Hairdryers?

Victoria1

Featured Posts

I am about to embark upon a 2 week boat trip around the lovely Broads this Saturday. There is a 9 volt system on board with 'cigarette lighter' sockets.

I know this may sound frivolous but I am willing to ditch the straighteners for the 2 weeks but I can't manage to look anything like normal without some form of 'hair management'!

I have found a 12 volt cigarette lighter style hairdryer to purchase online, would this work in a 9 volt system for short periods? Or is there a 9 volt alternative that anyone knows of. What do other people do!?

Can anyone help!?

Thanks!!

I am about to embark upon a 2 week boat trip around the lovely Broads this Saturday. There is a 9 volt system on board with 'cigarette lighter' sockets.

I know this may sound frivolous but I am willing to ditch the straighteners for the 2 weeks but I can't manage to look anything like normal without some form of 'hair management'!

I have found a 12 volt cigarette lighter style hairdryer to purchase online, would this work in a 9 volt system for short periods? Or is there a 9 volt alternative that anyone knows of. What do other people do!?

Can anyone help!?

Thanks!!

Just accept that the hair dryer isn't going to be an option.

I think the balaclava might just win this debate! I have however ordered a rather crap looking 12v hairdryer so I shall see what I can do with that. My very own HWMBO might be in for quite a shock when he realises what I actually look like without the straight shiny locks he is used to!

Oh well, I guess I have to embrace the ethos of boating and look like the wild woman of borneo. Or do a 'Monica' and get beads.... :lol:

thanks for all your replies!

Can anyone help!?

Thanks!!

How about a gas powered one:

http://www.ioneat.co.uk/

Tim

Can anyone help!?

Thanks!!

If you rent a boat with a proper engine which has it's exhaust through the roof, you can dry your hair over the exhaust whilst the engine is running.

This works better with a Gardner engine as they burn cleaner and you won't get soot in your hair.

As a bonus you'll smell lovely.

Go on. You know you're worth it.

PS You aren't blonde are you? You won't be for long.

Edited by andywatson

Hi ever considered a gas powered hot brush? Its my secret hair 'weapon' whilst on the canals, boats we have hired vary and most have had the tiny (useless) hairdrier working from the 12v supply with as much oophm, as well a paper fan to be honest, taking a long long time to dry the hair, and mines short!!

I usually wash mine whilst on the move let it dry as is and give it a quick hot brush before going to the pub in the evening.

I actually love the fact that you are on a boat your hair doesn't matter, neither does what you wear or makeup, I love it!!!

Julie

Can anyone help!?

Thanks!!

Hi,I'm on the Broads and reckon that most of the larger hire companys will have hair dryers to rent for the week so try asking your hirer, and regarding 9 volt, never heard of it as a boat voltage least not down here.

Phil

What's wrong with a towel and a hair brush then?

Indeed - it amuses me that whereas many modern electrical products are marketed on their power saving merits, items like hair dryers, microwaves, irons and vacuum cleaners are usually sold on the merits of their obscene levels of power consumption. If there is a non-electric alternative it makes sense to use it - especially on the Broads but all of these items can be used on a boat with a suitable inverter. Nevertheless, in our experience, it is better to choose products that make the most efficient use of power and then try and use them only when the engine is running (as in when cruising) . . .

interesting to see that the replys come in 2 sorts one from men who really do not understand the need for a hairdryer and women that really would like a solution to this most important problem :lol: we have been worrying about this for a bit as with 2 of us doing our hair in the morning the batterys would be dead before we set off :lol: even if we had an inverter big enough to power one. we thought of a travel dryer which is a little lower on power and also love the idea of the gas hot irons will have to invest in one of them i think. a 12v hairdryer came with the boat though it went straght in the bin :lol:

all this to make sure your hair looks fab so that when you stand out the back all day it can get wind swept and wet the joys of boating :lol: