River Weaver

Jayseaess

Featured Posts

We did it last year. Up river was nice, but not many good moorings, and only one pub.

Downstream was much nicer, with plenty of good moorings. Nice pub at Acton Bridge.

When you go down the lift you will be given an information pack which has details of moorings, pubs etc.

Enjoy! We did.

JayCee

We are planning our first trip onto the river weaver (August Bank Holiday week) any suggestion on mooring and pubs welcome?
Upriver is excellent - even try the Winsford flashes? The pub in Winsford was noisy when we were there, and generated this interesting discussion here

We are planning our first trip onto the river weaver (August Bank Holiday week) any suggestion on mooring and pubs welcome?

Thanks

Nigel & Jane

It may be advised to book a time on BH weekend, its quite cheap but does guarentee that you will not be waiting ages in a Q. Contact BW

Remember that the locks are manned so you are limited to working hours for lock passage.

Also beware the Winsford Flashes. They may look ok but it is possible to get stuck, very stuck!

In his youth (about 30yrs ago!) my husband went onto the flashes with a trad wooden boat --he was stuck for 3 days!!!!!!

Only got off by runing the engine in gear untill it has moved enough silt for him to back red faced out.

Agree that there are few pubs but the park at the bottom of the lift is great for a walk and a BBQ.

Winsford is there to make Stoke look posh.

However the Weaver is great. Go right to the end downstream and have a look out over the Mersey and the derelict gates at the end of the Runcorn canal. Stop by the Weston lock to have a look round. Marvel at the spaghetti that is the chemical works. A choice of pubs around Acton Bridge. Plenty of nice walks. Moorings a bit limited, but the "devils garden" is pleasant, especially if you are the only one there (ask the lockies about where it is - it is on a right hand bend going out. Northwich is a good stop. The town is so-so but there is (was?) a decent reasonably priced Italian restaurant just into the pedestrian area.

Vale Royal lock I think is closed so you won't get up to the flashes, but if you do it is well worth it, especially on a nice day. Just keep well over to the right going up. Head for the bouys up the top end past the sailing club (the proper one, not the little one on the way in).

I'm not sure how busy the lift will be on a BH. We usually turn up on spec to go down but book our passage back up - you do get occasional club trips and you could easily spend a day waiting for a passage to get back up if you haven't booked.

About half a mile before the flashes on you left is a field with what looks like an old slipway , locals run the dogs , teenagers drink cheap booze but no trouble at all ,stayed there several times to let the kids play footy ect great stuff.

About half a mile before the flashes on you left is a field with what looks like an old slipway , locals run the dogs , teenagers drink cheap booze but no trouble at all ,stayed there several times to let the kids play footy ect great stuff.

Hi

Thanks for all your comments, we are very much looking forward to our trip and the Anderton Lift.

Just one question, can anybody clarify 'On through Hunts Lock to Royal Vale Locks where we arrived luckily just 5 minutes before the appointed time. These locks are only open 4 times a day in each direction! Only I cannot see any mention in Nicholson's or the BWB site on actual opening times, other than when they open and close, no mention of only 4 times a day

Thanks again

Nigel & Jane

Hi

Thanks for all your comments, we are very much looking forward to our trip and the Anderton Lift.

Just one question, can anybody clarify 'On through Hunts Lock to Royal Vale Locks where we arrived luckily just 5 minutes before the appointed time. These locks are only open 4 times a day in each direction! Only I cannot see any mention in Nicholson's or the BWB site on actual opening times, other than when they open and close, no mention of only 4 times a day

Thanks again

Nigel & Jane

When we went two years ago, hunts lock was operated as normal but Vale Royal was only four times a day, this was because the small lock had collapsed and the large one uses a heck of a lot of water and the BW bods work it by hand. The idea is to conserve water and energy by penning several boats at once. In practice unless you missed the last locking it was never more than two hours to wait and it is a delightful spot.

However, I think BW are now repairing the small lock which will solve that problem.

Have overnighted at Barnton Woods (just in sight of Saltersford Locks, Northwich (one or two good pubs) Vale Royal and on the Weston Cut almost under the M56, safe and surprisingly quiet. No problem with any of them although only Northwich has a handy pub. Other people have moored at Acton Bridge

Its not often very busy so if you phone ahead the lock-keepers will usually set the lock for you. Alternatively if you ask the lock-keepers they will phone on for you - they're very friendly and helpful people.

Apart from Northwich and the farm shop at Acton Bridge the Weaver isn't really that well served for local shops.

Just out of curiosity have any of you ever done the Runcorn/Ellesmere Port cruise via the ship canal?

I fancy trying later in the year and then coming back via the Middlewich branch and wondered if anyone had any comments about the trip.

You will need to have your boat surveyed by an approved MSC surveyor before you can go on the MSC. They charge about £30/- I think for canal dues between the Weaver and Ellesmere Port. BW need 48hours notice for Weston Marsh lock.

Hope this helps..

cheers

Alan.

Just out of curiosity have any of you ever done the Runcorn/Ellesmere Port cruise via the ship canal?

I fancy trying later in the year and then coming back via the Middlewich branch and wondered if anyone had any comments about the trip.

It can get a bit choppy!

Following your enquiry, I notified Waterscape that they didn't have details on their stoppages list - see River Weaver Stoppages. This has now been rectified. Well done BW!

• 8 months later...

Hi Dave,

I shall let you know after Easter. I'm taking Ariel down onto the Weaver before hand, then running down the Weaver, and out onto the Ship Canal, returning the same way after Easter. I'm looking forward to the trip :lol:

Thanks

Nigel & Jane

Fine mooring above DUTTON locks, also just below the lock as well. There is a water point at Acton Bridge if you want to stay around that area for a day or two.

Thanks

Nigel & Jane

Is it a private boat or a hire boat ? Just be aware that some hire companies don't allow their boats onto The Weaver. We hired a boat quite a few years back and took the lift down to The Weaver and went as far as Vale Royal lock before returning to Northwich for lunch then back up the lift. Several years later when we hired from them again, they made it abundantly clear that their boat was not to go onto The Weaver... even though we hadn't intended to go there anyway!

I'm on the Weaver most of the time. The lock keepers tend to operate the locks as you arrive then telephone ahead to the next lock if needed. The best place to stock up on supplies is Northwich town centre between the two swing bridges , the only pump out on the river is there to. I have never been up to Winsford and the red lion does have a bit of a reputation . Have been as far as Vale Royal though which is very pleasant but not to may places to moor. My favouite place to moor has got to be barnton cut just up river from saltesford , you can walk up into barnton from there as well. further down river good mooring at acton bridge with two good pubs. Never actually found devils garden but people do go on about it, think its just a field with a cow in it ! Its worth mooring at sutton bridge and walking into frodsham which is a nice town and further on theres marsh lock again worth a look at least. You will enjoy the Weaver its a beautifull river with loads of history. Make sure have enough desiel before you come down the anderton as you can't get any on the river. enjoy !

Black Prince at Acton Bridge will also bring their tractor down the road and do a pump out for you, and I assume you could also arrange for them to bring a couple of drums of diesel for you, and coal, if it was needed.