Working boats

boatboss

Featured Posts

Hi are there any working boats coming to Festival at Redhill. We on Python which will be moored near slipway at workshops need to look at how people fit there cloths. Python has been repainted in blue and yellow and now has full ultrasound and BSS certificates, new side doors, weed hatch etc.

She will move up to Chesterfield Canal between 15th to 17th September for a grand welcome to her new home party on 19th September 10am West Stockwith basin

Boatboss

Hi are there any working boats coming to Festival at Redhill. We on Python which will be moored near slipway at workshops need to look at how people fit there cloths. Python has been repainted in blue and yellow and now has full ultrasound and BSS certificates, new side doors, weed hatch etc.

She will move up to Chesterfield Canal between 15th to 17th September for a grand welcome to her new home party on 19th September 10am West Stockwith basin

Boatboss

Fulbourne will be there and we are heading as far up the Chesterfield as we can get afterwards. We will however probably have left the area by the 15th September.

Tim

Narrow Boat Trust's Town Class Nuneaton and Brighton left Leicester yesterday, bound initially for Sawley to get the new range on the butty sorted with a new flue and will return to get a decent mooring at the National this weekend. They aren't clothed up at present, except for the cratches and I don't think there will be much more than the top planks up and side cloths tied upto them to support the new exhibition banners.

But there was a very good video on this site a couple of months back which, if my poor memory is correct, shows a staged clothing up in the late 40's which was very good in the way the skipper and spouse worked together to tie the side cloth strings and open and laid out the cloths. They made it look real easy, considering this was real canvas. I think they must have practiced first....

Narrow Boat Trust's Town Class Nuneaton and Brighton left Leicester yesterday, bound initially for Sawley to get the new range on the butty sorted with a new flue and will return to get a decent mooring at the National this weekend. They aren't clothed up at present, except for the cratches and I don't think there will be much more than the top planks up and side cloths tied upto them to support the new exhibition banners.

But there was a very good video on this site a couple of months back which, if my poor memory is correct, shows a staged clothing up in the late 40's which was very good in the way the skipper and spouse worked together to tie the side cloth strings and open and laid out the cloths. They made it look real easy, considering this was real canvas. I think they must have practiced first....

If NUNEATON and BRIGHTON are empty then they shouldn't be clothed up ! (and they should have their cratches up, and they should learn how to put up a cratch !). I do not understand why The Narrow Boat Trust insist on boating fully clothed up, or even top planks and side cloths up when they are empty (I put it down to lazy steerers who can't be bothered about presentation and best practice). Perhaps this helps to explain why they sometimes get into such difficulty.

Clothing up is "real easy". Its not about practising its about learning the best (and easy) way in the first place.

(apologies to "boatboss" as I should not be using his thread to slag off The Narrow Boat Trust - but they do drive me mad !)

Edited by pete harrison

i wouldn't look at their clothing up if they have as much idea about that as they have of boating!

:lol: Now now hamsterfan dont be so stroppy though I must agree the words Working boat are much misused today as many if not all these boats are steered by people who live in houses and have done very little boating and that nearly all in the summer. We had a lovely looking old wooden pair here last month and the people on board dressed in period costume who then moored next to my boat where it is stated NO MOORING, I politely informed them it was a private mooring to which they sniffed the air and proceeded to go into their back cabin and ignore me. They soon realised their mistake and after I explained the facts of life to them they moved on !! I love to see old boats but why do so many seem to be manned by such plonkers ? :lol:

:lol: Now now hamsterfan dont be so stroppy though I must agree the words Working boat are much misused today as many if not all these boats are steered by people who live in houses and have done very little boating and that nearly all in the summer. We had a lovely looking old wooden pair here last month and the people on board dressed in period costume who then moored next to my boat where it is stated NO MOORING, I politely informed them it was a private mooring to which they sniffed the air and proceeded to go into their back cabin and ignore me. They soon realised their mistake and after I explained the facts of life to them they moved on !! I love to see old boats but why do so many seem to be manned by such plonkers ? :lol:

Was the mooring empty because the regular boat is away cruising, or just off for a few hour? I have found that many people on the Southern Oxford will permit an overnight visitor on their mooring when they are away, if suitablly monitored by a neighbour.

I agree they should have asked first, but the offer could have been made, rather than them being effectively told to clear off., It is actually quite difficult to find 72 ft of deep mooring on the Oxford at the best of times.

Was the mooring empty because the regular boat is away cruising, or just off for a few hour? I have found that many people on the Southern Oxford will permit an overnight visitor on their mooring when they are away, if suitablly monitored by a neighbour.

I agree they should have asked first, but the offer could have been made, rather than them being effectively told to clear off., It is actually quite difficult to find 72 ft of deep mooring on the Oxford at the best of times.

It is a very tricky issue.

You could put forward the same argument about scarcity of good mooring where we are, and indeed in the past we have occasionally turned a blind eye to those who have simply pitched up without so much as a by-your leave, or even said yes when asked.

Unfortunately, our generosity was repeatedly repaid with extremely poor behaviour from the visitors, so the answer is now "no".

Our mooring is behind an 8ft fence, and secure from all sides apart from the canal. We have had at least two cases of people mooring up for the night without asking, and the discovery the following day that items had been stolen from the mooring.

I the case of people who asked, we had one boat load who moored up at 5pm, then said they wanted to go out to the pub for a bite to eat, and could we let them out of the gate. They returned at well past midnight, drunk, and shouting to be let back in.

We then had the boat with the dog, or rather the boat that arrived without a dog. Shortly after arrival and blagging a spot, they came out with "our mate is coming to join us by train, could anybody help us to pick him up from the station? OK, so its cheeky, but I offered to do so. Just as we are about to set off, he says "you might want to take some stuff out of the back for the dog". Sorry, but no, I aint piccking anybody up with a dog. Our dogs wouldn't approve! So, their mate has to walk the 15 minutes from the station with dog.

The following morning, I'm walking our dogs round the yard when a bloody great big slavering beast bounds off their boat, and goes for our dogs. With as much politeness as she can muster Bev asks that the dog be put on a lead, saying "none of the moorers allow their dogs off the lead here, and I do expect you to follow suit". With some ill grace, he puts the dog on a lead.

As soon as Bev goes below, he lets the dog off again, at which point, I've had enough, and tell him that he has abused the hospitality that was shown to him, and that he is leaving now.

So, I'm not kindly disposed to such requests, and even less so with people who assume it as of right,

And why oh why do they have to dress up ?

Phil

Some people just like to re-enact the past for their own pleasure because it takes them far away from the day job, others because at public events it displays a costume relative to the period associated with the boat. A few think they are the dogs wotsits because they like a bit of play acting, and they generally make themselves look silly by wearing quite irrelevant garb and acting like snobs.

On occasions I get back into my bus drivers uniform from the late sixties when I get the opportunity to drive a classic bus of the type I once drove in service, not because I want to 'feel' important, but because it is authentic to the vehicle and part of supplying a service as it used to be supplied. Of course there was no 'uniform' as such for boaters, they wore whatever was available - with a leaning to what was comfortable and practical - or if you were young, different, like 'Kiss me Quick' cowboy hats. :lol:

Personally I have a great liking for waistcoats. The more worn out, the better.

Derek

On occasions I get back into my bus drivers uniform from the late sixties...

Derek

I just wish I could get into the clothes I wore in the '60s! Narrow waisted, narrow hipped and fitted shirts. Just a dream now!

Edited by Paul Evans

:lol: Hi David

The mooring is were our two day boats go and they were due back, There are umpteen signs saying No mooring etc but some people pretend not to see them. I was at the time and always am polite and explained the situation but they attempted to shrug me off and disapear into their boat, I have to say this was their biggest mistake, I am actualy a nice and very helpfull chap whenever I can help i do so but when people like that attempt to pee up my back they invariably come a poor second and they were left in no uncertain terms knowing were they and their boats were going to end up. I would like also to say there are quite considerable amounts of moorings with plenty of depth on the south oxford I could show you many hundreds of yards the fact is they are not all smack bang in the middle of some village or town which is where everyone seems to think they need to moor.

It is a very tricky issue.

You could put forward the same argument about scarcity of good mooring where we are, and indeed in the past we have occasionally turned a blind eye to those who have simply pitched up without so much as a by-your leave, or even said yes when asked.

Unfortunately, our generosity was repeatedly repaid with extremely poor behaviour from the visitors, so the answer is now "no".

Our mooring is behind an 8ft fence, and secure from all sides apart from the canal. We have had at least two cases of people mooring up for the night without asking, and the discovery the following day that items had been stolen from the mooring.

I the case of people who asked, we had one boat load who moored up at 5pm, then said they wanted to go out to the pub for a bite to eat, and could we let them out of the gate. They returned at well past midnight, drunk, and shouting to be let back in.

We then had the boat with the dog, or rather the boat that arrived without a dog. Shortly after arrival and blagging a spot, they came out with "our mate is coming to join us by train, could anybody help us to pick him up from the station? OK, so its cheeky, but I offered to do so. Just as we are about to set off, he says "you might want to take some stuff out of the back for the dog". Sorry, but no, I aint piccking anybody up with a dog. Our dogs wouldn't approve! So, their mate has to walk the 15 minutes from the station with dog.

The following morning, I'm walking our dogs round the yard when a bloody great big slavering beast bounds off their boat, and goes for our dogs. With as much politeness as she can muster Bev asks that the dog be put on a lead, saying "none of the moorers allow their dogs off the lead here, and I do expect you to follow suit". With some ill grace, he puts the dog on a lead.

As soon as Bev goes below, he lets the dog off again, at which point, I've had enough, and tell him that he has abused the hospitality that was shown to him, and that he is leaving now.

So, I'm not kindly disposed to such requests, and even less so with people who assume it as of right,

There is a difference between attempting to stay overnight on a vacant locked offside mooring, and seeking to use vacant towpath permitted mooring overnight. Personally I would not seek to "borrow" a mooring on a locked offside site, unless I had made a prior arrangement,

There are several long stretches of Towpath Permitted Moorings on the Southern Oxford, and I have always been permitted to stay overnight with permission of either the Moorings Warden, or a neighbouring boat. When I occupied a Towpath Permitted mooring, I used to erect a small sign indicatiang that boats could stay overnight, and I know from other boaters on the stretch that this offer was often taken up gratefully, particularyly by Hirers, who had perhaps left it a little too late to find a vacant visitors mooring.

I am now on a Private offside mooring, and there is plenty of 14 day towpath mooring in the area. Nevertheless, I would have no objection to someone using it overnight, providing they cleared it with the Moorings Caretaker first.

Edited by David Schweizer

i wouldn't look at their clothing up if they have as much idea about that as they have of boating!

Ah... it's the 'sneering perfectionist' brigade again, who think they know everything about boating!

Well 'Hamsterfan', why don't you explain yourself? give us examples of our "idea of boating"

As for Pete harrison, it's only what i expect from him.

As it happens, the boats have had their cloths and top planks down all the way from Braunston - it would be madness to travel with even side cloths with the recent wind.

Why don't you give other boats the same grief - ie David Lowe on Swallow (A much respected boater and rightly so) allways travels with all the cloths up.

Get a life you saddos!!!

peace & happiness y'all,

Dan Gereaux

Boatboss

hello Python. we would be more than glad to show you how our ( Narrow Boat Trust's Nuneaton and Brighton) boats (mooring C10) are clothed up. Just be prepared for the sneering perfectionist brigade to say "you don't want to do it like that....."

There are, as usual, several 'correct' ways to cloth up boats but as with knots, as long as they do the job and you can undo them quickly and easily that's all there is to it!

All the best, see you at the National,

Dan

Ah... it's the 'sneering perfectionist' brigade again, who think they know everything about boating!

Well 'Hamsterfan', why don't you explain yourself? give us examples of our "idea of boating"

As for Pete harrison, it's only what i expect from him.

As it happens, the boats have had their cloths and top planks down all the way from Braunston - it would be madness to travel with even side cloths with the recent wind.

Why don't you give other boats the same grief - ie David Lowe on Swallow (A much respected boater and rightly so) allways travels with all the cloths up.

Get a life you saddos!!!

peace & happiness y'all,

Dan Gereaux

hello Python. we would be more than glad to show you how our ( Narrow Boat Trust's Nuneaton and Brighton) boats (mooring C10) are clothed up. Just be prepared for the sneering perfectionist brigade to say "you don't want to do it like that....."

There are, as usual, several 'correct' ways to cloth up boats but as with knots, as long as they do the job and you can undo them quickly and easily that's all there is to it!

All the best, see you at the National,

Dan

:lol: Hi Dan

Just a quick mention re your posts, if u want to be heard please say who you are, age etc etc on your profile as you have zero credibility if u dare not back your replies up with your identity. Also to all and sundry please dont use the words Working Boat when you refer to some lovely old boat that years ago may or may not have worked for a living and rather save it for todays TRUE working boats that ply their trade such as Mark on Dusty who plies his trade summer and winter on the south oxford, he like a mere few others are TRUE working boats.

:lol: Hi Dan

Just a quick mention re your posts, if u want to be heard please say who you are, age etc etc on your profile as you have zero credibility if u dare not back your replies up with your identity. Also to all and sundry please dont use the words Working Boat when you refer to some lovely old boat that years ago may or may not have worked for a living and rather save it for todays TRUE working boats that ply their trade such as Mark on Dusty who plies his trade summer and winter on the south oxford, he like a mere few others are TRUE working boats.

Hi Dan

Just wanted to say that the above does not represent the only point of view on this forum. As far as I and many other members are concerned what your name or age is doesn't matter, your credibility or otherwise comes solely from the content of your posts. Personally, I always have more respect for people who try to write in proper sentences and not say 'u' for 'you', and also those who don't try to lay down the law on the basis of their personal preferences. Strictly accurate or not, the term 'working boats' is widely accepted to refer to former working boats, and most people will understand it as that. (Although I promise not to refer to Chertsey as such)

Edited by WarriorWoman

Hi Dan

Just wanted to say that the above does not represent the only point of view on this forum. As far as I and many other members are concerned what your name or age is doesn't matter, your credibility or otherwise comes solely from the content of your posts. Personally, I always have more respect for people who try to write in proper sentences and not say 'u' for 'you', and also those who don't try to lay down the law on the basis of their personal preferences. Strictly accurate or not, the term 'working boats' is widely accepted to refer to former working boats, and most people will understand it as that. (Although I promise not to refer to Chertsey as such)

Well said!

Hi Dan

:lol: Soz about that dunno warever cem oer me, must reemember to spell rait int future its so utterlry important tha nos of course depending on how u look at life in general........... :lol:

no i think you've got that badge covered :lol:

i've probably done more boating than anyone on the "working boats" only difference is i don't have to strup around in a costume looking big"!

Get a life you saddos!!!

Dan Gereaux

you could do the same!!

Hi Dan

Also agree 100%.

Don't be put off by such adverse comment, "Dan"!

no i think you've got that badge covered :lol:

i've probably done more boating than anyone on the "working boats" only difference is i don't have to strup around in a costume looking big"!

you could do the same!!

Hamsterfan you are at it again winding theses poor folk up, got to agree wiv ya tho, it is true to say that many of hirers ( Did I spell that rait ) I deal with have more boating experience than many X working boat types have.

But no matter it is after all only trivia and of no consequence to life, a bit like spellin I spose... :lol: