Salters Lode

pearley

Featured Posts

Many of you may not know of Michel Van De Berge's "Walking the BW" website...it is getting on for having a picture of virtually every lock, bridge and structure from a towpath perspective.

http://www.thebw.net/

Wow, what an extraordinary achievement - thanks for pointing out the site, I'd never discovered it.

Many of you may not know of Michel Van De Berge's "Walking the BW" website...it is getting on for having a picture of virtually every lock, bridge and structure from a towpath perspective.

http://www.thebw.net/

Thanks for that neil. I knew it was somewhere but had never got around to finding it.

Disappointing that he missed our boat by about 2 ft.

• 2 weeks later...

A new notice has appeared on the Middle Level Commissioner's website:

It is unfortunately now unlikely that the Salter's Lode Lock will be operational on Good Friday 9th April 2009. This is as a result of the continuing difficulties being experienced by the contractor in successfully commissioning the new guillotine gate. Work to address these issues is ongoing and updates will be posted on the website as they become available.

It is not possible at present to provide a firm date for the re-opening of the lock.

Boaters who urgently need to move their boats either in to or out of the Middle Level system who would have used this lock should ring the Middle Level offices to see if any assistance can be given.

ARSE. (That's from MP, not ML)

At least they are providing web-based updates now: thanks to all who pointed out the woeful communication. Paul, the lockkeeper is doing a sterling job keeping cheerful and answering phone queries.

B******s!

I don't know if I want to stay on the Great Ouse much longer. Jeannette and I are going stir crazy going between Cambridge and Ely. I wonder if their assistance runs to craning out?

I wonder if their assistance runs to craning out?

From the phone conversation I had with Paul, I think it may well run to craning out. Phone and ask, they can only say no.

MP.

Maybe they've got a way of getting boats through at level tide?

My understanding is that the new guillotine gate won't go up and down reliably. In those circumstances I guess that the last thing they want to do it remove the temporary sheet piling isolating the lock from the river. Don't forget that you generally lock down from the river to Well Creek and standing at the lock with your back to the river the land as far as the eye can see is lower than the river. Letting the tide into that through a stuck guillotine gate would be a Really Bad Day.

MP.

My understanding is that the new guillotine gate won't go up and down reliably. In those circumstances I guess that the last thing they want to do it remove the temporary sheet piling isolating the lock from the river. Don't forget that you generally lock down from the river to Well Creek and standing at the lock with your back to the river the land as far as the eye can see is lower than the river. Letting the tide into that through a stuck guillotine gate would be a Really Bad Day.

MP.

Blimey, anyone would think guillotine gates were a new invention. Perhaps they should ask the EA how they get theirs to work.

Blimey, anyone would think guillotine gates were a new invention. Perhaps they should ask the EA how they get theirs to work.

They're flying in the designer, from Holland, tomorrow. I guess the Dutch know a bit about them too. Maybe it's history, the ML talks to the heirs of Vermuyden before it talks to the heirs of the NRA.

MP.

Have been told today that they now hope to reopen in two weeks. Tide was let in yesterday - to check sealing? Have been offered a temporary mooring at Cathedral Marina in Ely, paid for by the contractor.

Have been told today that they now hope to reopen in two weeks. Tide was let in yesterday - to check sealing? Have been offered a temporary mooring at Cathedral Marina in Ely, paid for by the contractor.

Did you talk to Paul the lock-keeper or the Middle Level office?

Apparently when the water was let in it leaked like a sieve.

MP.

ARSE.

Seconded.

I get into Ely specially early on Friday to bag a mooring, get a prime spot literally outside the pub, and then hear that the MLC have had unexpected difficulties.

Right now, we should all be in that pub. But we're not. :lol:

B******s!

I don't know if I want to stay on the Great Ouse much longer. Jeannette and I are going stir crazy going between Cambridge and Ely. I wonder if their assistance runs to craning out?

It's not that bad... I'm sure I've seen your boat out and about, and in Cambridge a few times.

I noticed yesterday evening that a boat was moored at Upwell staithe facing away from Salters Lode. It went past our house (which is between the staithe and Marmont Priory lock) this morning and it certainly is not a boat which is moored near here - green with red rear panel, about 45ft, Ailsa Craig 2-cylinder engine so it's quite distinctive (and sounds lovely). So I guess the boater must have come through Salters? I was too busy inquiring about his engine to ask him!

I noticed yesterday evening that a boat was moored at Upwell staithe facing away from Salters Lode. It went past our house (which is between the staithe and Marmont Priory lock) this morning and it certainly is not a boat which is moored near here - green with red rear panel, about 45ft, Ailsa Craig 2-cylinder engine so it's quite distinctive (and sounds lovely). So I guess the boater must have come through Salters? I was too busy inquiring about his engine to ask him!

Perhaps he simply turned round when he found it closed!

does anyone have the telephone number for salters lode lock to pre book?

many thanks!

01366 382292

You're a boater when .... you have the phone numbers of all the local lock-keepers in your mobile.

MP.

Edited to add: the announcement from the MLC said that there is further work to do which may need short but short-notice closures, so pre-booking and liaising with Paul is a Good Thing to Do.

Edited by MoominPapa

Now its open again here is a time lapse video of the trip from Salters Lode to Fox Marina on the Middle Levels

http://blip.tv/file/1237843

Enjoy

Biggles

Also a crap speeded up video of mine of the Salters Lode to Denver Sluice trip at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZ0LHQjx24

Tim