Jam Ole Run 2010

The Boatman

Featured Posts

If the boats do not have to be former Working Boats, I could be up for it. I remember the Blue Line boats and their crews very well. It was a sad day when they finished.

Coincidentally I will be about the same age in 2010 as Arthur Bray was when he finished, but I won't be jumping onto the butty cabin from the edge of the lock in the way that he did.

Haven't read the book yet, but will, always like a good read.

Have found two references to 'noddy boats', one refers to the boater who always nods to other passing boaters, and the other refers to plastic boats.

Liked the 'Noddy' pic, brought back childhood memories that did, ta. :lol:

Edited to add, just realised a bit off topic, sorry, but it has bumped it.

Edited by johnjo

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Its Tom here again. I would like to announce I am organising a Jam Ole Run 2010. It is going to be the 40th anniversary since the last delivery of coal to the Jam Factory in Southall so I would like to make it the biggest and best one ever. If you are interested, please don't say so on here because I haven't the time to keep checking this site, but if you could please email me on tomben@hotmail.co.uk. There is only space for around 12 - 14 boats due to the queues at locks and there will be plenty of crew needed, so get in touch, NOW!!

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Tom Stewart

Jam Ole Run Organiser

:lol:

There is only space for around 12 - 14 boats due to the queues at locks

I think it's great that you've revived this, Tom, but could I ask how you set a limit at the number of craft who choose to navigate a certain route at a certain time?

If there are 14 boats booked in and someone chooses to turn up on the day, with their boat and tag along, will they be ignored, forcibly stopped from boating or arrested by the Jam 'ole police?

One of the problems I had with the old run was that the organiser ended up thinking he owned it (as proved by his announcement that it would be "the last ever jam'ole run", when he decided he didn't want to organise it any more).

I'd hate to think that the revived run was going down the same road.

From Atherstone to the site of the former Kearley & Tonge jam factory at Brentford.

Pedant alert!

Not really Brentford, which is where the GU proper joins the Thames.

The jam 'Ole is a very short way down the Paddington Arm at Southall, near Bulls Bridge.

OK, Tom says we should email him direct if we're interested, so I will, although in the past I have had no success in contacting him this way (when making enquiries about last year's run, for example).

But there's nothing to stop us discussing it here amongst ourselves too, so...

I would definitely be keen to participate, obviously now with Chertsey, although it would still be good if we could find a way to get Tarporley involved, maybe by negotiating a charter if enough people were interested and prepared to pay a few quid. (Note for those who don't know, Tarporley is now a community boat and available for private hire. I doubt the committee would want to go off on a trip that incurred expenses without some income, but as it's outside the main summer hiring period it might be possible to do a deal. It can take up to 12 passengers plus three crew, at least two of whom have to be from the organisation)