Cautionary tale

Featured Posts

Mindful of not wanting to permanently box off any spaces in the boat, but also not wanting hinged doors on every square inch of exposed panelling, I intend to use removable panels for less frequently accessed areas. My intention is to secure these panels with traditional roller clips. I had a wee look see on Screwfix, but then I also had to go to B&Q as I wanted some short curtain poles, too. Whilst there I checked out their roller clips, to see if I could save myself a trip. I was expecting a bit of a price hike, but Lordy! this is ridiculous.

10 for £1.95

1 for £2.14

Good grief! That's ... ridiculous!

But, saying that, they were neither use'n'ornament for me the other day. Had to get a bit of tubing with a 15mm screw on one end and 'something' on the other that would connect to an isolation valve. After spending half an hour of shelf browsing trying to find the right combination of bits I gave up and made the mistake of asking one of the staff. Fifteen minutes later I gave up and asked if there was any other DIY places near-by. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that there wasn't.

The aforementioned member of staff wasn't too chuffed when a passerby told me there was a PlumbFix near-by!

Five minutes in there, and less than half the price B&Q would have charged me (based on the bits they had.)

That's pretty much the norm with B & Q

I regularly buy the stuff from them because I want it now then take them up on their very kind of offer of refunding the difference plus 10%. I think, over the last 3 years, I've actually taken more money off them than they have taken off me.

They will try to get out of it.

They will use every excuse under the sun.

Do not try to argue with them. Make sure you get to speak to a manager then when he/she starts backpedalling just get out your 'phone and actually start to dial, tell them you are calling Trading Standards.

They will back down and honour the promise.

I have done just this on several occasions and nothing will ever get them to honour their promise until the mention of Trading Standards is made.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/offline-shopping-misc/b-q/1034507/

Gibbo

Mindful of not wanting to permanently box off any spaces in the boat, but also not wanting hinged doors on every square inch of exposed panelling, I intend to use removable panels for less frequently accessed areas. My intention is to secure these panels with traditional roller clips. I had a wee look see on Screwfix, but then I also had to go to B&Q as I wanted some short curtain poles, too. Whilst there I checked out their roller clips, to see if I could save myself a trip. I was expecting a bit of a price hike, but Lordy! this is ridiculous.

Appreciate you may not want to have anything visible, but would not brass screws and cups be cheaper and simpler?

Screwfix or Tool Station will always be substantially cheaper than B&Q or Focus. I use both of them all the time, They are both easy to use on line and delivery always arrives the next day (excluding weekends). Now that Tool Station give free delivery on orders over £10 you do not have to work up a big order to get free carriage either, but their quality on some items is a bit dodgey, you get to know which things to avoid.

You get screws with the catches from B & Qs

Which usually burr over, as soon as you apply any pressure. From experience, the best place for any screws supplied with fittings is the scrap bin. I always use screws of known quality for any fittings.

Edited by David Schweizer

Unfortunately it's a case of caveat emptor.

Many years ago I used to work in a "proper" ironmongers and hardware shop, and we got to know the stock and its potential uses inside out ... it gives me palpitations these days whenever I have to make contact with the staff (young or old) inside a modern "DIY" store .. they're great if you want to buy cushions or have someone programme the paint shaking machine but that's about it as far as I can see ... and don't even get me started on the poor grade plywood B&Q stock .. it comes complete with air gaps and woodworm holes ....

ooops ...

... steps down from soap box :lol:

10 for £1.95

1 for £2.14

Small neodymium magnets can be quite good for that kind of thing, 50 for £4 via Ebay for 6mm dia by 3mm thick ones.

cheers,

Pete.

You get screws with the catches from B & Qs

...and at a mere 49p each, they're a bargain!

Appreciate you may not want to have anything visible, but would not brass screws and cups be cheaper and simpler?

One of the items I've got marked down for storage in one of these hidey-holes is the pump-out hose. As I won't be needing it all the time, I'm prepared to dispense with a hinged door. But I don't want to be reaching for the screwdriver. Besides, I like over complicating things.

On the same trip to B&Q, I was looking for a broom handle, which I thought would be a good base for a short mast for me dinky satellite dish. They sold brush heads, but no handles. I found an assistant, "where are you're brush handles?", I enquire. "We do not have them, we only sell brush heads". My jaw begins a downward descent. "Have you tried a hardware shop?". My jaw hits floor.

One of the items I've got marked down for storage in one of these hidey-holes is the pump-out hose. As I won't be needing it all the time, I'm prepared to dispense with a hinged door. But I don't want to be reaching for the screwdriver. Besides, I like over complicating things.

On the same trip to B&Q, I was looking for a broom handle, which I thought would be a good base for a short mast for me dinky satellite dish. They sold brush heads, but no handles. I found an assistant, "where are you're brush handles?", I enquire. "We do not have them, we only sell brush heads". My jaw begins a downward descent. "Have you tried a hardware shop?". My jaw hits floor.

Ah! That's where we score. We have a brilliant traditional Furnishing Ironmonger's store in Trowbridge, Not only do they stock broom handles, they have a range five or six in differing dimensions.

They also sell fork handles and candles, I feel a Two Ronnies sketch coming on. :lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

How many "O"'s did you want??

any way - we have a panel secured by magnets- works fine

also for lighter panels - velcro...also works fine -

or screw it up in the middle and put a picture over it....

(ducks to avoid incoming)

Try looking in the Hafele catalogue - on line atlink, otherwise RS Components RS. You can also try talking to an architectural ironmongers - they usually know where to source catches etc for unusual applications. Far neater than using cups and screws is to use either pig-nosed bolts or recessed hex bolts.

Its all too true.

-Luckly, in loughborough, they are sited next door to each other. Ive only been in BnQ about once, for some knitted garden hose.

Intesting what you say about the Gibbo. I Might have to start giving that a go, sounds like a good laugh if nothing else.

Screwfix's 'quicksilver' screws are pretty good for what they are, and suitable priced as well. If you after screws for said catches.

Daniel

Sounds about right for BnQ.

- I was after some 20mm M8's once (sunday afternoon trailer repairs) and there priced at something stupid like 38p each and as i needed about 20 i nearly walked out untill a bit more rummaging found a pack of 10 20mm M8's, with nuts, and washers, for somthing like £50p. In the same section of the same shop. I had two!!

Daniel

Sounds about right for BnQ.

- I was after some 20mm M8's once (sunday afternoon trailer repairs) and there priced at something stupid like 38p each and as i needed about 20 i nearly walked out untill a bit more rummaging found a pack of 10 20mm M8's, with nuts, and washers, for somthing like £50p. In the same section of the same shop. I had two!!

Daniel

Ah! That's where we score. We have a brilliant traditional Furnishing Ironmonger's store in Trowbridge, Not only do they stock broom handles, they have a range five or six in differing dimensions.

They also sell fork handles and candles, I feel a Two Ronnies sketch coming on. :lol:

If you ever need anything like this and are in the Oxford area Smith & Low is the place to go. The steady stream of local tradesmen through the door is a dead give-away.

It's a real Two Ronnies sketch place. I think they have only recently ditched the brown coats.

I occasionally go into B&Q to remind myself how cheap things are elsewhere. I use builders merchants alot for timber but most other stuff I go to Toolstation in Peterborough the staff are very helpful and will let me look at things to see if theyre suitable.

As for Oils and engine filters I tend to use Agricultural machinery dealers, good value for money

10 for £1.95

1 for £2.14

I am probably incorrect but when I looked at the B&Q Site it looked to me to be a pack of 1 item for £1.95 and a pack of 10 for £15.76 hence their quote for "As low as £1.58 each"

Malabar

It may be of interest to note that Screwfix and B&Q are all part of the same group - as withn all hardware, it always pays to shop around. Even some chandleries can offer good deals subject to a little negotiation . . .