The Admiral Nelson, Braunston.

Hazza

Featured Posts

According to a notice in the Braunston Marina office/ shop, the pub shut because not enough people were coming in through the doors.

.........and because the experience wasn't that great for those who did. :lol:

A famous history, and a good location is not enough these days - under the old management it was in the "must try harder" category, at least when we visited.

Anyway lets hope for greater things from who ever has taken it on. I could be sampling it in about..... a week, I think!

Looking forward to a positive review I hope-its on my route for the summer as well :lol:

Well I've just been told elsewhere that I think the worse of everyone, (or something like that!), so positive reviews may not be a speciality!

Well I've just been told elsewhere that I think the worse of everyone, (or something like that!), so positive reviews may not be a speciality!

As long as you say the beer isn't poison/gnats piss etc we will know it's OK then! :lol:

I hope the new owners do turn the pub around and make it what it deserves to be as the last time I was in there (some time last year I think) like you I wasn't that impresed. It wasn't awful just not anything special.

the last time I was in there (some time last year I think) like you I wasn't that impresed. It wasn't awful just not anything special.

Yes, that would exactly describe our experiences, I'd say.

The trouble (for them) being that lots of places are very good, so given a choice, which do you go back to, of course.

Yes, that would exactly describe our experiences, I'd say.

The trouble (for them) being that lots of places are very good, so given a choice, which do you go back to, of course.

If you don't venture from the towpath, though, there isn't much competition (unless you like your food completely desiccated).

I hope that the new people actually try and run the Nelson as a Canal side pub, and not like a West End Resturaunt. The last time I went in there , I had to book and wait about an hour for a table even though tha place was nearly empty, and when the food did eventually arrive it was mediocre to say the least.

All I want, and I suspect most boaters want is a friendly pub with good beer, and decent modestly priced food which is produced fairly swiftly. I do mot want a fancy hostess in smart suit standing sniffily at the bar looking down on anyone who isn't wearing a jacket and tie, we were certainly made to feel inferior by the arrogant 20 something old who seemed to be ruling the roost on the evening we called in.

I wish the new people all the best, and will try to call in when I am next in Braunston.

According to a notice in the Braunston Marina office/ shop, the pub shut because not enough people were coming in through the doors.

Maybe that's becasue the doors weren't open. Two of the last three times we tried to go there last summer they were closed.

.........and because the experience wasn't that great for those who did. :lol:

The last time we did go there (and not find them closed) there was definitely something wrong with the beer. It was clear OK, but it was flat almost colourless and completely tasteless. I wished I'd had a hydrometer with me.

I look forward to trying it again just after Easter (when we're going to Braunston for blacking)

Ah ha!

I spoke to the landlord, at the time, of the Wheatsheaf in the village. Not the "nicest" of pubs I've been in, anyway he was having a moan that the owners of the other pub nearer to the church, can't remember the name, has bought the Millhouse to cut him out completely and close him down. I felt sorry for the guy but then again as mentioned in another thread by others, if you want to survive in this market place at the moment you have to be better than your other competitors.

He was wearing a football shirt (Liverpool I think)that I had seen him wearing for at least three days walking his dog on the towpath past the marine.

The pub need investment, which i have to say he probably didn't have available.

I went to the Nelson once and it was shut and I could see people inside. October last year. I was trying to have a swift gulp whilst taking the dog for a walk. had to go into the vill. Serves me right I suppose.

Why? What have you heard? :lol:

Jim and his brother (I forget his name) own just about all the land and main structures, around Braunston, including all the land on the A45, right up to the Stophouse. If they buy the Millhouse next, who knows where they'll stop.....

Jim and his brother (I forget his name) own just about all the land and main structures, around Braunston, including all the land on the A45, right up to the Stophouse. If they buy the Millhouse next, who knows where they'll stop.....

Is Daventry on the market?

Is there any chance they could be persuaded to "own" that large land-slip outside the tunnel.

Any maybe relocate it somewhere more boater friendly ?