Not getting bitten by insects

madcat

Featured Posts

A question for the anglers walkers and squaddies past and present as well as boaters on this forum.How the hell do I stop myself getting bitten to death by everything that flies and stings and hangs round canals? I have come back from a weekend trip to the vale an itching bundle of misery, a very scabby mad cat.16 plus insect bites on my face and many more in assorted locations are not fun.I even got stung through a rip in my jeans.How do all you good folks stay bite free?Help please.

A question for the anglers walkers and squaddies past and present as well as boaters on this forum.How the hell do I stop myself getting bitten to death by everything that flies and stings and hangs round canals? I have come back from a weekend trip to the vale an itching bundle of misery, a very scabby mad cat.16 plus insect bites on my face and many more in assorted locations are not fun.I even got stung through a rip in my jeans.How do all you good folks stay bite free?Help please.

Have heard that eating lots of lemons helps as they don't like the smell that subsequently emanates through your pores. Have also heard that bovril/marmite may have similar effect. Can't personally vouch for either theory, however. Suck it and see?

Have heard that eating lots of lemons helps as they don't like the smell that subsequently emanates through your pores. Have also heard that bovril/marmite may have similar effect. Can't personally vouch for either theory, however. Suck it and see?

The lemon or the marmite/bovril? :lol:

Seriously, though. Some people tend to be more yummie to insects than other. Why is that?

I rarely get bitten, but I have been out with people who end up with a mass of bites.

I rarely get bitten, but I have been out with people who end up with a mass of bites.

Apparently (another unsubstantiated claim, in other words) we all get bitten the same amount, it's just that some people don't react as badly. You would appear to have a metabolism that reacts stoically to intrusion whereas mine gets a bit hysterical and I swell up like an balloon. [Currently sporting an impressive bubo on lower face after having been sucked by a tiny midge].

Apparently (another unsubstantiated claim, in other words) we all get bitten the same amount, it's just that some people don't react as badly. You would appear to have a metabolism that reacts stoically to intrusion whereas mine gets a bit hysterical and I swell up like an balloon. [Currently sporting an impressive bubo on lower face after having been sucked by a tiny midge].

Krankies_228x336.jpg

Richard

Groooo!

Jungle juice is the answer... or make sure you always have someone with you who is bitten... then you won't be. You could hire out your 'being bit' services to those of us who need it.

Oh dear, this isn't sounding quite right... it must be the new shiney red car that is doing it....

Jungle juice is the answer... or make sure you always have someone with you who is bitten... then you won't be. You could hire out your 'being bit' services to those of us who need it.

Oh dear, this isn't sounding quite right... it must be the new shiney red car that is doing it....

I'm the one you see in August with my trousers tucked inside my socks and a long sleeve hooded top to keep the little nippers away worst count was 108 bites in one night !!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should go out and buy a shiny new car :lol:

OK, there are two schools of thought on this.

First is to buy the nastiest, most poisonous repellent that you can find, in other words cover yourself in DEET. Some swear it works, others swear the insects love it.

The second is cheaper, and my experience is that it works better than anything. Avon "Skin so Soft" mousturising cream (apparently Avon have got wind of the eficacy of their product and now market it as a bug repellent)

I try to sit next to people like you! :lol:

Full bee keeping suit. I used to get bitten like mad as a kid then it stopped,just the odd bite.perhaps because i no longer like sweet things.Periton tablets take the itch out of the odd bite i get.

Edited by greywolf

Fins your local Avon rep..

and ask for the Avon skin so-soft woodland moisturiser - easily applied white stuff - cover all exposed skin... ankles etc..

It contains citronella which 99.9% of bugs dont like,,,

it has a pleasnt neutral smell so can be comfortably worn by blokes tooo!!

been using for years with good results....

and ask for the Avon skin so-soft woodland moisturiser - easily applied white stuff - cover all exposed skin... ankles etc..

I read that thinking how is an inflatable boat going to help :lol:

The avon stuff is really only any good for midgies (it's long been a fixture with gillies and foresters in Scotland). It isn't so much a repellent as it provides a barrier to the midge. Proper insects like mozzies and horseflies just burrow on in regarless. I don't like using DEET continuously, but I do use it if big biting insects are likely to be a problem. I barely react to horseflies ( a common Shropshire canal fixture), but mrs Toad swells up like a balloon if one happens to sneeze near her, and she's very quick on the DEET. Citronella is ok, but it doesn't really cut it with serious biters. I also have a head net (bought for Scottish climbing, but has been seen on occasional still summer towpath evenings)

I read that thinking how is an inflatable boat going to help :lol:

ROFL

Seriously, Avon Skin So Soft is highly recommended by all my friends who live or holiday in Greece. I might test it out myself in October - the missus has bought a load of it.

The avon stuff is really only any good for midgies (it's long been a fixture with gillies and foresters in Scotland). It isn't so much a repellent as it provides a barrier to the midge. Proper insects like mozzies and horseflies just burrow on in regarless. I don't like using DEET continuously, but I do use it if big biting insects are likely to be a problem. I barely react to horseflies ( a common Shropshire canal fixture), but mrs Toad swells up like a balloon if one happens to sneeze near her, and she's very quick on the DEET. Citronella is ok, but it doesn't really cut it with serious biters. I also have a head net (bought for Scottish climbing, but has been seen on occasional still summer towpath evenings)

Always worked against mozzies and flying ants for me.

perhaps I don't taste nice.

Seriously, Avon Skin So Soft is highly recommended by all my friends who live or holiday in Greece. I might test it out myself in October - the missus has bought a load of it.

Used it in India a few years ago and I wasn't bitten once. :lol:

We also take one of those plug-in anti-mosquito jobbies and plug it in before we depart for the pub each evening. Latter day Booze Cruise. :lol: