Jam Ole Run 2010

The Boatman

Featured Posts

Can't say I agree, but I've not seen that many "dressers up".

Neither the NBT, nor Friends of Raymond do, (do they ?).

Back on topic.....

Not as a policy as far as I'm aware. There were some in both groups who tried to look the part and others who wore high-vis and bermuda shorts..

There is, well certainly was in my day, some overlap in membership between the various groups. In my day, one leading Friends of President captain who was also a NBT steerer was one of the loudest voices for keeping the Narrow Boat Trust boats scruffy and in their interpretation of workaday. IIRC he was also the worst offender for leaving the boats with full toilets, smelly fridge and mouldy food in the cupboard.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Back on topic.....

Not as a policy as far as I'm aware. There were some in both groups who tried to look the part ........

What do we mean by "looking the part"? if it is a reinactment of the Jam'ole Run then ordinary everyday working men's/women's clothes of the 1950's/ 1960's is the correct attire, with Trilby hats or ex army berets for the men, and head scarves fro the women. There is no room for Red spotted neckerchiefs or bowler hats (or boiler suits!!)

And before you produce a photo to prove me wrong Alan, I know that Ernie Kendal sometimes sported a knitted wooly hat, and that Arthur Bray wore a "brown" neckechief, but not knotted at the front, it was wrapped round and the ends were tucked into the back of his jacket or jumper.

Edited by David Schweizer

Part of NBT's source of income is through donations made at public events, the issue of costume came up last year when some non members dressed up as a Victorian boating couple with all the handmade fripperies, posed for tourists/photographers at Little Venice. Standing and sitting on Brighton the couple charged the swarm of international photographers 20p a photo which went a fair way to paying for a year's worth of Brasso! This led me to think about this issue as it was obviously popular with the public who expect it when they go to these type of events where there is old things and old places. I suppose it relates to allowing themselves to imagine being able to timetravel back to a simpler age (the Black Country Museum mints it on this concept)

But at the end of the day what should be worn that compliments a 1936 boat is cheap servicable massed produced clothing from the 30's to the 60's. David Blagrove said that a cloth cap, donkey jacket, shirt, dungerees, and work boots about hits the spot and still available in the shops today. I believe this is what the Boatman favours and is practical attire while boating without being pretentious.

In the NBT it is down to personal preference to what is worn. But it is proven that to dress up for the punters does raise the donations.

I accept dressing up in traditioal Victorian costumes at a Waterways Festival for fund raising, but working a boat in that type of clothing, unless it is an early steamer or an ex horse boat is not representative of the history.