Lucy is afloat!

carlt

Featured Posts

Diesel engines make CO2 and trees absorb CO2.

By running your engine you're feeding a tree and helping the environment.

Excellent news for Lucy, I hope finance and circumstances do not interfere greatly with the ongoing work.

:lol: Perhaps - but we need wood! (Not that running an engine will create trees overnight - or the total of mans output if changed, even measurable!)

Baldocks's signature has more truth in it than a whole department of government 'scientific advisers'. Current levels of CO2 by ppm are way below Earths average over the last 350,000,000 years which has ranged between 250 to 2,500ppm. The current swathe of 'Emissions Policies' are nothing more than tax generaters, and the propaganda - mind control.

http://www.ilovemycarbondioxide.com/index.html

Sleep tight - Derek

Lift on Thursday.

A cradle has been built, from RSJs which will be lowered into the water and Lucy will be floated over it and this will be craned out, supporting the boat.

Having spoken to Pete, this morning, it appears that he is planning a side by side replica build.

I saw them working on Lucy as we went by over the bank holiday weekend. good to now that things have gone well (apart from the finger!)

Will there be nothing (other than some fittings) saveable and used from Lucy in the new boat in terms of the hull timbers etc?

When we came by ( at tick-over) there was a chap in the water (in a dry suit) but that didn't stop the boat behind us steaming in at water sking speed!! nutter!.

Will there be nothing (other than some fittings) saveable and used from Lucy in the new boat in terms of the hull timbers etc?

When we came by ( at tick-over) there was a chap in the water (in a dry suit) but that didn't stop the boat behind us steaming in at water sking speed!! nutter!.

All the ironwork, some fittings but very little hull timber will be worth saving.

The man in the dry suit was Martin, owner of the wooden ice boat Pelican.

All the ironwork, some fittings but very little hull timber will be worth saving.

The man in the dry suit was Martin, owner of the wooden ice boat Pelican.

A shame but not surprising I suppose given how she looks and how long she has been in the water. Still, if we can't have the old boat restored the next best thing will be to see a new rebuild of the design. Since they have taken such great care to retain as much as they can and record her dimensions etc we can safely assume (I hope) that it will be a very faithful near archaeological re-production. I look forward to progress and the completed boat.

As I have said before there is a piece of me that will miss seeing Lucy even in the state she was. Each time we lose something like her from the canal scene we take another step away from what the canal was all about. It can indeed all seem too tidy sometimes!

A shame but not surprising I suppose given how she looks and how long she has been in the water. Still, if we can't have the old boat restored the next best thing will be to see a new rebuild of the design. Since they have taken such great care to retain as much as they can and record her dimensions etc we can safely assume (I hope) that it will be a very faithful near archaeological re-production. I look forward to progress and the completed boat.

As I have said before there is a piece of me that will miss seeing Lucy even in the state she was. Each time we lose something like her from the canal scene we take another step away from what the canal was all about. It can indeed all seem too tidy sometimes!

As this is a total rebuild using just the salvaged iron work I would like to suggest that the new boat should carry a name highly associated with the boat, that of Rosie Whitlock. To rename the new boat Lucy when so much of it is new would be a shame and I am sure that everyone who knew the Whitlocks and the boat would be very happy to see the Whitlocks so honoured.

As this is a total rebuild using just the salvaged iron work I would like to suggest that the new boat should carry a name highly associated with the boat, that of Rosie Whitlock. To rename the new boat Lucy when so much of it is new would be a shame and I am sure that everyone who knew the Whitlocks and the boat would be very happy to see the Whitlocks so honoured.

The boat will already have a name associated with the boat, though.

The boat is named after Lucy Knill, the mother of Sir John Knill, who commissioned her construction.

The boat is named after Lucy Knill, the mother of Sir John Knill, who commissioned her construction.

You got there before me Carl. I was going to make the same point. It would be nice if her grandson Jenkyn could be present at the re-launch when the project is finished, he is still involved in boating and ows a boat you would die for, the Lady Lena.

He has a web site here:- http://www.ladylena.co.uk/index.html

Edited by David Schweizer

Very well said. Jenkyn would love to be at the re-launch, he might even bring Lucy`s Buckby Can as painted by Frank Nurser. Having both restored ex FMC Viceroy and Lady Lena I wish you the best of luck with the project.

Very well said. Jenkyn would love to be at the re-launch, he might even bring Lucy`s Buckby Can as painted by Frank Nurser. Having both restored ex FMC Viceroy and Lady Lena I wish you the best of luck with the project.

Sorry did I write Buckby, I meant either Braunston or water.

Yes, with my mouth so close to the microphone, I had to suppress a cheer. It was all a bit emotional.

I'll bet it was!

It is always a point of debate I suppose when a rebuild of something like this is done be it it a boat car or anything in terms of how much of the original still has to exist to claim it as the original article. However, whether we consider it a re-launch or a launch of a new boat built to the same design with some metal parts of the original I don't see why the result can't be called Lucy. That at least along with the spirit of the old girl can live on.

I once helped build a Concourse Morris Minor Van. The only things left from the original vehicles identity was the cab roof and a couple of bits of the cab structure plus a few fittings you could have fitted most of it in a small box and the back axle. Basically the main thing the original van gave us was it's chassis plate and reg number. The rest of the vehicle was either new fabrication or new/old stock bought in. Once completed the owner at shows used to claim that the vehicle was 100% original. In one way it was as mostly the parts were genuine factory items (except the chassis) but the impression the statement left was that the car had just been cleaned up and re-sprayed.

It is always a point of debate I suppose when a rebuild of something like this is done be it it a boat car or anything in terms of how much of the original still has to exist to claim it as the original article. However, whether we consider it a re-launch or a launch of a new boat built to the same design with some metal parts of the original I don't see why the result can't be called Lucy. That at least along with the spirit of the old girl can live on.

If Laura Carter and, now, Sir John Knill's son, are happy for the name to remain, then that is good enough for me.

At the end of the day it is up to Pete, as the owner to name his boat anything he likes.

It is also worth noting that, if Lucy were a seagoing boat, she would be described a "composite" vessel, having a great deal of ironwork, in her construction.

It isn't just the timbers that make up the boat.

If Laura Carter and, now, Sir John Knill's son, are happy for the name to remain, then that is good enough for me.

But what do you reckon "Raymond" should be called, though ? :lol:

But what do you reckon "Raymond" should be called, though ? :lol:

It doesn't really matter.

They built a boat that wasn't a faithful replica of the original woodwork but chose to retain the name.

I object more to their "restoration" banner, than the name.

In some ways, by retaining the name, any resto/replication project is providing a rod for its own back because there will always be anoraks turning up and pointing out discrepancies.

Raymond is less accurate than most but they all have their faults, some positively glaring.

I once helped build a Concourse Morris Minor Van. The only things left from the original vehicles identity was the cab roof and a couple of bits of the cab structure plus a few fittings you could have fitted most of it in a small box and the back axle. Basically the main thing the original van gave us was it's chassis plate and reg number. The rest of the vehicle was either new fabrication or new/old stock bought in.

I know it's not always been the case but that would break the current DVLA registration rules if done today. The vehicle you built would under the rules be classed as a 'Reconstructed Classic'. It would need to be certified as a replica by the relevant car club. Exempt from BIVA (formerly SVA), it would be given an age related registration as insuficient components were used from the donor vehicle.

I know it's not always been the case but that would break the current DVLA registration rules if done today. The vehicle you built would under the rules be classed as a 'Reconstructed Classic'. It would need to be certified as a replica by the relevant car club. Exempt from BIVA (formerly SVA), it would be given an age related registration as insuficient components were used from the donor vehicle.

I know of quite a few shiny new Land Rover Defenders running on pre-73 Series ids, their Dorian Grayesque chassis, rotting away in the back yard.

Yes, with my mouth so close to the microphone, I had to suppress a cheer. It was all a bit emotional.

I seem to recall you shouted out "I've changed my mind!" but went quiet when Pete suggested there would be a bill! :lol:

Tony.

Edited by tony collins