problems filling up from various water points and as far as I know the water is the same quality as household tap water which I've been drinking all my life.

Because it's stored in a tank, just in case there's anything nasty growing in there, I have a Nature Pure filter with a dedicated tap on my kitchen sink for direct drinking water, but I don't bother about anything else.

If you are really that worried about this sort of thing what are you going to do about all the persistant organic chemicals in the envionment and in your food? Have you got a special filter for the air you breathe? You can't get away from it all so stop worrying.

Edited by blackrose

Peace of mind from what exactly?

From contaminants that may one day find their way to my drinking tap - maybe from someone "messing about" with the tap on the towpath on their way home with their mates from the pub, or someone depositing something in my water tank "for a joke", some microbe that could in the tank after weeks of non-use, something that gets into my hosepipe...

...anyway, I prefer it

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

It sounds like one of the proven 76.834% of statistics that are made up on the spot :lol:

Gibbo

I rarely drink water ( I don't like mixing my drinks - hic ) but I don't think I am suffering from any mineral deficiencies... and I never drink bottled water as it seems a bit dangerous with all that lot apparently in it and it's expensive...

Nick

QUOTE (Nine of Hearts @ Sep 17 2009, 04:58 PM) *

It's generally held that if you're going to drink RO water, you should be taking a mineral supplement.

It does sound a bit daft.

I regularly go on holiday to one of the Greek Islands. The tour reps always advise that tourists don't drink the local water as it has a high mineral content which British tourists might not be used to. So what do people do? - they go out and buy bottled (mineral!!!) water which has a massive long list of all the mineral content. Daft isn't it?

Phil

QUOTE (Nine of Hearts @ Sep 17 2009, 04:58 PM) *

It's generally held that if you're going to drink RO water, you should be taking a mineral supplement.

I regularly go on holiday to one of the Greek Islands. The tour reps always advise that tourists don't drink the local water as it has a high mineral content which British tourists might not be used to. So what do people do? - they go out and buy bottled (mineral!!!) water which has a massive long list of all the mineral content. Daft isn't it?

Phil

There probably more concerned about the possible sewage/potable water supply cross contamination if the truth be known.

There probably more concerned about the possible sewage/potable water supply cross contamination if the truth be known.

Hi tomsk

I can appreciate what you are saying and maybe that might apply to some places in Greece, but where we have stayed that is impossible due to the geography/topography of the island. I suspect the tour companies are just covering there backs in case some client gets food poisoning from a taverna - or more likely has got ill from over-indulgence partaking in too much of the local booze?

Edited by PhilR

Hi tomsk

I can appreciate what you are saying and maybe that might apply to some places in Greece, but where we have stayed that is impossible due to the geography/topography of the island. I suspect the tour companies are just covering there backs in case some client gets food poisoning from a taverna - or more likely has got ill from over-indulgence partaking in too much of the local booze?

Quite possibly, however I have seen some horrors out there and bear in mind that a number of islands still have there water shipped in.

By whom?

References?

Gibbo

Er, I did say "generally". That would mean a lot of people, do you want all their names and addresses?

I think you'll find that if you trawl around, you find more cons than pros, although definitive evidence seems to be lacking. That why I said "it is generally held" rather than "it is". If I said, "it is generally held that there is a god", it does not imply my belief in god, or that he must therefore exist.

Er, I did say "generally". That would mean a lot of people, do you want all their names and addresses?

I think you'll find that if you trawl around, you find more cons than pros, although definitive evidence seems to be lacking. That why I said "it is generally held" rather than "it is". If I said, "it is generally held that there is a god", it does not imply my belief in god, or that he must therefore exist.

Only by the weak minded and needy.

Just their names will do. You must know them to make such a statement.

Gibbo

Is one not allowed to use the phrase "it is generally held" unless one personally knows the majority of the world's population?

Still, I take on board what you are saying, and I will steer clear of quoting published election results until I have gone round and introduced myself to the entire electorate, etc. :lol:

The pubs we use serve very nice draft Bud and Coors.

Oxymoron!

And it's 'draught' in this country (except that you mean 'keg' anyway).

Mains water is generally (that word again) of higher quality than the expensive stuff you buy in bottles. Sometimes it doesn't taste too good, though. We take bottles of Corporation Pop from home to the boat for drinking neat (marina water is very hard) but use water from the tank for tea, coffee, cooking and teeth brushing.

In countries where mains water is iffy, you buy not mineral water but purified (demineralised) water. I'm thinking Thailand and South America, to give two examples. In both those countries the bottled manufactured water tastes perfectly OK, in my experience.

A change in the water affects some people more than others. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly robust constitution - comes of all the rubbish ale I drank as a youngster.

There is a very expensive difference between a RO purifier and a RO desalinator. Ther former is what it's name implies and uses relatively low pressures, 50 psi perhaps, to produce purified water from ordinary tap water, (and fresh canal water presumably), and can cost as little as £100.

A Reverse Osmosis Desalinator, or 'watermaker', uses pressures in the order of 800 psi to produce fresh drinking water from seawater and they start at around £1500. This is the type of unit used by 'blue water' cruising boats that travel to places where water is a precious commodity, and hauling water from a shoreside tap to an anchored boat is a chore.