Jam Ole Run 2010

The Boatman

Featured Posts

Tarporley Charter or not, those who go as 'passengers' must be aware of the pace that will be set, with 4am starts and 10pm tying up. Stop for a beer and you will be left behind and cease to be part of the Jam'Ole run and become just another boat cruising southwards (or northwards) :lol:

For many of the participants it is a challenge of endurance on both crew and boats in striving to emulate the old methods and pace of the working boat days. Although no cargo is carried, the objective is considered quite seriously by some and I suppose too many different boats could defuse the exercise.

See Mike Askin's excellent videos (an endurance challenge if there ever was one!) of the last run to get an idea if this sort of perverse pleasure is for you!

http://www.vimeo.com/3091259

OK, Tom says we should email him direct if we're interested, so I will, although in the past I have had no success in contacting him this way (when making enquiries about last year's run, for example).

But there's nothing to stop us discussing it here amongst ourselves too, so...

I would definitely be keen to participate, obviously now with Chertsey, although it would still be good if we could find a way to get Tarporley involved, maybe by negotiating a charter if enough people were interested and prepared to pay a few quid. (Note for those who don't know, Tarporley is now a community boat and available for private hire. I doubt the committee would want to go off on a trip that incurred expenses without some income, but as it's outside the main summer hiring period it might be possible to do a deal. It can take up to 12 passengers plus three crew, at least two of whom have to be from the organisation)

I'm rather up for this, because I've never been on a "proper" boat before... :lol:

Tarporley Charter or not, those who go as 'passengers' must be aware of the pace that will be set, with 4am starts and 10pm tying up. Stop for a beer and you will be left behind and cease to be part of the Jam'Ole run and become just another boat cruising southwards (or northwards) :lol:

For many of the participants it is a challenge of endurance on both crew and boats in striving to emulate the old methods and pace of the working boat days. Although no cargo is carried, the objective is considered quite seriously by some and I suppose too many different boats could defuse the exercise.

See Mike Askin's excellent videos (an endurance challenge if there ever was one!) of the last run to get an idea if this sort of perverse pleasure is for you!

http://www.vimeo.com/3091259

Nope, you've still not put me off! :lol:

I would definitely be keen to participate, obviously now with Chertsey, although it would still be good if we could find a way to get Tarporley involved, maybe by negotiating a charter if enough people were interested and prepared to pay a few quid. (Note for those who don't know, Tarporley is now a community boat and available for private hire. I doubt the committee would want to go off on a trip that incurred expenses without some income, but as it's outside the main summer hiring period it might be possible to do a deal. It can take up to 12 passengers plus three crew, at least two of whom have to be from the organisation)

Isn't there a problem that Tarporley is based in London, so you'd have to go King's Cross to Coventry, back to London, then to Coventry again and finally back to London?

MP.

Why? London to Atherstone and back to Bulls Bridge and thence home or am I missing something

The Tarporley idea seems a good one, to allow as many to go as is possible. Perhaps the Great Helmsman could do some costings?

For some reason I thought that the Run was there and back. Maybe it was Mike Askin's video that gave me that impression, or Carl's comment: "The great thing about the Jam'ole run is that you turn round and come straight back." Indeed London to Atherstone and back would be more sensible. I'd certainly consider doing that, even with 4am starts.

MP.

For some reason I thought that the Run was there and back. Maybe it was Mike Askin's video that gave me that impression, or Carl's comment: "The great thing about the Jam'ole run is that you turn round and come straight back." Indeed London to Atherstone and back would be more sensible. I'd certainly consider doing that, even with 4am starts.

MP.

Sorry I was speaking as a Northerner.

I should have said "You can then go straight home."

This is your man Casper:

Hi all,

Its Tom here again. I would like to announce I am organising a Jam Ole Run 2010. It is going to be the 40th anniversary since the last delivery of coal to the Jam Factory in Southall so I would like to make it the biggest and best one ever. If you are interested, please don't say so on here because I haven't the time to keep checking this site, but if you could please email me on tomben@hotmail.co.uk. There is only space for around 12 - 14 boats due to the queues at locks and there will be plenty of crew needed, so get in touch, NOW!!

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Tom Stewart

Jam Ole Run Organiser

:lol:

Why? London to Atherstone and back to Bulls Bridge and thence home or am I missing something

The Tarporley idea seems a good one, to allow as many to go as is possible. Perhaps the Great Helmsman could do some costings?

Tarporley

Kings Cross, London

Blue Line, Braunston

Baddesley Colliery, Atherstone

Mitre Dock, Southall

Blue Line Braunston

Kings Cross, London

Total distance is 456 miles, ¾ flg and 386 locks. There are at least 8 moveable bridges; 26 small aqueducts or underbridges and 10 tunnels.

Made up of 69 miles, 1½ furlongs of narrow canals; 386 miles, 7½ furlongs of broad canals; 18 narrow locks; 368 broad locks.

This will take 147 hours, 12 minutes which is 8 days, 3 hours and 12 minutes at 18 hours per day

edit to add canalplan data

@4 mph 5 minute locks

Edited by JohnO

Thats how I did it in 2006:

http://shoestring.zapto.org/pics/JamOleRun2006/index.html

(This may or may not work depending on the state of my ADSL modem which is having a bad month)

Actually, a lot of time is wasted in the trip (late start on the Saturday, early finishes some days, and odd late starts, and Wednesday is hardly worth getting out of bed for!! :-)

Occasionally, I understand, they would get back to Braunston in 2 days not the steady 2.5 days of the 'Jam Ole Run'

Cheers,

Mike

Thats how I did it in 2006:

http://shoestring.zapto.org/pics/JamOleRun2006/index.html

(This may or may not work depending on the state of my ADSL modem which is having a bad month)

Actually, a lot of time is wasted in the trip (late start on the Saturday, early finishes some days, and odd late starts, and Wednesday is hardly worth getting out of bed for!! :-)

Occasionally, I understand, they would get back to Braunston in 2 days not the steady 2.5 days of the 'Jam Ole Run'

Cheers,

Mike

Having a late start one day or early finish is completely authentic. Our boat was moored immediately below Uxbridge lock in the 1960's and the Brays would regularly arrive some time in the afternoon, and either moor almost opposite us or in front of us on our moorings. If they moored opposite, they would set off on foot for Uxbridge about 6.30pm to visit the Cinema. They would then have a leisurly couple of hours to Southall the next morning. Yes they normally worked very long days, but it wasn't always rush rush rush as some people would have you believe.

Possibly coupled with the likelyhood that carrying on would leave them either outside the dock in 'no man's land', or inside and trapped. Uxbridge has facilities and entertainment close by, and a short morning trip would see them in the dock and available for unloading.

I know when I drove delivery vans, if we finished the round early, we didn't rush back to the depot and get lumbered with 'odd jobs' to keep us busy, the caff was far more inviting!

Derek

:lol:

As a Northerner too, I've found that London is best experienced by boat. (Well, apart from the Slough Arm)

MP.

Since when was Slough in London.... :lol:

Yes they normally worked very long days, but it wasn't always rush rush rush as some people would have you believe.

The Braunston lock keeper's log book I have (1962 - 64 inc.) shows the Brays, on average, taking slightly longer than the Whitlocks.

I know when I drove delivery vans, if we finished the round early, we didn't rush back to the depot and get lumbered with 'odd jobs' to keep us busy, the caff was far more inviting!

Derek

In the early 1960s a friend of my father was a long distance lorry driver working on a trunk service, London to Scotland, for which 5 days was allowed. Obviously prior to tachographs and sleeper cabs, Sam, having driven virtually non stop (just napping in a layby occasionally), used to be back in 2 days. He would then hide the lorry and had a second job for the other 3 days. :lol:

[quote name='Hairy-Neil' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:00 PM' post='419852'

The Braunston lock keeper's log book I have (1962 - 64 inc.) shows the Brays, on average, taking slightly longer than the Whitlocks.

I am sure you are correct, but of course the Whitlocks had three adults and two younger family members operating a pair, and Bill Whiltock was well known for the swiftness in which he could turn a lock The Brays only had two adults and one younger member, and Rose Bray, although mobile was not fast. I do not know where the Whitlocks moored prior to arriving at Southall, but somehow recall the Collins' sometimes mooring down near the Swan and Bottle in Uxbridge.

Since when was Slough in London.... :lol:

In the early 1960s a friend of my father was a long distance lorry driver working on a trunk service, London to Scotland, for which 5 days was allowed. Obviously prior to tachographs and sleeper cabs, Sam, having driven virtually non stop (just napping in a layby occasionally), used to be back in 2 days. He would then hide the lorry and had a second job for the other 3 days. :lol:

perhaps the Whitlocks did not go to he cinima as much

Having a late start one day or early finish is completely authentic. Our boat was moored immediately below Uxbridge lock in the 1960's and the Brays would regularly arrive some time in the afternoon, and either moor almost opposite us or in front of us on our moorings. If they moored opposite, they would set off on foot for Uxbridge about 6.30pm to visit the Cinema. They would then have a leisurly couple of hours to Southall the next morning. Yes they normally worked very long days, but it wasn't always rush rush rush as some people would have you believe.

The superhumnan qualities of the Blue Line crews has gone into legend - sure they worked fast because they took a pride in it but also because they wanted to get it done and moor up in favourite spots. I too remember the Brays arriving at Uxbridge on Saturday morning (for the Odeon and shopping) and then slipping off down to the Jam Ole late Sunday/Early Monday. Visits to Braunston were also usually enlivened at this time by one of the pairs tied up outside the marina sometimes empty, sometimes loaded. pausing to catch up with friends and relations.

In fact the contract was for 100 tons a week i.e. 2 pairs a week and Blue Line had 3 pairs on the job so they did have the chance for a day off every now and again. Although they could and did do a round trip in a week they couldn't have kept up this pace week after week - nor did they need to. Arguably it was the Willow Wren crews who actually worked harder as they sometimes did a coal trip south and a back load of wheat in 10 days.

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

The superhumnan qualities of the Blue Line crews has gone into legend - sure they worked fast because they took a pride in it but also because they wanted to get it done and moor up in favourite spots. I too remember the Brays arriving at Uxbridge on Saturday morning (for the Odeon and shopping) and then slipping off down to the Jam Ole late Sunday/Early Monday. Visits to Braunston were also usually enlivened at this time by one of the pairs tied up outside the marina sometimes empty, sometimes loaded. pausing to catch up with friends and relations.

In fact the contract was for 100 tons a week i.e. 2 pairs a week and Blue Line had 3 pairs on the job so they did have the chance for a day off every now and again. Although they could and did do a round trip in a week they couldn't have kept up this pace week after week - nor did they need to. Arguably it was the Willow Wren crews who actually worked harder as they sometimes did a coal trip south and a back load of wheat in 10 days.

Paul H

I would be interested to know what took you to Uxbridge in the 1960's. I spent almost every winter time Wednesday evening and all day Saturday between 1965 and 1971 on Pisces, which was moored immediately below the Uxbridge Lock Bridge, summer visits were a bit more sporadic depending on the cruising schedues. If you spent a lot of time there we must have seen each other, but apart from Hugh McKnight, I cannot recall any other person interested in Workintg Boats hanging around Uxbridge lock, unless you were on a boat, in which case I may remember the boat.

Edited by David Schweizer