What's so wrong with Springers ?

JonL

Featured Posts

So what’s so wrong with Springers ?

My passion for all things “waterways” related has been re-ignited after some years, perhaps it’s the children leaving home and getting some time back from my duties as an un-paid taxi service.

I’ve been reading this forum daily for about 8 weeks now to gain knowledge before I open my wallet. On a regular basis I come across derogatory comments about “Springers”, which without any background I don’t understand.

So can anyone in reasonably laymen terms tell me the history of Springers and what’s so wrong with them please, so I can get the joke each time I read it.

Are they to boating what McDonalds is to fine dining?

Many thanks

So what’s so wrong with Springers ?

Nothing, really.

They were built as a cheap 'n cheerful way of getting afloat, and they're getting on a bit now. They aren't the prettiest of shells (although some folk love them), and they usually only had 6mm plate for the hulls, so corrosion (particularly bearing in mind their age) is something to look out for.

But if you find a well cared for Springer with a nice interior and a sound hull (the hull of course being the most important part of any boat), if it's the right price, and you and your surveyor like it, then go for it.

Regards,

Tony :lol:

Nothing wrong with Springers

They did exactly what they say on the tin (no pun intended). They were a budget boat that got a lot of people on to the canals.

As a budget boat, they suffered from snobbery.

Some have since died, but what surprises most people is that these resilient craft are still going strong after many years. Almost to the point of a cult following.

Long may the continue.

springers are the canal equivalent of reliant robins cheap and cheerful and do the job

More like the equivalent of Austin 1100's. Popular and plentiful at one time. Now cheap, neglected, unfashionable and prone to their own special problems that can be comparatively expensive to fix.

Richard

I agree with Steve.

Generally they had a lighter construction than other steel shells being built at the time, but actually seem to weather the ravages of time rather better than other types that were considered more upmarket, (e.g. Harborough Marine).

Despite what some would see as unappealing lines, the hull "design", usually with a vee bottom, is actually surprisingly efficient, and even when equipped with quite small engines, they can often nip between locks a great deal faster than many of the "flat bottom" narrowboat types. (I certainly couldn't keep up with a sub 40 foot one with a BMC 1500 in, and we are quite fast if we want to be).

Ignore the snobbery, but condition is everything. There are some remarkably good ones, at keen prices. There are equally attempts to sell others at prices that are astronomic for what they are.

Only a small percentage will have been built after 1990, but the lion's share of those being marketed claim to be post-1990. Go figure!

Generally they had a lighter construction than other steel shells being built at the time, but actually seem to weather the ravages of time rather better than other types that were considered more upmarket, (e.g. Harborough Marine).

Careful Mr Fincher! :lol:

PC

They did exactly what they say on the tin (no pun intended). They were a budget boat that got a lot of people on to the canals.

Some have since died, but what surprises most people is that these resilient craft are still going strong after many years. Almost to the point of a cult following.

Long may the continue.

Exactly, it seems odd to complain of a springers quality of build when you see so many around still going strong after 20-30 years.

The v shaped hull can loose you some head height at the sides. I met Joe Springer many years ago whilst working on one of his boats, and he was surprised at how well they were faring, and reconed a new lease of life could possibly be gained by simply filling the bottom with concrete, He was obviously totaly dedicated to ensuring cheep quality boating for people!

Long may the continue.

:lol: Ditto

Exactly, it seems odd to complain of a springers quality of build when you see so many around still going strong after 20-30 years.

Whilst I am a great closet supporter of Springers (he says, sat in his Hudson with its 15mm base plate sat on the bottom of the cut)

Not all of them were 'great' and a good many of them have died.

I knew of one chap who's single cylinder Yanmar vibrated so much that it cracked a weld on the hull. And that was when it wasn't that old (< 5 years)

But I do have a soft spot for them

Whilst I am a great closet supporter of Springers (he says, sat in his Hudson with its 15mm base plate sat on the bottom of the cut)

Not all of them were 'great' and a good many of them have died.

I knew of one chap who's single cylinder Yanmar vibrated so much that it cracked a weld on the hull. And that was when it wasn't that old (< 5 years)

But I do have a soft spot for them

:lol: Bloody hell Steve I too am sat on my Hudson with its 15 mil baseplate...........I dont follow your thread tho, surely 15 mil is the industry standard could it be possible to start with a lesser thickness ? You will be telling us all next that some boats are built without a keelson and then we will all know you are fibbing... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm new to all this and coincidentally am about to buy a 30 year old wooden top Springer. Yes I know....I can hear sharp intakes of breath all round, but surely it's about personal preferences and how much!! ( thats a well known Yorkshire saying). I must say that there is very little info on the web about these boats, and if anyone can point me in the right direction of information I'd be eternally grateful. I can also hear mutterings about Wooden tops on a Springer, or any other type of boat. I say its a Springer as it says so on the BSS and survey, but can find no makers plate.....can anyone help there also? Looking forward to happy times and hard work.....cheers :lol:

Edited by daves6guitars

I've been looking at a lot of Springers lately as Mrs. Athy have decided to buy a cheap one to play with and to "do up" and I have seen no wooden-top ones at all. I suspect that "Springer" is these days sometimes used as a generic term for "cheap old narrowboat". Incidentally, not all of them have the "moustaches"; in particular, 1990s ones often don't.

Who was/ is Joe Springer? Son of the firm's founder Sam? I would be interested in getting in touch with him; for a company which did (and whose boats still do) so much to introduce people to affordable baoting, they are woefully under-documented and I am sure he could fill in many historical details. I did find what claimed to be a "Springer blog spot" on the internet but I think the blogger had written one day's worth and given up. Hope he hasn't sunk.

Well I'm new to all this and coincidentally am about to buy a 30 year old wooden top Springer. Yes I know....I can hear sharp intakes of breath all round, but surely it's about personal preferences and how much!! ( thats a well known Yorkshire saying). I must say that there is very little info on the web about these boats, and if anyone can point me in the right direction of information I'd be eternally grateful. I can also hear mutterings about Wooden tops on a Springer, or any other type of boat. I say its a Springer as it says so on the BSS and survey, but can find no makers plate.....can anyone help there also? Looking forward to happy times and hard work.....cheers :lol:

It might not actually BE a proper Springer-built hull, i.e. Springer also sold kits for the DIY market IIRC. All the bits of steel arrived on a lorry nicely cut to shape. All the buyer had to do was get a second-hand arc welder and stick it all together. This may explain the absence of a builder's plate.

Cheers, Mike

I've been looking at a lot of Springers lately as Mrs. Athy have decided to buy a cheap one to play with and to "do up" and I have seen no wooden-top ones at all. I suspect that "Springer" is these days sometimes used as a generic term for "cheap old narrowboat". Incidentally, not all of them have the "moustaches"; in particular, 1990s ones often don't.

Who was/ is Joe Springer? Son of the firm's founder Sam? I would be interested in getting in touch with him; for a company which did (and whose boats still do) so much to introduce people to affordable baoting, they are woefully under-documented and I am sure he could fill in many historical details. I did find what claimed to be a "Springer blog spot" on the internet but I think the blogger had written one day's worth and given up. Hope he hasn't sunk.

But they would be all steel

Thanks for reply....see...I told you I was new to all this, would appreciate an explanation of a moustache, presumably some mark or arrangement of bow fender ( probably not)

They have a distinctive plate welded to the bow that makes them look like they have a tache.

It might not actually BE a proper Springer-built hull, i.e. Springer also sold kits for the DIY market IIRC. All the bits of steel arrived on a lorry nicely cut to shape. All the buyer had to do was get a second-hand arc welder and stick it all together. This may explain the absence of a builder's plate.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for reply....see...I told you I was new to all this, would appreciate an explanation of a moustache, presumably some mark or arrangement of bow fender ( probably not)

Have a look at the Apollo Duck web site, Dave - put "Apollo Duck Springer" into your search engine and you will see numerous examples of the breed in all their ungainly glory - and most of them proudly sporting their "moustaches" (which may be correctly termed barge boards, though I may be mistaken about this). But be warned, you may end up making an offer for one of them!

I say its a Springer as it says so on the BSS and survey, but can find no makers plate.....can anyone help there also? Looking forward to happy times and hard work.....cheers :lol:

I'm not sure how many Springers (if any!) had builders plates on them.

I kind of assume they were just recognised by their appearance, and that Springs would probably not have stretched to the expense of a plate.

I've not heard of DIY steel kits from them to "roll your own", but it's sonds entirely likely.

There were other builders sometimes credited with "Springer based" boats, but I don't know how close to a Springer they looked. (Faulkners at Cosgrove, I have seen so described, for instance, not that I can claim to having knowingly seen a "Faulkner").

I'm not sure how many Springers (if any!) had builders plates on them.

I kind of assume they were just recognised by their appearance, and that Springs would probably not have stretched to the expense of a plate.

I've not heard of DIY steel kits from them to "roll your own", but it's sonds entirely likely.

There were other builders sometimes credited with "Springer based" boats, but I don't know how close to a Springer they looked. (Faulkners at Cosgrove, I have seen so described, for instance, not that I can claim to having knowingly seen a "Faulkner").

Some early Severn Valley boats were pretty close copies, right down to the "facial hair"!