Cassette v pump out

Featured Posts

Thanks everybody for your help and advice so far with my a versus b options questions.

Next one is the loo......

When looking at which option to go for cassette or pump out when having a loo installed in a new boat or when buying SH. Boat will be used initially for extended cruising and eventually a 'live aboard....'

We were once seasoned caravanner's so are familiar with a cassette loo - but not sure about the frequency/availability of emptying points, pump out feels the better solution but of course has additional costs associated with it.

Help or advice please.....

Thanks everybody for your help and advice so far with my a versus b options questions.

Next one is the loo......

When looking at which option to go for cassette or pump out when having a loo installed in a new boat or when buying SH. Boat will be used initially for extended cruising and eventually a 'live aboard....'

We were once seasoned caravanner's so are familiar with a cassette loo - but not sure about the frequency/availability of emptying points, pump out feels the better solution but of course has additional costs associated with it.

Help or advice please.....

Although I have never had a problem finding a pump out in time - because I can look down the ole - I think Elsan points are more readily available and normally free to use. If you are used to a cassette then thats may be the way to go, especially if you can store a spare cassette.

Having said that I would still have a dump through pump out.

Boat will be used initially for extended cruising and eventually a 'live aboard....'

It depends possibly on your definition of "extended cruising", but I guess it means "away for weeks at a time", rather than lots of shorter trips. If so a pump out might not be a bad option.

If, like us, you make regular occasional use of the boat, (days and long weekends), then I'd say it's less suitable, and in our case a cassette suits our needs much better.

I'd not want to leave the boat for weeks at a time with "solids" in the tank, and I certainly wouldn't want to be paying for a pump out of a largely empty tank just to prevent that happening.

In fact we have spent periods of at least 3 weeks continuous boating, and I don't find the cassette thing in any way inconvenient. Even if permanently on board, provided there was a reasonable nearby sanitary station, I genuinely thing it would be my prefered option over pump out, which has too many down sides, in my view.

I do accept that many people say their pump outs don't smell, (although in my experience that actual operation invariably does :lol: ), but equally many do. If you don't believe me, go to Whilton chandlery and get the keys to around a dozen secondhand boats that are up for sale - I guarantee as you go into some you will know they have a pump-out fitted. (Maybe not all, but at least some....)

AH the old debate/battle Let the sparring commence :lol:

Whaddya mean, there is no need for debate.....................cassette with spare tanks is the ONLY way to go. There is no other choice and never will be!!!!!! :lol:

Roger

Retires to bunker to watch the fun.

Whaddya mean, there is no need for debate.....................cassette with spare tanks is the ONLY way to go. There is no other choice and never will be!!!!!! :lol:

Roger

ollocks

ditto

:lol:

Sorry,

Forgot to comment on availability/frequency of emptying points for cassette option.

I can only say that in the Southern half of the network, (we have not gone higher than the Trent & Mersey yet), it's no problem at all.

We actually carry two spare cassettes in addition to the currently in use one. But we have never had a problem emptying a filled one before the next one is anything like full. So the third one has so far proved a bit of an overkill, and has never been pressed into service.

Might be different if you were a full time live-aboard, and sanitary stations were icing up, though....

I think if one opts for p/o then a good sized tank is essential, 100 gal min., then you are able to p/o well before you need to (keeps things fresher) and save extra capacity for emergencies. I suspect that a lot of people are put off p/outs because of small tanks, I spoke to one couple who where told by their builder that they had a 100 gal + tank but turned out to be 40 gal. when I measured it!

Each has advantages and disadvantages, but there's no one answer as to which is best. Pumpouts can be left for longer between emptyng because of larger capacity, it's much less "hands on" that cassette, and it's much more like a "proper" loo to reassure non-boaty visitors. Conversely, pumpouts require money (normally) to empty it, you have to physically move the boat to empty the cassette (which is hard if you have engine problems, for example), and they can be frustrating. The pumpout in Cambridge doesn't work reliably and normally requires some hands-on tinkering with gaffer tape to establish a proper seal- which defeats the "distancing" point of having a pumpout!

Each has advantages and disadvantages, but there's no one answer as to which is best. Pumpouts can be left for longer between emptyng because of larger capacity, it's much less "hands on" that cassette, and it's much more like a "proper" loo to reassure non-boaty visitors. Conversely, pumpouts require money (normally) to empty it, you have to physically move the boat to empty the cassette (which is hard if you have engine problems, for example), and they can be frustrating. The pumpout in Cambridge doesn't work reliably and normally requires some hands-on tinkering with gaffer tape to establish a proper seal- which defeats the "distancing" point of having a pumpout!

If you're having trouble getting a seal between the end of the pump out hose and the hole in your boat, we saw one of those disposable polystyrene cups, with the bottom removed, used to quite good effect for that purpose. So much so that I keep meaning to get in a supply.

Roger

:lol: Fan bloody tastic.................. :lol:

Sail on the Great Ouse where apparently you can use a sea toilet and dump over board due to lack of facilities! In this day and age that is disgusting but true! :lol:

But we regularly get people on here saying it's OK to flick their dog's turds into the cut.....

I can't actually see why human turd is worse, myself. :lol:

Any bets on MJG's next thread?

I'm going for "Trad v Cruiser v Semi?"

Totally wrong Smart@rse I was going for normal v reverse layout. :lol:

But we regularly get people on here saying it's OK to flick their dog's turds into the cut.....

I have to admit I would rather the dog turd in the cut than on the towpath! I agree any turd is no worse than another. At least the rivers are moving though!

I have to admit I would rather the dog turd in the cut than on the towpath! I agree any turd is no worse than another. At least the rivers are moving though!

Some people claim that I never have anything good to say about British Waterways. This is totally untrue. British Waterways poo bags are excellent and far superior to those provided by other authorities or those which can be purchased privately. Albert has two porta poti 165's which give a capacity of about about 12 person days. In practice, I have found this sufficient and have never had to use a BW poo bag although I keep a supply on board.

I suspect I would use BW's system in preference to cassettes if bags were self-addressed and post paid. This would remove the need for BW collection points, allow me to save on "blue" and also express my views without having to write.

Allan

ps My daughter has seven dogs and they all agree - BW poo bags are the best!

We've hedged our bets - bought a second hand boat with pump out and brought onboard the portapotti from our caravan.

:lol: One of our favourite sports is finding the local McDonalds and pooing in their loo without buying anything :lol:

(never forgiven McDonalds for persecuting the brave young people who dared to protest against them - can't remember any names now but I'm sure others will)

Edited by Ange

We've hedged our bets - bought a second hand boat with pump out and brought onboard the portapotti from our caravan.

:lol: One of our favourite sports is finding the local McDonalds and pooing in their loo without buying anything :lol:

(never forgiven McDonalds for persecuting that brave young people who dared to protest against them - can't remember any names now but I'm sure others will)

Helen Steel and Dave Morris.

Their McLibel fight has provided me with the inspiration to persevere with my ongoing battle against Chris w's libel action, against me.

Helen Steel and Dave Morris.

Their McLibel fight has provided me with the inspiration to persevere with my ongoing battle against Chris w's libel action, against me.

Hmm - started and deleted - the reply was somewhere along the lines of you pooing in Chris W's toilet but maybe I shouldn't go there :lol:

Indeed. The East Anglian waterways permit the discharge of raw sewage into their rivers (the Nene and the Great Ouse principally). The problem with human waste is not the product itself, it is the dreadful cocktail of chemicals modern humans like to shove down their loos - the cleaners and bleaches. It is a problem even without chemicals where a whole conurbation discharges into a watercourse through one outfall, but not from single boats.

Flicking a dog turd into the canal is a far better choice environmentally than using a plastic bag to pick it up and take it to a bin. The bag has to be manufactured, the bin has to be emptied and the contents transported - to where? What is the carbon footprint of that? What harm does flicking it into the canal do?

:lol: In terms of postings, it's a bit of a one-sided battle isn't it. I can find plenty by you and none by him!

Richard

And you avatar still threatens to sue me every time I read it.