Cassette v pump out

Featured Posts

:lol: In terms of postings, it's a bit of a one-sided battle isn't it. I can find plenty by you and none by him!

Richard

And you avatar still threatens to sue me every time I read it.

The man threatened me with legal action, regarding a post he alleges I made.

I will continue to make comment about it, it's fun!

Oh and it was an aside to a genuine answer, to a genuine question, I see no harm.

Edited by carlt

The man threatened me with legal action, regarding a post he alleges I made.

I will continue to make comment about it, it's fun!

Oh and it was an aside to a genuine answer, to a genuine question, I see no harm.

Well, as long as you are having fun, carry on.

Richard

It's a bit confusing for everyone else though, this one-sided campaign without the original incident for us to judge against.

And I liked the Beford avatar...

Thanks everybody for your help and advice so far with my a versus b options questions.

Next one is the loo......

When looking at which option to go for cassette or pump out when having a loo installed in a new boat or when buying SH. Boat will be used initially for extended cruising and eventually a 'live aboard....'

We were once seasoned caravanner's so are familiar with a cassette loo - but not sure about the frequency/availability of emptying points, pump out feels the better solution but of course has additional costs associated with it.

Help or advice please.....

A couple of weekends ago, we met up with Paddingtonbear and he very kindly took us out on the Warrior for the afternoon. Once back in the marina, we all walked round to look at another boat nearby, which he plans to incorporate some hull design features onto his own boat and while we were there the owners of this boat invited us onboard for a closer look.

They are currently fitting out the boat and one thing we were shown was a very clever toilet waste system. I forget the name of the company that build it, but it works like a saniflow system. It has a mulshing box at the base of the toilet, which then pushes the waste materials along a small bore pipe 30 or 40 feet away to a large holding tank in the bow! The tank was over 6-foot wide (Full boat width) by at least 3-foot high and about 3-foot deep. (Around 1530 litres) Basically enough waste storage for months of use. We were impressed with what we saw. Thought I would mention it.

Edited by Steamerpoint

Well, as long as you are having fun, carry on.

Richard

It's a bit confusing for everyone else though, this one-sided campaign without the original incident for us to judge against.

And I liked the Bedford avatar...

Well Chris W is perfectly welcome to comment but he is probably feeling a bit silly, poor lamb.

Anyone who wishes to know the details, of the threatened litigation is welcome to PM me but, obviously, they will only get my side of the story.

Back on topic, though, the only real question is, do you want to cart your poo around, on your boat, for weeks, before paying someone to pump it all away or would you rather walk down the towpath, carrying your box of poo to the Elsan point, to clean it out yourself?

Well Chris W is perfectly welcome to comment but he is probably feeling a bit silly, poor lamb.

Anyone who wishes to know the details, of the threatened litigation is welcome to PM me but, obviously, they will only get my side of the story.

True.

But in his absence you have made a lot of your on-line personality into a continuing rant about something that can no longer be judged. Instead of the guy who held on to Lucy until she could be rescued, or the lifeboat owner, or the campervan owner you have become someone apparently obsessed. Your avatar says so, your signature says so and so do you by your posts. With Chris W not responding you are coming across as a bit of a nutter.

Fortunately I can recall how you posted in the past.

Richard

So I know you really are a nutter....

I'd rather have a pump-out, not because I think there's anything wrong with modern casstte type toilets, its just that carrying and emptying cassettes isn't for me. Another point to consider is the actual phyical effort required, this may not be an issue at the moment, but if you intend keeping the boat for a long time that might not always be the case.

As to being frozen in etc, this won't happen if you have a largish tank and a contents gauge - you just plan ahead - it really isn't an issue. However, walking down iced up towpaths to empty cassettes, definately is an accident waiting to happen.

Macerator(and vacuum) toilets also allow more freedom in respect to bathroom design because they can go on any wall and often in smaller places, because you don't have to be able to get to the cassette.

Downsides to a macerator (and vacuum) is they cost much more to buy and run and there is definately much more to go wrong, although in practice if looked after - particularly in respect to toilet paper - they are reliable.

I'm not taking sides or getting involved Carl, but I doubt he feels silly, he probably just said something on the spur of the moment. :lol:

I don't recall the posts concerned, but lets be honest we all say things we don't mean sometimes. We may be in a bad mood or have had a few to many sherberts at the time, or whatever, but we have to drop it at some point and move on. :lol:

As to being frozen in etc, this won't happen if you have a largish tank and a contents gauge - you just plan ahead - it really isn't an issue.

If you can plan ahead to forecast ice and bad weather I suggest that you would be better employed as a weather forecaster 'cos no-one else seems to be able to do it reliably. :lol:

Roger

Thanks as ever to everybody for the 'on topic' responses.

I think I'm erring towards cassette, and concede I hadn't considered the potential to carry a spare cassette. That's also based on the relevant Chapter in Living Aboard, by Corbie & Ford, which I've just bought and read.

They mention the macerator system too but I can't say I fancy carting such a huge amount of waste around around for so long.

They also refer to a composting system too but that seems a bit early in it's development to me.

If you can plan ahead to forecast ice and bad weather I suggest that you would be better employed as a weather forecaster 'cos no-one else seems to be able to do it reliably. :lol:

Roger

It doesn't take weather forecasting skills, if frost is forecast I look at the contents gauge and if needs be I empty a bit earlier than I normally would. I can easily last 5 or 6 weeks between pump-outs by which time I would probably need diesel anyway.

I'd rather have a pump-out, not because I think there's anything wrong with modern casstte type toilets, its just that carrying and emptying cassettes isn't for me. Another point to consider is the actual phyical effort required, this may not be an issue at the moment, but if you intend keeping the boat for a long time that might not always be the case.

As to being frozen in etc, this won't happen if you have a largish tank and a contents gauge - you just plan ahead - it really isn't an issue. However, walking down iced up towpaths to empty cassettes, definately is an accident waiting to happen.

Macerator(and vacuum) toilets also allow more freedom in respect to bathroom design because they can go on any wall and often in smaller places, because you don't have to be able to get to the cassette.

Downsides to a macerator (and vacuum) is they cost much more to buy and run and there is definately much more to go wrong, although in practice if looked after - particularly in respect to toilet paper - they are reliable.

I don't follow this?

If its possible to plan ahead to avoid having to move one's boat for a pump-out in the ice, then surely it's equally possible to plan ahead to avoid having to walk down icy towpaths with a cassette? I put mine on a trolley so I'm not carrying it, so its no more hazardous than just walking down a towpath which you'll probably have to do anyway just to get to and from the boat.

Anyway, just to add my tuppence-worth: I currently have a Vacuflush cassette toilet with a ceramic bowl but what would be nice is if it was connected to a cassette AND a pump-out tank via some sort of L-port valve so that you could choose.

Failing that I'd go for a cassette everytime. I had a pump-out on my first boat.

Edited by blackrose

Indeed. The East Anglian waterways permit the discharge of raw sewage into their rivers (the Nene and the Great Ouse principally). The problem with human waste is not the product itself, it is the dreadful cocktail of chemicals modern humans like to shove down their loos - the cleaners and bleaches. It is a problem even without chemicals where a whole conurbation discharges into a watercourse through one outfall, but not from single boats.

Flicking a dog turd into the canal is a far better choice environmentally than using a plastic bag to pick it up and take it to a bin. The bag has to be manufactured, the bin has to be emptied and the contents transported - to where? What is the carbon footprint of that? What harm does flicking it into the canal do?

Indeed. The Conservators of the Cam don't allow you to use a sea toilet, however, but there's still plenty of people and seemingly a commercial trip-boat operation which do. Bleurch.

Anyway, just to add my tuppence-worth: I currently have a Vacuflush cassette toilet with a ceramic bowl

I've got one of these in my front room (I only picked it up on Friday). It's great fun to play with, fill the bown right up with water, push the flush and WOOSH! The contents disappears :lol:

The best of both - a remote cassette tank and a normal (ish) loo.

Edited by ThePiglet

Indeed. The Conservators of the Cam don't allow you to use a sea toilet, however, but there's still plenty of people and seemingly a commercial trip-boat operation which do. Bleurch.

I would think the amount discharged by boats is far outweighed by ducks/swans/fish etc

As a woman, it was the choice between huge shoe cupboard or huge poo cupboard. I voted for shoes. It's cassettes for us. i don't have a washing machine for the same reasons, I need the extra storage space.

I do have two spare cassettes, though and on this trip, we have really needed them all. We've come accross a couple of places where the elsan point has been taken out of service. I'm considering buying a digging spade, because we might need to use it. (I use bio toilet liquid and not blue, BTW).

I don't follow this?

If its possible to plan ahead to avoid having to move one's boat for a pump-out in the ice, then surely it's equally possible to plan ahead to avoid having to walk down icy towpaths with a cassette? I put mine on a trolley so I'm not carrying it, so its no more hazardous than just walking down a towpath which you'll probably have to do anyway just to get to and from the boat.

To a degree, having a greater capacity means one can pick and choose when to pump-out. I have a contents gauge and in the winter I usually pump-out when its about half full, so that even if we had a sudden unexpected frost I could always last a few weeks. I accept others wouldn't want to do this because of the cost, but I only have to move from one side of the marina to the other and we don't have to pay.

Even if i didn't do this and took it to 5 or 6 weeks I would need diesel anyway so would be going out for that.

Its a personal choice, if I lived on my own I may consider a cassette, but I just don't fancy emptying other people waste so opted for what I have.

As a woman, it was the choice between huge shoe cupboard or huge poo cupboard. I voted for shoes. It's cassettes for us. i don't have a washing machine for the same reasons, I need the extra storage space.

I do have two spare cassettes, though and on this trip, we have really needed them all. We've come accross a couple of places where the elsan point has been taken out of service. I'm considering buying a digging spade, because we might need to use it. (I use bio toilet liquid and not blue, BTW).

I hear what your saying :lol: but like a said, macerators give more design options, you can put the tanks in places that you can't really use anyway. I have a 6ft bow deck(its a narrowboat) so have the water and waste tank under there. The boat is pretty conventional in lay-out with TV cupboard and stove at the front and steps if the middle, so I couldn't use the space behind these for much else anyway.

I don't think we'll all ever agree on this one. :lol: