Daft comments/questions

andywatson

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

We were working our way down Bank Newton locks today. A middle aged couple watched intently while I shut the top gate then opened up the paddles on the bottom gates. "Excuse me" said the gentleman "does the water automatically start flowing out when you close the gates"

I did feel like saying "yes - I only opened up the paddles for a bit of exercise" but resisted and gently explained the workings of a lock

:lol:

At the parade of historic boats at Braunston, a woman next to me asked "Why do they let that boat take part in the parade when its engine is misfiring so badly?" (it was a single-pot Bolinder)

On the Stratford canal, an American on a local hireboat insisted to me that when they were first built, the lock by-washes were there so that a paddle-wheel powered by the water below the bottom paddles as the lock was emptied, could push the water back up the by-wash to refill the pound above.

Can I re-nominate....

"I see you are letting her do all the hard work", irrespective of whether herself is on steering or locking duties.

What would I have to do to be considered as doing the hard work ? Both, whilst she shouts commands ?

I've done both whilst she watched Wimbledon men's final.... :lol:

Out at the weekend for a short trip into Berkhamsted to give the engine a shakedown after the work that the OH has been doing on it. I was approached by some interested people at Broadwater lock - we had a bit of a discussion about boats generally, and I said that OH had been doing some work on the engine.

"Oh, so I suppose you have had to have it out of the water for him to get underneath the engine then?"

A few years ago we were having a cup of tea moored up between North Parade Bridge and Pulteney Weir. The moorings were pretty much all taken up, in fact another boat tied up to us late the previous evening.

Midday approached and a stream of tourists (mostly American) strolled up and down the towpath. We had the usual questions (which are fair enough I guess) Can you live on it? How fast can it go? But the best one was (while pointing at the weir) "Are you waiting for the waterfall to stop before you can go any further?" :lol:

Now THAT I would like to see!

Lunch time, at work: I help myself to a slice of ham, and a colleague asks:

'Oh, you're eating ham? I thought you were a vegetarian!'

'No', I reply 'I love eating meat! Whatever made you think I was a veggie?'

'Well, you live on a boat, so I thought you must be a vegetarian'...

Edited by Black Ibis

Lunch time, at work: I help myself to a slice of ham, and a colleague asks:

'Oh, you're eating ham? I thoight you were a vegetarian!'

'No', I reply 'I love eating meat! Whatever made you think I was a veggie?'

'Well, you live on a boat, so I thought you must be a vegetarian'...

lol :lol:

Guy on the Ashby last week says to me this is a fast moving canal. Hadn't got a clue what he was on about until after he left. The wind speed had created ripples which in turn were moving giving the impression of flow, 4 knot tide on the Ashby worth seeing!!

Asked to the original poster himself after very kindly offering to show me around his Northwhich...

Do you drink, i'll put a few cans in the boot for you before setting off? :lol:

Asking a boater if they drink... come on!

Cheers Andy

(Edited to re-spell Northwhich, sorry must be the stack of empties beside the laptop... hick... hick...)

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

Asked to the original poster himself after very kindly offering to show me around his Northwhich...

Do you drink, i'll put a few cans in the boot for you before setting off? :lol:

Asking a boater if they drink... come on!

Cheers Andy

(Edited to re-spell Northwhich, sorry must be the stack of empties beside the laptop... hick... hick...)

Very nice they were too thanks. Hic.

Coming down the Oxford towards Hawkesbury last week I received a mouthful of abuse from a fisherman whose line I had cut with my prop. He was sat behind the remains of a brick wall in the bushes and wearing camouflaged clothing. I apologised but stated if he did not want boats to run over his gear he should make himself more noticeable. He carried on with his colourful description of my boating skills stating that I should have seen his bright red (half submerged) float in the water.

I replied by asking him if he had seen my 60ft 18 tonne bright red narrowboat approaching?

The conversation seemed to stall at this point.

We had the same thing on the Stourbridge Canal, a chap fishing on the offside behind a wall............

"Didn't you see my rod?"

"Didn't you see our boat?" :lol:

A couple of years ago we hired a boat from Napton which had a sliding sun roof. Whilst waiting for a lock a couple strolled by and the man asked me how much we could extend our boat by and how lucky to have a boat that we could make smaller so we could fit the smaller locks!! :lol: Boy how we laughed.

Julie